Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2021, 03:39 PM   #21
JayChicago

Default Re: Inner Tubes for Radials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post
Also the purpose of the safety wheel is to help keep the tire on the wheel during low or complete absence of air pressure.
That's another reason I felt more comfortable with tubes. Feared with tubeless, I get to the storage garage and find a slow rim leak caused a flat tire. And the fix may not be simply airing-up the tire. If the flat tire bead rolls off the wheel, then I am looking at having to pull the wheel/tire and a trip to a tire shop.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #22
STEVE O

Sort of a stupid question, but do they make tube type radial tires? I've never seen them, but they may exist. If there is no tube type radial tires then what are radial tubes made for if not to be run in a tubeless radial tire. So far I've done fine with radial tubes in my tubeless radial tires with Kelsey Hayes true wires.
Stay safe
Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:15 PM   #23
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE O View Post
Sort of a stupid question, but do they make tube type radial tires? I've never seen them, but they may exist. If there is no tube type radial tires then what are radial tubes made for if not to be run in a tubeless radial tire. So far I've done fine with radial tubes in my tubeless radial tires with Kelsey Hayes true wires.
Stay safe
Steve

Many 16" radials from Coker are listed to require tubes.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:17 PM   #24
STEVE O

Curious if they have the ribs on the inside that would rub a tube?
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #25
petehoovie

Coker 17 inch Radial Tires for my '34. This, from the Coker Tire Site >

SKU688901
GTIN 00842199101751
Brand Excelsior
Product Size 550R17
Tire Construction Bias Look Radial
Sidewall Style Blackwall
Radial Aspect Ratio 80
Rim Diameter 17
Overall Diameter (in) 28.5
Section Width (in) 5.7
Tread Width 4.60
Rim Width (in) 4.50 - 5.00
Max Load Capacity 1279@41 psi
Speed Rating S
Load Index 89 Construction Ply 6 PLY POLY/STEEL
DOT Approved Yes
Tube Type or Tubeless - Tube Type

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 03-13-2021 at 09:00 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:41 PM   #26
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post
JFYI, Dodge introduced the safety wheel in '40, many years before tubeless tires were first used here in the U.S. by Packard in '54. Also the purpose of the safety wheel is to help keep the tire on the wheel during low or complete absence of air pressure. And I'm not that old!

V8 Bob has the straight skinny on the history and purpose of the safety bead on the rims. One of Chrysler's many innovations.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #27
rotorwrench

Ford didn't use safety rims till long after the flathead era. The wheels on my 51 Mercury cars don't have them and they are still riveted. The 5 on 5.5" X 15" wheels for the mid century Mercs use large diameter outy mount hub caps and have a large center hub hole so I'm stuck with them. They have had tubeless tires since the early 70s and do just fine as long as a person slows down for the sharp turns.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #28
JimG

I have been following this thread with interest, as well as the one recently on driving on 12 year old Coker tires.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=coker+tires

My current radials are seemingly in good shape but old. That thread got me thinking about replacing them. My 34 fordor currently has aftermarket 15" wire wheels with P225/70R15 tires. These are pretty wide, and I do prefer the look of the more original narrower tires. I don't know how wide the wheels are, but according to tire websites, they must be 7 to 8" wide. I don't have access to my car right now to verify.

If I am getting new tires, I was considering changing wheels to stock 17" x 3.25" wide wheels, which I would have to buy and get painted, so this is a fairly major decision. However, I would still want to have radial tires. I have been wondering if I would need to have tubes for these tires. As Petehoovie posted, the Coker tires for these wheels say they are designed to use tubes. I haven't been able to find any tires on line that say they don't require tubes. Are there any radials for 17 x 3.25" wheels that don't require tubes? Does anyone run tubeless radials for 17 x 3.25" wheels?

I know there are other issues to consider as well. Would have to compare the diameter of the new standard size tires to the current ones and make sure they would fit, as my car has been lowered somewhat. The narrower tires would fall further inside the wheel wells, so that could help. Would also need to consider the impact on the speedometer.

Here is a picture of my current wheels and tires. Still just considering it at this time and trying to get all the facts. Thanks for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1377_p72_resize.jpg (66.3 KB, 29 views)
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #29
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Ford didn't use safety rims till long after the flathead era. The wheels on my 51 Mercury cars don't have them and they are still riveted. The 5 on 5.5" X 15" wheels for the mid century Mercs use large diameter outy mount hub caps and have a large center hub hole so I'm stuck with them. They have had tubeless tires since the early 70s and do just fine as long as a person slows down for the sharp turns.

Hopefully, the person will also not need to make an unplanned "sharp turn" at speed to avoid debris in the road or a vehicle pulling out in front of him/her. When the tire bead comes off the rim seat at speed, the rim can dig into the ground and then things get very interesting.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:22 PM   #30
hotrodA

After retiring from 35 years in the medium commercial tire business, I can offer some info on tubes.
Radial tubes should have the following benefits over bias tubes:
*Heavier gauge rubber
*Wider splice overlap
*Heavier valve stem base
All characteristics to deal with the additional flex inherent in the radial tire’s construction.

Tubeless tires are tubeless because the compound of the inner layer of rubber, or liner, resists the migration of air molecules through it, plus they have a slightly tapered 7* bead angle that coincides with the same angle on the rim’s bead seat area. This helps lock the bead to the rim.

The tube is merely an air container to prevent air loss through the porous liner. Any penetration (nail) results in instant air loss and the potential for rapid tire deterioration and control issues.
The liner of the tubeless tire is designed to close around a penetration and minimize or stop the air loss.

The safety bead rolled in to the steel rim helps to keep the tire’s bead from being sucked in to the drop center of the rim under low inflation or high side load, again resulting in loss of stability and control.

Farm tubes are not intended for highway use; only slow moving, relatively straight ahead operation at speeds less than 20 mph. They lack every feature of a radial tube.

Don’t risk it!

Last edited by hotrodA; 03-19-2021 at 07:39 PM.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:09 PM   #31
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Incidently, I also run 'dynabeads' in the tubes, the fun part is the filling, but they are most excellent!!
How many ounces of beads do you run? And how do you fill the tubes - squeeze bottle?
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:43 PM   #32
Brian

Yoyo, It's been a while since I did it; I've had zero issues since, so I am unable to tell you how much I put in, however the website told me. The filling is the fun part; I followed the instructions on the website, and modified to suit. I used a 'sauce ' bottle; I guess you guys would call it a ketchup bottle; a bottle with a tapered nozzle...I filled the bottle with the required amount of beads. Used a bit of clear plastic tubing of appropriate size to fit over the threaded portion of the valve stem and onto the spout of the sauce bottle. Idea is, remove the valve from the stem, fit the plastic tube onto v/v stem, pour some beads down the tube [you can see them because the plastic tubing is clear], until they've backed up about an inch into the tube, remove bottle, insert a compressed air duster gun over tube and blow the beads into the tire. Repeat until all beads are installed.
Now, I had trouble doing this initially, the beads would back up and refuse to blow into the tube. I figured there's like a flap of rubber at the base of the valve stem that was plugging up the works...I used a drill bit in a drill through the valve stem to clear this obstruction. Worked better after that. Don't drill through the opposite side of the tube!! All in all, the entire operation to fill 5 tubes took around 2 hours.
sorry I can't be more concise!
Old 03-20-2021, 11:45 PM   #33
Brian

When using the air gun to blow the beads in, don't give it a continuous burst, rather a puff, puff, puff, suddenly they'll all just disappear into the tube!
Old 03-21-2021, 03:48 AM   #34
Graham Freeman

Have you tried changing the backs for the fronts and see if they still loose air?
Graham Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote