Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
RichPA

Default Winter project

Would like to start out by saying I am a "lurker" on this forum mostly because the majority here are restorers, and I am just the current caretaker of my 29 Briggs 3 window Fordor. Fordbarn is probably the best source of information for these cars anywhere and and has saved me a lot of time, money and work in my efforts to get this car where I want it to be.
The car has never been restored but rather has been maintained as Henry designed it over the years.(Very little modern updates). The PO supposedly bought it from the family that bought it new, had it for about 3 years and tried to fix it, only to give up after 2 years, lost interest and then sold it to me. the interior has been replaced with vinyl, the engine was replaced with a good rebuilt unit and the rear fender appear to be repro.
When I got it in 2010 it would barely start and ran poorly, the steering was very tight and loose at the the same time, the only thing that happened when you stepped on the brakes was the stop light came on, the in line fuel filter plugged up with rust after 10 minutes of running, coolant overflowed constantly and when you hit a bump in the road she would change lanes. The battery was hooked up backwards which created all kind of problems.
So far I have removed and cleaned the fuel tank (no sealer), went through the brakes including freeing up the l/f pivot(it was stuck fast preventing brake action on any wheel), replaced the plugs, condenser and set the timing which cured the starting, running and overheating problems, rebuilt the 7 tooth box which was worn out and bent, and replaced the muffler which was blown apart from backfiring.
A few problems remained, I have the notorious engine vibration on decel, the water pump leaks since I replaced the fan blade, and the clutch chatters.
So now that there is heat in the garage and some time off I pulled the engine yesterday. My intentions were to overhaul the water pump, replace the motor mounts and look at the clutch.
Here is what I found:
Front crossmember cracked all over by the u bolts
Motor mount brackets cracked and broken
Clutch disc oil soaked, pressure plate fingers visually out of adjustment
Flywheel ring gear teeth chewed
Frame not sagged (thought it was)
My input shart from a modern F350 trans fits the clutch and pilot bearing as a line up tool. Crazy.
I am composing a list of parts needed to put her back together, IMO Brattens rules.
All suggestions and comments are more than welcome, you guys (and gals) are the best.
RichPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
2manycars

Default Re: Winter project

Looks like you found the source of your vibration. It should be great after you fix those issues.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Sounds like you have things under control. Remeber the beveled end of the flywheel ring gear teeth face the REAR. Turn the radiator upside down to flush out and junk laying on top of the tubes. I found the original water pump design to be the best, most reliable, most leakproof pump there is. I do like to add the rear bushing with a seal at the rear to keep the grease and antifreeze seperated. And, I like to add the locking collar to the front of the pump. Be sure to add grease around the new lead packing rings, and you'll have a long lasting reliable leakproof water pump.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Jim Parker Toronto

Rich, you said, "The battery was hooked up backwards which created all kind of problems." Sorry, don't mean to be sarcastic or rude, just checking, you know these are Positive ground cars, right????
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
John LaVoy

I have been a fan of 1929 Fordors for years. It is the most comfortable car on long tours. If you need original parts Berts in Denver has quite a supply and is great to deal with. Look forward to seeing your 29 along the Model A highway soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sedan on backroad.jpg (89.9 KB, 74 views)
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
RichPA

Jim, no offence taken, it was hooked up neg. When I was a kid in the 60's I was confused because half the cars I worked on were pos, the other neg. I am no longer confused(about that). Seems to be no advantage to either strategy, as long as you connect it the way it was intended it is all good.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
glenn in camino

Welcome to the Barn
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Yes, welcome and you do seem to have every thing in hand. My only advice is to break down the work into smaller sections and complete each one, one at a time. It the old addage about eating an elephant, one bite at a time.

If you stumble on anything post it here and as you know you will receive top notch advice on the maintaing/restoring of the car.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
1930artdeco

Rich, Welcome to the barn. Since she was running that rough for a long time sounds like, check the play in the tranny and rear end. Just don't want you gettig her fixed just to have a tooth break.

Mike
Old 01-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
RichPA

Thanks for the replies. Tom,good advice on the water pump, it may go above freezing next week, if so I'll flush the radiator. The trans,driveline and rear seem to be fine. Ordering parts today and will update with progress, Rich.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
RichPA

Well, she"s ready for a test drive, waiting for the road salt and cinders to go away. Welded the motor mount brackets, assembled the broken pieces of the front crossmember and welded that too. Rebuilt the water pump with the stock style kit. The lock collar on the shaft was the way to go, the head is worn where the shaft rubs. The kit had the bushing with the lip seal. Replaced the flywheel ring gear, knocked it off with a hammer, put the flywheel in the snow bank, heated the ring in the oven to 500 degrees(waited for a day the wife was not home) and tapped it on. Cleaned up the clutch and housings, replaced the rear engine gasket, clutch disc, pilot bearing and adjusted the pressure plate. Installed the motor mounts with new rubber and hardware, lubes the front spring leaves and dropped the car back on the spring. Put the engine in, flushed the radiator, all new hose clamps. Mounted a battery switch ran new cables. Also replaced the crank nut, the ears were worn, now the crank hole lines up too so the crank can be used, you never know.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
Duffy1

John LaVoy ;
29 fordors are the most comfortable for touring ? More so than 31 s/w fordor ?
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
RichPA

I'm 6'2", a little cramped but i"m used to it now, you "learn" how to get in and out. The seat is adjustable.