Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #24
Russell Reay

Default Re: Computer on Wheels

I concur with all the bad reviews of the latest electronic add-ons. Most states have outlawed hand-held devices because they are a distraction to the driver, but the default electronics of the vehicles are just as bad. I can't adjust the heater, fan, etc w/o looking at the dash--used to be able to operate by touch alone. I don't use GPS at all. The few times I have tried, I find the screen to be a major distraction, and if you touch the wrong button the wrong way at the wrong time, the screen can be wrong, but you don't discover it until it's too late. Paper maps are never wrong. Before I bought my A, I googled Craig's List frequently for vehicles using search parameters 1930-1990. We need to recognize that the American legal system is the real cause of this problem, not the car makers. Every driver who causes an accident will be represented by a lawyer whose sole mission is to have him exonerated. Every automotive engineer/ team who creates a bad design and the firm that manufactures it will not be held accountable. If they were, the stock price might drop, and stockholders will scream. The solution is to impose requirements that over-burden 99% of the population so that the perps can escape any penalty for their mistakes.
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote