Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Bubbas World on a Friday???

Late friday afternoon and I am done for the day . My employees might not know it but i am done !!!
Thought you guys might enjoy a post on just overall process we see here almost every day.
These three pics show the process of building 10 more chevrolet to flathead distributors.
The first picture is the bare housings after a days worth of tear down and cleanup work ( Took Terry and Andy 1 and 1/2 days to get to this point on 10 units), next is the picture of the point plates after verifying ground leads and painting to prevent rust.
The last picture is all the small parts from 10 delcos to include the grease seals, springs, distributor cams and drive shafts.

Combined this is 10 units and we will take the housings and shafts to my friend at the machine shop sometime next week.
I will add the assembly pics to this thread when done. To date we have shipped close to 900 of these units!!
I am behind as usual , and seem to stay that way ! Each day more comes in than we ship back and i really do consider that a good thing based on the fact there could be nothing coming in.
Add this to the 10 crab flatheads started this week, throw in a couple Mallorys , three 223 sixes,2 vertex mags , 6 grant flamethrowers and a few dodge units beats me how we ever track anything ???

Just thought you might want to know.
I get daily calls as to the " status" of your distributor and if i can just know where it is ,you are in pretty good shape ..

BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
john mullen

Default Re: Bubbas World on a Friday???

I'm glad you have lots of work, It just goes to show that if you make a good product they will line up at the door. I have had mine for 2 & 1/2 years now without a worry.. Keep up the good work...
john mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

Bubba, the crab you built for this 276 that I just finished runs like champ. Just took it off the test stand and the customer picked it up today. Thanks Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Ol' Ron

Jim, where do you get your light adv springs? We have trouble amd have been making them. his isn't bad for the few we do, but for the volumn you do it must be difficult at best. Thanks
Ron
PS are you going to run Bonneville this year?
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' ron View Post
jim, where do you get your light adv springs? We have trouble amd have been making them. His isn't bad for the few we do, but for the volumn you do it must be difficult at best. Thanks
ron
ps are you going to run bonneville this year?
ron,
i buy new spring kits from ebay and autovalue stores . I think the autovalue stores and advance stores are called spectre brand..
We plan on running ecta at wilmington this year with a new 304 ci engine might need to borrow your intake ...
Old 03-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
keith oh

Hey Bubba, Thats nothing. I would hate to try and show you the equipment it took just two technicians to do 23 test chemestry, 11 test hematology profiles per patient( at least 10 daily) plus all the routine daily patients and had to be done the same day. We all have our crosses to bear.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:28 AM   #7
josh1331

Hello Bubba, mine is on your bench you told me , it should be in mail this week right,lol when do you get time for a break? John
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1331 View Post
Hello Bubba, mine is on your bench you told me , it should be in mail this week right,lol when do you get time for a break? John
Problem is i dont get a break, this getting older isnt what i thought it would be .
Here it is sat morning and i am building some stuff today and will be back tomorrow trying my best to get caught up.
Had " Hot Rod Breakfast" at 7:00, stopped by the house and read the paper and come to the shop.
The good news is that i live very close to the shop ( two blocks) and thats bad news as well as its takes very little to get from home to work.....
Old 03-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Ol' Ron

The problem is these kits don't have light enough springs and the heavy ones must be for jet engines. Yes the Intake is available, however I have to install some back fire valves in it. I don't have a carb set up for it but a 600cfm 4150 with the primary and secondary's tied together should be enough to scare the sh*t out of you. Good luck
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The problem is these kits don't have light enough springs and the heavy ones must be for jet engines. Yes the Intake is available, however I have to install some back fire valves in it. I don't have a carb set up for it but a 600cfm 4150 with the primary and secondary's tied together should be enough to scare the sh*t out of you. Good luck
Ron,

That kit is available from Autozone its a Spectre # 5754 . Throw the weights away they are pretty much junk. Use the stock weights. We use one ,stock GM spring and one of the lighter of the kit on each distributor. Usually works very well with all advance coming in at 2500 rpm.......

Get that intake ready we plan on running this summer a couple more times..
I have a new 600 4150 carb ready to go as well....
Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Problem is i dont get a break, this getting older isnt what i thought it would be .
Here it is sat morning and i am building some stuff today and will be back tomorrow trying my best to get caught up.
Had " Hot Rod Breakfast" at 7:00, stopped by the house and read the paper and come to the shop.
The good news is that i live very close to the shop ( two blocks) and thats bad news as well as its takes very little to get from home to work.....
Hey Jim,
Hm, youse guys need an efficiency manager ! Just from reviewing your schedule above, I'd have to say....stop that breakfast and reading stuff and put an army cot in work area and....you would double you output....before imploding !
Geeze...I'm afraid to ask what the heck ever happened to the 'second' batch of dists for my B engine...so I won't ask,eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Jim,
Hm, youse guys need an efficiency manager ! Just from reviewing your schedule above, I'd have to say....stop that breakfast and reading stuff and put an army cot in work area and....you would double you output....before imploding !
Geeze...I'm afraid to ask what the heck ever happened to the 'second' batch of dists for my B engine...so I won't ask,eh
I have them done and ready to ship. Give me a call monday sometimes...
317-487-9460.
we close 12 to 1 for lunch and shut down at 4:30......
Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
hardtimes

Hey Jim,
You are the man !
There's no wonder that you are busy and a winner....in the present state of affairs with people hurting/loseing, I am happy to know that YOU and your crew are shining examples of the results of strong American hard work ethics !
Will call you...if I can remember to do so !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #14
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Late friday afternoon and I am done for the day . My employees might not know it but i am done !!!
Thought you guys might enjoy a post on just overall process we see here almost every day.
These three pics show the process of building 10 more chevrolet to flathead distributors.
The first picture is the bare housings after a days worth of tear down and cleanup work ( Took Terry and Andy 1 and 1/2 days to get to this point on 10 units), next is the picture of the point plates after verifying ground leads and painting to prevent rust.
The last picture is all the small parts from 10 delcos to include the grease seals, springs, distributor cams and drive shafts.

Combined this is 10 units and we will take the housings and shafts to my friend at the machine shop sometime next week.
I will add the assembly pics to this thread when done. To date we have shipped close to 900 of these units!!
I am behind as usual , and seem to stay that way ! Each day more comes in than we ship back and i really do consider that a good thing based on the fact there could be nothing coming in.
Add this to the 10 crab flatheads started this week, throw in a couple Mallorys , three 223 sixes,2 vertex mags , 6 grant flamethrowers and a few dodge units beats me how we ever track anything ???

Just thought you might want to know.
I get daily calls as to the " status" of your distributor and if i can just know where it is ,you are in pretty good shape ..

You are one busy guy, Jim - by any change is my distributor in this bunch? Hope so as my present unit is about to give up the ghost!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomt/williamsburg View Post
you are one busy guy, jim - by any change is my distributor in this bunch? Hope so as my present unit is about to give up the ghost!
tom, just to be correct you need one another inch higher for belt clearance right ???

Jim