Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default '40 front fenders

I discovered a friend has a set of 40 fronts for a 'farm truck' project. I am thinking this is a better use of the 4wd chassis I have than the 'sportsman' project. Upon more inspection the frame just isn't up to that standard. It's an off brand chassis with the same track width as the 40 but not the 42-47 so I am chasing down some sheet metal. I have a '47 cab and a '47 factory truck cowl. I also have a 41 pickup hood. Looks like the hood is a good fit to my cowls and I can fabricate brackets for the '40 fenders. The fenders were described as kinda rough which could be ok with me. I will see them today. Will they work out all right with my later cowl? I don't know if they have the headlight assembly. Hope so. Then I need a serviceable grille. I would most likely build a small flatbed, perhaps a pto winch with a small wrecker boom that was made from model A frame rails. I have both. A guy has to have a project.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: '40 front fenders

If anyone can make everything fit it will be you. Looking forward to see how things progress.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
cas3

go man go ! still have 40 deluxe grill sides if you need them
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:15 AM   #4
Clem Clement

Go for it. You can do it!!!

I collect homey-did prewar trains. Built during the wars and depression by a retired mechanic, Gramps, out-of-work person with a barn full of metal parts for some good reason like for his grandson, replacement for a broken train, freight car, etc. I'm amazed at the material and skills displayed. Especially the love built into the project. I hold a particularly good loco made from regular kitchen containers. Ladies who visit love guessing what the can/lid/top came from. A friend's grand dad said to Al one day, "wanna go out to the barn and build a steam engine?!!!!!" Al still runs it and his grandson is in line to get it next.

Ask what you need: I sure some Barner's may have some fun parts you can use. A Barner got me an original pair of curb scratchers for the driver's side of my '39 peekup. Momma's side has the white walls and she don't want no curb scratchers on her pretty side! (You would be surprised how many folks do not know what curb scratchers are!!)
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:58 AM   #5
skidmarks

If they are 40 passanger car fenders, all you need is a pair of pliers to make them fit the cowl and cut off the 42 to 47 front fender bracket thats spot welded to the edge of the firewall and drill a hole for the 40/41 L shaped fender bracket.

If using 40/41 running boards, drill holes to match.

Drake use to have a picture that shows thw difference in car and pickup fenders
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
GB SISSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks so much for the support! I know that this is somewhat outside the intended scope of this forum. I don't really know what CAS's deluxe grill sides are. The two halves that form the grille? I will assume they will work and much appreciated! I will get a photo of the fenders and post it up.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 10-03-2020, 04:15 AM   #7
Mart

I don't think you will want deluxe parts, the 40/41 sheetmetal uses a standard grille.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
GB SISSON

I did some searching when FB was down. Looks like the deluxe uses a different hood. I will go look what my hood is. It has this big waterfall looking ribbed latch assembly. Maybe a 41 pu hood? Also looks like the fenders may be different between a deluxe and a standard. I just may head over now and see what these fenders are. They are 2 1/2 miles away. Same chevy guy I bought 8 flathead blocks from 3 years ago. Perfect neighbor, huh?
Old 10-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #9
cas3

prime example of "one mans trash is another mans treasure"
Old 10-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
GB SISSON

Dangit, I didn't get to see the fenders yesterday. We are painting the front of the house while we have a long dry spell. Really gonna try to get there today. I did get 4 large sections of the body sawn off the donor vehicle. Horrible work removing a rusty 4 door station wagon body. One more thing, was the '41 pu available with the inline six? Thinking about spacing between firewall and radiator.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:00 AM   #11
Mart

The 41 pickup was available with the six. They got a deeper drop in the front crossmember to accommodate it. Not all 41s have the deeper crossmember, it may have come part way through the model year.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #12
skidmarks

6 has a different fender brace yoke which is very hard to find, different radiator mounts which there are a pair in the swap meet section now.

The car front fenders are the same for standard and delux which isnt a problem. Its the grill center and making a pickup a deluxe takes 2 hoods to do it. A deluxe car hood and the back of a pick up. And they look terrible when done
Easier to use a 39 delux grill

Also the the 6 has a different gas pedal but that can be found off trucks up to 47 with a 6 motor
Old 10-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #13
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
If they are 40 passanger car fenders, all you need is a pair of pliers to make them fit the cowl and cut off the 42 to 47 front fender bracket thats spot welded to the edge of the firewall and drill a hole for the 40/41 L shaped fender bracket.

If using 40/41 running boards, drill holes to match.

Drake use to have a picture that shows thw difference in car and pickup fenders
Here's the Drake drawing...'40 "fronts" on the bottom half of drawing! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #14
GB SISSON

OK guys, many thanks! I have 2 gas pedal assemblies from a six. My buddy brought the 40 front fenders by this afternoon since he was free and I had to help my wife paint the house. He also brought by a '40-'41 tailgate in case I was gonna build it a pickup. Also in the deal is a 41 pu hood. I already have one sitting on my cowl assembly, but he said his is better. Also 3 more headlight rims, two with nice chrome you can see sitting on the front bumper. All this in trade for a double sided porcelain sign in block letters that says 'service station'. It was pretty cool, but sat on a shelf covered by parts and was never seen. I'm thinking I need the 'U' shaped radiator support that connects the fenders and supports the radiator. At least that's how the jailbar trucks are put together. I can fab one up but without a grille I'd need the distance between the front fenders... Here's a few pictures. Maybe someone can guess what the chassis is. It's a 1979 and all 4 of my kids learned to drive in it. I have owned it since '84. Last year of the body style and first year they had power steering. 4wd, PDB etc. OH and still a manual choke in '79! I was inspired by the marmon herrington converted woodie wagons I have seen online. Might need to lose the 7.50 16s and go to a 6.50 16 to fit the wheel wells. ????? So far the payout is two sawzall blades...... Also to note. The entire frame will be stripped to a ladder frame, including the steering shaft. Power steering box has double u joints for EASY hookup to ford column and coulmn drop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg project 1.jpg (87.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg project 2.jpg (85.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg project 3.jpg (73.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg project 4.jpg (80.3 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0863project 5.jpg (74.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0886project 7.jpg (83.8 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg project b8.jpg (80.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg project 9.jpg (80.6 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 10-04-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #15
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
6 has a different fender brace yoke which is very hard to find, different radiator mounts which there are a pair in the swap meet section now.

The car front fenders are the same for standard and delux which isnt a problem. Its the grill center and making a pickup a deluxe takes 2 hoods to do it. A deluxe car hood and the back of a pick up. And they look terrible when done
Easier to use a 39 delux grill

Also the the 6 has a different gas pedal but that can be found off trucks up to 47 with a 6 motor

So, it sounds like I should get on that 6 cyl 41 rad mount, huh?
Old 10-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #16
skidmarks

I was thinking you were using a stock frame. With your set up i wouldn't bother with the stock 41 radiator mounts for the 6. Better off making something to fit.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:50 PM   #17
GB SISSON

The old wagon was a part of family history. Yesterday I drove it to where I started cutting it up in front of the shop. Everything still worked. Heater, directionals, Hi-Lo beams, all running gear, recent clutch etc. The body had rotted off from road salt, most of that from trips to British Columbia in the winter. Everyone said I should haul it off for scrap, but I just thought it needed a new body. I had taken good care of it for most of my adult life. For years I just figured I'd build some kind of jailbar contraption on it, but the track width is way off. But then '40 stuff is very collectable and expensive so it was always on the back burner. Bit by bit '40-'41 stuff showed up and the cummins powered '47 tonner is done and the woodie pretty much, except it always needs another coat of varnish. Winter is fast approaching and what is winter without a challenging project? The first picture is this wagon in it's heyday and the second one is off the net. The second one is the same chassis as mine but looks like it has big tires and maybe a lift. Both no-nos in my book. I am not trying to build a restorod, just trying to find some kind of body to cover up my old family ride, and ford stuff is what I have and have some connections to. Edit: I added a third photo of it with more of it's rusted body before removal.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55tow45.jpg (80.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 55frame.jpg (43.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg FJ55 half stripped.jpg (91.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 10-04-2020, 09:51 PM   #18
cas3

man, some guys got it all. cool old panel truck, old school tire machine, even a v2 rocket layin in the weeds !
Old 10-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #19
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
man, some guys got it all. cool old panel truck, old school tire machine, even a v2 rocket layin in the weeds !
That's a Vietnam era drop tank . A6? My kid and I cleaned up a property and there were 5 of these. That night I went to friend's places and rolled one off my trailer onto each of their their property. That left me with one, and some really puzzled buddies when they woke up. I now have 2 of them and dream of a catamaran with a FHV8 with a pusher fan mounted on the platform between them. A bucket seat in front of the mill. It's great to dream.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #20
flatford8

“I now have 2 of them and dream of a catamaran with a FHV8 with a pusher fan mounted on the platform between them. A bucket seat in front of the mill. It's great to dream.”

Sounds like your scheduling NEXT winters project!!!!.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote