Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2017, 11:44 PM   #21
Paul Bennett

Default Re: H-F class action suit

Hate they have 4 different prices for the same thing! FOUR. MSRP, Coupon, Club, and Internet and they just smile. I'd rather pay 2 or 3 times for something made in US or Europe. My son-in-laws HF rule: but nothing electrical or with a blade. So, I got some nice moving blankets for $6.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:55 PM   #22
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bennett View Post
Hate they have 4 different prices for the same thing! FOUR. MSRP, Coupon, Club, and Internet and they just smile. I'd rather pay 2 or 3 times for something made in US or Europe. My son-in-laws HF rule: but nothing electrical or with a blade. So, I got some nice moving blankets for $6.

US made moving blankets are available for $39.95...

https://www.movingblankets.com/usa-m...single--80-lbs

Can we assume you will be returning the HF ones?
Old 03-17-2017, 02:30 AM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bennett View Post
The warning tag says not to use it as a sleeping blanket. Maybe we can start a lawsuit for calling it a blanket, since it isn't a real blanket.

BTW, I sleep on them and under them when I'm at a swap meet and sleep in my car.

Sale on brains, now $2 a pound. Compare with TV lawyers brains at 30 cents a pound.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:54 AM   #24
Steve Wastler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
this site says the settlement pool is 3million http://www.classactionrebates.com/se...arbor-freight/ I dont know what the lawyers get above that. But in this you need recipts to get anything over 10$ and to get the 10$ you need to fille in writing by mail. I dont think there will be many class members. this is the lawyers site handling it with filing info http://www.nationalsalepricesettlement.com/index
Here's a paragraph from the email I received a bit more than your 3m figure:

"If, after payments for all valid claims have been calculated, the total amount paid to Class Members, plus administrative fees, plus attorney’s fees, is less than $23 million, Class Members with valid claims may be eligible for additional compensation on a pro rata basis. The amount of the additional compensation will depend on what kind of documentation provided with your Claim Form, whether you opted for a cash payment or a gift card, and the number of valid claims."

I agree with Tom and others all I'm worried about is final cost to me which I feel things I have purchased there have been very reasonable
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #25
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Lots of misinformation in this thread.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #26
Tom F OHIO

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Is a WIDGET a small Woman? Sounds like a GOOD deal to me
Bill Strange
Bill, how many alias's do you have. Maybe Bill - HF??
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #27
Terry, NJ

Ronn, I own a VW TDI, but older than those affected, and I won't buy another German Car. Why? certainly not it's fuel mileage, which is excellent! Certainly not the car's handling, which is the same as my SAAB 9000 (Excellent!) It's the fact that it's over engineered (It's a German Thing) and their propensity to want to be the vendor for their cars for the rest of the car's working life. All the fluids, buy the manual, everything from the engine oil to the ATF, antifreeze, brake fluid, Have I forgotten anything? All are proprietory! Dealers substitute Castrol Synthetic for engine oil, but that's the only thing Every thing else must be purchased from VW. Maybe not enough research has been done. But this is not a good thing and I'm not going to play their game.And don't get me started on their key chips! Screw VW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Ever heard of VolksWagen ? It does not get more reputable than that.

and they had their best year ever and outsold everyone else......................

sometimes bad press is good press!
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #28
Bob Bidonde

My experience with class action suits is that the lawyers managing the suit get the biggest slice of the award for service and administrative fees. Individuals participating in the suit get very little out of it.

The class action suit I got involved in was with GM and their defective automatic transmissions circa 1980. I settled on the side with a GM VP, so my transmission repair was paid for.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #29
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Ronn, I own a VW TDI, but older than those affected, and I won't buy another German Car. Why? certainly not it's fuel mileage, which is excellent! Certainly not the car's handling, which is the same as my SAAB 9000 (Excellent!) It's the fact that it's over engineered (It's a German Thing) and their propensity to want to be the vendor for their cars for the rest of the car's working life. All the fluids, buy the manual, everything from the engine oil to the ATF, antifreeze, brake fluid, Have I forgotten anything? All are proprietory! Dealers substitute Castrol Synthetic for engine oil, but that's the only thing Every thing else must be purchased from VW. Maybe not enough research has been done. But this is not a good thing and I'm not going to play their game.And don't get me started on their key chips! Screw VW!
friend of mines was affected, had a choice of them buying the car back for msrp or get a check. he decided to keep the car and take the $7k+ check.

Yea i wouldnt own a modern VW - ive always heard they have electrical issues alot.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #30
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I wouldnt own a SAAB either ....lol
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #31
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I wouldnt own a SAAB either ....lol
you mean its not part military jet like their commercials claim?!?!?
Old 03-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #32
Tom Wesenberg

I'm not sold on many of the newer cars, but I do own a few VW diesel Rabbits from 1979 and 1980, and they are excellent (except for the water leaking past the windshield and onto the fuse box), plus they all get 55 MPG, and are easy to work on.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #33
fiddlybits

What happened to "caveat emptor"????? I think this guy is an idiot and does not want to accept responsibility for his own stupid mistake.

...or for that matter "common sense". (oop...forgot...it's not so common anymore)

Common sense is that thing that makes you look up a couple of sources for an item that you are going to buy and comparative shop...with one of the items being how much use is this tool going to get.
I do brake line fabrication all the time so I didn't buy any of the tools from HF...I spent $250 for a ktool international flaring tool.
BUT.... I occasionally do truck transmissions...so I got the HF lift for $hundreds less.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #34
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
A few years ago there was someone that went around and looked for products with a patent number on it. Styrofoam cups and the like that have the patent number as part of the mold. He would then look up the patent and if expired, would sue the company for each item with the patent number on it. Made a small fortune!
Hmmm, is it really illegal to sell a product with an expired patent? Why? Do you have source material for this? I'm really interested in doing further research. Thanks.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #35
Jeff/Illinois

HF-------- Harbor FREIGHT......whew when I first read this I thought somebody was suing Henry Ford
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #36
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
My experience with class action suits is that the lawyers managing the suit get the biggest slice of the award for service and administrative fees. Individuals participating in the suit get very little out of it.

The class action suit I got involved in was with GM and their defective automatic transmissions circa 1980. I settled on the side with a GM VP, so my transmission repair was paid for.
After my second GM transmission failure that GM COULD NOT FIX I have NOT bought another GM product and WILL NOT. None of my children drive GM products. The second one was 48 miles out of warranty and the best GM headquarters would offer me was free parts if I paid the labor.

Guess who won. I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me.

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #37
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Hmmm, is it really illegal to sell a product with an expired patent? Why? Do you have source material for this? I'm really interested in doing further research. Thanks.
I think he means that it is illegal to sell an item with an expired patent IF it still carries the patent number on the item

(I have no idea if this is actually true or not)
Old 03-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #38
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

Supreme court says yes
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #39
PC/SR

Yep, lots of mis-information here. I just do not understand why some folks think it is OK for a business to lie about their product and get away with it.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #40
CarlG

I received the notice of the HF class action via eMail a couple of days ago. I pretty much just ignored it, didn't bother to actually read all of it.

I just figured that it really wasn't worth my time, since if I totalled up every thing I have ever bought from HF, and I was awarded 100%, I wouldn't have enough to buy Sunday Dinner.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote