Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
Nabco

Default Getting Pure Gas

I'm at my house in No Carolina for a few weeks, so n the mountains with a lot of farming, right now I'm sitting on my front porch looking good at about 30 head and for cattle in a neighbors field.

Anyway stopped for some gas coming back from town, it's 25 miles to the closest grocery store, it was a Marathon station and they had ethanol free gas. Went in and talkiled to the owner, turns out the two stations across the street had it too, these are about 6 miles from my house.

I'm thinking about getting 3 or 4 five gallon cans and bringing it back to Ohio. That said it is not easy getting the gas from a can into the A, even if transferred to a one gallon can.

So I Google'd portable gas pump and found this.....

https://www.amazon.com/TERAPUMP-Gene.../dp/B00M1WBRKM

Looks pretty good with good reviews.

Any thoughts.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Getting Pure Gas

The effort and cost is more than the benefit gained and if you have to store it for a long period you will have to buy and add a stabilizer. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
ModelAMike1930

Why not invest in a small trailer that way you can haul some home..
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I agree it's better using a pump than trying to pour in the gas... I made up an electric fuel pump to do this but cost wise this is in the ballpark... Should work fine for ya...

Watch traveling through tunnels sometimes they ban vehicles carrying gas..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
700rpm

Mitch, aren't you concerned about a spark with your electrical pump? Or is it isolated or grounded in some way for safety?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
Nabco

Question, let's say I bring back 20 gallons with me, right now I've been adding about 5 gallons every couple weeks, I never fill it all the way, when I add gas I Gillis to about 8 gallons total.

Would it make sense, when adding gas, put 50% crappie gas and 50% pure to make the good gas last longer or would having any crappie gas still be am issue.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Ray
It's the same as the pump being installed on the car except it's on the ground. I have a fuel hose going into the can and a fuel hose going into the gas tank.. The pump is powered by an external 12v source
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #8
Karl Wescott

check this link: http://www.buyrealgas.com/Ohio.html. This shows several locations in Ohio that have ethanol free fuel in Ohio.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #9
Tiny

3-4 gallons? That's not going to last too long. That would be an afternoon for me. I drive my car all the time, put MMO in and only have an issue when its over 110 degrees out, like today. I think the people that have the most issues with the crap gas are those that don't drive there car much. It sits there absorbing water vapor out of the air, or at least that's my theory. If you don't drive it much I'd recommend keeping it really low on gas and just adding fresh when you're going to cruising
Old 08-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #10
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
3-4 gallons? That's not going to last too long. That would be an afternoon for me. I drive my car all the time, put MMO in and only have an issue when its over 110 degrees out, like today. I think the people that have the most issues with the crap gas are those that don't drive there car much. It sits there absorbing water vapor out of the air, or at least that's my theory. If you don't drive it much I'd recommend keeping it really low on gas and just adding fresh when you're going to cruising
3 or 4 five gallon cans, not 3 or 4 gallons
Old 08-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #11
todd3131

I have a plastic five gallon can that has a valve on it for starting and stopping the gas. I raise the hood lift it to position and once it is in place hit the button and it flows right in. Once it is close or if you have someone watch the gauge just take your finger off the valve it shuts right off with no mess or gas on the paint. Almost better than a punt that way. I purchased it several years ago at a Menard's.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #12
holdover

"Would it make sense, when adding gas, put 50% crappie gas and 50% pure to make the good gas last longer or would having any crappie gas still be am issue." The reason I use it is to avoid the possibility of water in the gas, for which the 10% mix you buy can be famous for. As I posted before it destroyed a new '65 mustang fuel tank and sender sitting over the winter. never again in a classic, plus you can't just order a new take for a '29. Your mileage may vary

Last edited by holdover; 08-17-2016 at 09:47 PM.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

I pour gas from 1, 2 1/2, and 5 gallon cans all the time, and don't see a problem. If the can is full then use a funnel. A couple weeks ago I bought good gas and made the mistake of putting it into a dirty container. When I got home from the station I poured the dirty mix into a 5 gallon clear glass jug and let it settle out for about 10 days. Today I syphoned 3 gallons off into a gallon clear glass jug, then poured it into my Model A. It's getting hard to find clear glass 1 gallon containers these days. Everything comes in plastic.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #14
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I pour gas from 1, 2 1/2, and 5 gallon cans all the time, and don't see a problem. If the can is full then use a funnel. A couple weeks ago I bought good gas and made the mistake of putting it into a dirty container. When I got home from the station I poured the dirty mix into a 5 gallon clear glass jug and let it settle out for about 10 days. Today I syphoned 3 gallons off into a gallon clear glass jug, then poured it into my Model A. It's getting hard to find clear glass 1 gallon containers these days. Everything comes in plastic.
Tom I have aboit 15 5 gallon glass carboys I use them to make wine, probably not to good putting gas in them though.

Find a wine making shop in your city, all cities will have at least one, they will have the 5 gallon glass containers for sure.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #15
leadpot

Isn't premium ethanol free? If not I've been wasting my money
leadpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:55 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadpot View Post
It's only corn crap free if the pump has a sign saying "Contains No Ethanol". Otherwise you can bet it's the common crap gas.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:40 PM   #17
Benson

There are a number of stations listed:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH

Of the closest stations here both have only Premium as pure.

On site I posted look at OCTANE column to see which grades are offered.

Some stations it is all grades.

Last edited by Benson; 08-20-2016 at 05:39 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:51 AM   #18
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadpot View Post
It is very rare to find non-ethanol premium in most states. In fact, most premium is made from 87 octane non-ethanol regular. Adding the ethanol raises the octane to 92.
I found two stations in Idaho last week with non-ethanol premium. The cost was about one dollar a gallon over regular gas with ethanol.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:39 AM   #19
stillwater

I recently did a net search for ethanol free gas in Ind/Illl. and found many stations that sell ethanol free fuel. Aviation and Marine outlets are good places, and there are quite a few others. The ideal way might be to get one of the old outdoor gas tanks like farmers typically use. It can cost more for delivery, but if they will bring this kind of fuel, this may be the way to go. I've considered installing a larger fuel cell in the bed of my A pickup and putting a tonneau cover over the bed. Could make longer trips that way.

This would work great for me, as my old Ironhead Sportster likes good 'ol gasoline too.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:11 AM   #20
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
It is very rare to find non-ethanol premium in most states. In fact, most premium is made from 87 octane non-ethanol regular. Adding the ethanol raises the octane to 92.
I found two stations in Idaho last week with non-ethanol premium. The cost was about one dollar a gallon over regular gas with ethanol.

In my area it is just the opposite ... it is only Premium that is pure.

On site I posted (post 17), if you check Octane column it tells which stations are reported as carrying which grades.

This site has info posted and updated by customers ... so you can help make site better by posting!

Last edited by Benson; 08-18-2016 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Change info about Octane column.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote