Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2021, 11:57 PM   #1
CJStefan

Default Attention all fuel systems experts

What's the best electric pump to replace (I'm pulling it completely off) the mechanical on my stock '49 8ba with a single Holley 94? I'm currently looking at a Facet 40163. It's 1.5-2.5 psi, flows 17 gph and requires no regulator. Anybody have any thought on this pump or have another pump they can suggest? Here's a link to it... https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ages/40163.php
CJStefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:23 AM   #2
tomcarman

Default Re: Attention all fuel systems experts

Check out this thread for some good info:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ighlight=e8011
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
cadillac512

The 40163 is a good choice. I have one as a back-up for the mechanical pump on my 260" Merc and it works great. The pressure output is correct for a 94 carb.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #4
CJStefan

So it'll be good for a primary pump? Thanks man I appreciate the response
Old 12-29-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStefan View Post
So it'll be good for a primary pump? Thanks man I appreciate the response
Unless you have converted to 12 volts the pump you reference would NOT be a good choice.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:37 AM   #6
CJStefan

As soon as I have my suspension done I'm doing a full rewire/12v conversion
Old 12-29-2021, 04:16 PM   #7
Brian

Whilst I would not call myself a fuel systems, or any other type of expert...I must ask, what is wrong with using the original mechanical pump? Simple and trouble free in my experience...
Old 12-29-2021, 04:55 PM   #8
CJStefan

This is going to be my daily driver. I've never in my life considered an electric pump on a carved motor before. I've heard and read more stories of vapor locking due to the mechanical fuel pump location on the flathead than on any other motor. Unfortunately I cant always avoid ethanol gas so the last thing I need is to get stranded constantly due to that. I also don't want run 2 fuel pumps.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:18 PM   #9
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
This is going to be my daily driver. I've never in my life considered an electric pump on a carved motor before. I've heard and read more stories of vapor locking due to the mechanical fuel pump location on the flathead than on any other motor. Unfortunately I cant always avoid ethanol gas so the last thing I need is to get stranded constantly due to that. I also don't want run 2 fuel pumps.
You have to install the electric pump close to the fuel tank at the lowest point in the fuel line.
Install it before dis-connecting the mechanical pump.
Install it using an accessible switch, then just use it as a back-up should you ever have vapor lock.
This is the way many on this forum have addressed vapor-lock and cold start issues and with great success (at least in my case)
Old 12-29-2021, 06:25 PM   #10
CJStefan

I know that's how most guys do it. Since mine's going to be in use every day I have a way higher percentage of vapor lock happening than most people that own flatheads do. My thing is, I'd prefer to more or less eliminate the possibility altogether as opposed to hoping for the best that it doesn't happen and then dealing with it when it does. On top of that I need a new fuel pump either way. Instead of buying an electric AND mechanical fuel pump I'd prefer to just buy the electric. Also the wiring harness I'm putting in has a dedicated fuel pump circuit which makes life a ton easier. I'm going with a Mustang tank so the pump will be well below the outlet
Old 12-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #11
Brendan

In 2013 I went to the 50th Anniversary of the Early V8 club , in Lake Tahoe. i have a 36 pickup that is all stock, it still has Mechanical brakes, and the Mechanical fuel pump. we all went on a run to Virginia City, and lunch in Minden Nevada On the way back to Tahoe we went over the Kingsbury Grade I heard someone say, If you don't have a Electric fuel pump, you better not go that way. well I don't have one. I was pulling good up the grade , in 3rd gear, until i got behind a 53 Ford. the guy slowed me down and had to pull the rest of the way in second. I think the more stuff you put on your car, the more trouble you will have with it. my Pickup is a old beater, a old work truck that has survived. It sits alot, but when i go to start it , after it sits for awhile, it dose not take much to start it. I have put about 15thousand miles on it, and only put one fuel pump in it. the one that was in there before was older then me.

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:55 AM   #12
Scotty's 52 F3

I'm in hot AZ and have the stock mechanical pump. I guess I've been lucky not having vapor lock even in 110 degree heat. I do have the fuel evaporating out of the bowl when it sits a few days though.

I put a French Flathead fuel pump on while I sent my original to Charlie for rebuild. It has a priming lever that takes care of the dry bowl.

I keep saying I'm going to put an electric pump near the tank but, I just haven't yet.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:18 PM   #13
scicala

I used to work at the old Zenith carburetor in Detroit in the 70's and early 80's. It was spun off into Facet Enterprises in '75. I was in the engineering lab, and I installed a Facet electric pump on a heavy Dodge truck (V8), and drove it around city streets with no problems.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:58 PM   #14
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

If your pump is rebiult correctly you shouldnt have the vapour lock symtioms .I find its the pumps sucking air or moters low on spark ,I have the leaver on mine but a back up electric at the cost is a small investment . for primming after a long sleep ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:07 PM   #15
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
I used to work at the old Zenith carburetor in Detroit in the 70's and early 80's. It was spun off into Facet Enterprises in '75. I was in the engineering lab, and I installed a Facet electric pump on a heavy Dodge truck (V8), and drove it around city streets with no problems.

Sal
Thats pretty bad ass. So you think they're good for daily use for years without issue?
Old 12-30-2021, 10:09 PM   #16
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
If your pump is rebiult correctly you shouldnt have the vapour lock symtioms .I find its the pumps sucking air or moters low on spark ,I have the leaver on mine but a back up electric at the cost is a small investment . for primming after a long sleep ,
That's one thing I dont get...why do these 94s evaporate gas like that? On all of my Rochester Bs I've had I could leave them for weeks at a time, come back and pump the gas once and the motor would fire right up
Old 12-30-2021, 11:32 PM   #17
fordor41

Only problem I've had with Facet pumps is mine would quit operating. Tap it with something and it would start up.... maybe! Friend of mine said the gas, not gasoline, inside the pump would leak out and the contacts would stick. He worked at Facet.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:48 PM   #18
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
Only problem I've had with Facet pumps is mine would quit operating. Tap it with something and it would start up.... maybe! Friend of mine said the gas, not gasoline, inside the pump would leak out and the contacts would stick. He worked at Facet.
Well shit, that's not good. Have a better pump you can recommend?
Old 12-31-2021, 01:30 PM   #19
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

they have some parts missing parts on the rebiuld kits but they dont leakdown like a holly /Ford carb ,We did have a guy with 49er that had a unvented cap that on stopping pulled fuel back to tank ,at least thats what solved it ,
Quote:
That's one thing I dont get...why do these 94s evaporate gas like that? On all of my Rochester Bs I've had I could leave them for weeks at a time, come back and pump the gas once and the motor would fire right up

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:15 PM   #20
tubman

I'm a pretty good mechanic, but as long as "Charlie ny" is around, I'll send him my stuff, It's a no-brainer,
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote