Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
rtruax

Default Rivnut for Rumble Seat Hinge?

Has any one used a rivnut for attaching the hinge to the rumble seat lid? I am considering doing so on my 68A.
rtruax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Rivnut for Rumble Seat Hinge?

Why??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
rtruax

I am building a 68A from parts. The deck lid that I have is a trink lid and I need to change it to a rumble lid. This requires changing the hinges. From what I have been told, it is very dificult to hold the nuts inside the deck while attaching the bolts that hold the new hinges. Thus the rivnuts. Rivnuts are a product that I have just recently heard of and have no experience with. If you have a better way, I am all ears.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
gweilbaker

It's the modern day equivalent of the d-nut, go for it.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
walt jones

rtruax,
How to Restore Your Model A volume 3 pages 18 & 19 discuss how to make a Hinge Braket Baking Plate. In the article captive nuts are brazed to the plate. I used Rivnuts instead. I drilled holes for them expanded them and brazed them in as well. I felt that the baking plate would give the hinge to lid joint more strength than just mounting the Rivnuts in the Rummble Lid alone. I brazed the Rivnuts to eliminate any tendency for turning do to loose installation. Good luck with your project
Old 04-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #6
eystein

I just did the same conversion for my 1930 Cabriolet. I feel that the backing plate is needed to get the required strength for the hinge attachment.

There are mixed opinions on whether the lids were originally strengthened where the hinges attached, but I think that they were.

I have not had the chance to take apart an original rumble lid, but. When converting, I drilled out the D- nuts for where the bracket that support the trunk lid in the open position attached. The metal was definately thicker and strengthened at that point. So that makes me belive that the lids were strengthened internally.

By the way, to be original, you should remove the D-nuts and weld shut the holes drilled for the trunk lid attachments/ supports in the lid. Photos that I have seen of restored Cabriolets seem to suggest that the mounting holes for the trunk position in the rain gutter should be left in place.
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
tmiller6

I would not use a riv-nut on a rumble lid. There is insufficient bearing area to support the load from the passengers' backs. I have removed riv-nuts from junk yard car doors by pulling on mirrors and distorting the metal enough for the mirror to come off without ruining its die cast bracket.
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
John Stone

Glad I just found out I should not use riv-nuts to hold the rumble seat hinges. Been in my roadster since 1988. Only have 50,000 miles on it. Probably not going to change them.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
rtruax

Thanks to all who have shared their knowledge. It sounds like I have a decision to make. I'll let you know how it all turns out.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
eystein

Here are some photos of the backing plates that I made for my Cabriolet. I threaded (no 12) pieces of iron and welded them on the backing plate

You assemble plate, bolts and nuts to the hinge, and bolt it all together. This will locate the nuts perfectly with respect to the countersunk in the hinges, while you weld it up. By the way, you should also put spacers of sheet metal of the same thickness as the lid panel between the backing plate and hinge while you are welding it up. If you do not simulate the thickness of the lid in this way it will end up wrong.

Also, just came to my mind -another argument for using the backing plate is that you can drill the holes in the lid inner panel slightly oversize, and thus have an additional possibility of adjustment when you mount the lid to the car.

Finally, you should be aware of the differences between original and repro hinges. There are several threads on that subject here, so do a search.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nutplate 1.jpg (41.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Nutplate 2.jpg (41.0 KB, 57 views)
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #11
Teun

I did and it looks to work great.
Teun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
karasmer

How about just using 1/4 inch flat bar to make the backing plates and tapping the holes instead of welding the nuts?
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Kevin in NJ

Some advice.

First off if you have an original lid then ONLY use original hinges. The repros do not fit in well. In fact, originals on an original lid practically set in the exact correct spot. Try it, the hinge just wants to be in one place. I had a darn near perfect original 28-29 lid and was amazed with how well the original hinges fit the spot. The repros SUCK!

What ever the method of attachment, the hinge saddles must lay against the sheet metal. I know some of the rivnuts I have seen were not alway flush. Personally I believe your best choice is a plate with nuts pre-attached and slid up behind.

If you have not been to my website you might what to go see my section on rumble lids.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

I used 1/4 X 20 riv nuts on the rumble conversion on the coupe in 1994 and have had no problems at all with it.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
Bill in SoCal

If you have an original trunk lid with hardware, you might be able to make an even trade for an original rumble lid with hardware. Could save you a lot of time and fitting. Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #16
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtruax View Post
Has any one used a rivnut for attaching the hinge to the rumble seat lid? I am considering doing so on my 68A.
Where are you located? I want to change out my '29 54A rumble for a trunk. Maybe we can make a deal.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote