Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #21
KiWinUS

Default Re: New Master cylinder weeping in back around piston

Tim brake seals should NOT swell up. If they did it could cause the pistons in either master &/or wheel cylinders to stick. I have seen this with AP racing master cylinders and worked with their engineers in England to resolve the issue. They had made a batch of seals with wrong material.
I have used several of that same master cylinder with zero issues. I dismantle all new master & wheel cylinders clean them polished their bores with a tool I have made to hold a strip of scotchbright that I use with high speed drill motor clean again. Paint with brake fluid resistant paint. Clean once again & assemble using nothing but brake fluid as a lubricant. All of our race components are also assembled with brake fluid only as a lubricant.

Last edited by KiWinUS; 09-08-2020 at 01:40 PM.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Tim brake seals should NOT swell up. If they did it could cause the pistons in either master &/or wheel cylinders to stick. I have seen this with AP racing master cylinders and worked with their engineers in England to resolve the issue. They had made a batch of seals with wrong material.
I have used several of that same master cylinder with zero issues. I dismantle all new master & wheel cylinders clean them polished their bores with a tool I have made to hold a strip of scotchbright that I use with high speed drill motor clean again. Paint with brake fluid resistant paint. Clean once again & assemble using nothing but brake fluid as a lubricant. All of our race components are also assembled with brake fluid only as a lubricant.
Tony, I think you're right. I kick myself for not taking it apart first. It was purchased from a friend who had it on the self for some time. I jumped on it since it's a US made unit.

Just for piece of mind sake, I'll clean up the bore and put a new seal in it.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #23
KiWinUS

We now QC all seals by soaking them in brake fluid for at least a week prior to use to be sure they do not swell in any way shape or form.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #24
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
We now QC all seals by soaking them in brake fluid for at least a week prior to use to be sure they do not swell in any way shape or form.
Interesting
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote