Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
29spcoupe

Default MARC National Meet

I have never been to a national meet. I would like to know how they differ from a tour. I have tried to contact the local club twice and have not heard back from them. Would like to know if there is a tour involved, possible cost involved (other than hotel), etc. Thanks in advance. John
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:34 AM   #2
Arcieri

Default Re: MARC National Meet

Here is a link to the MAFCA National Meet held in Loveland this past Summer.

Follow the links in that site to get a ton of info on the tours, displays,
car judging, etc., etc. that take place at a typical national meet.

MAFCA holds a national meet during even number years and MARC holds their meet every summer.

Ray

http://www.milehighcountry2016.org/
Arcieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
mhsprecher

Check out the old issues of the Model A Times to read some coverage on the meets. There are a lot of activities, including tours. There is fine point judging, seminars, social events, flea market, etc. More fun to take your car, which I didn't do to the only one I have been to. Gettysburg should be great. A good location with lots to see in the area.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

If you do not belong to a national club such as MARC or MAFCA, then it is kind of hard to explain all that happens. As Ray says above...check out MAFCA's site and MARC's site. Both are a great time and yes there are tours with both clubs.

Cost varries per meet depending on the activities that you wish to join in on.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #5
figment

The MARC meet this year will be in Gettysburg , PA . At the MARC Nationals there is much to keep your interest. Tours , Judging ( Both Fine Point and Touring) Swap Meet , Events for kids and more!! Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
Ray in La Mesa

If you decide to attend a national meet, either club. you will have to join that club as the insurance rules state only national club members can partake in the events. if you only want to look & watch events not requiring registration you don't need to join.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
29spcoupe

I am a member of MARC, I joined last year in Hershey. I have never attended a national meet.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
phonconn

Welcome first of all as you are about to enter a whole new world of Model A dom! The national meets differ from the tours in that there is a central location at the host hotel around which everything centers. From a first hand standpoint we are planning a MARC national meet the last week of June of 2018. Usually arrival time is Sunday as the swap meet opens on Sunday early afternoon and if you are looking for unusual parts, "the early bird gets the worm". Also that is the first day to register. Typically day one being a Monday is filled with a few seminars on various different subjects of interest to the Model A restorer and driver. Activities as well as youth events are planned each day of the 5-6 day meet. Tours emanating from the host hotel are usually done on a self guided basis as well as some bus tours to interesting attractions of the host region's area. Monday night is the "Welcome Party" where we have the opportunity to sit down to a nice meal with friends and fellow club members from all over the world. Tuesday is filled with activities and seminars. Wednesday is judging day for fine point cars, touring class cars and the fashion show followed that evening by the "Ice Cream Social" and fashion show awards and viewing of cars. Thursday is Mandatory tour day with a trip to a special attraction of place. Friday a day of seminars and in the evening the "Awards Banquet" where we award the highest point cars as well as the Touring Class awards and in our meet we hope to include the Fashion awards in the same banquet. The swap meet is a daily event opening usually first thing in the morning and closing in time for a shower and dinner. The swap meet at a MARC meet is well attended and give all goers a chance to view parts and ask questions about everything imaginable about the Model A and the how to's of the restoration process. Doc Kalina stated that the swap meet was home to over a thousand mini seminars in its 6 day long venue. All in all a National Meet is a hub of activity for all and a place to enjoy fellow enthusiasts and meet new people as well as learn more about your car and its function. We hope our MARC meet in Branson is well attended and plan on it's focus to the youth as the high point as we encourage all members to bring along the kids or grandkids.
Hope you can make it as Branson has lots to offer anybody and is centrally located in the USA. Once you make your first National Meet I guarantee it won't be your last.
Dan Bixby Branson MARC Meet June 2018
phonconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #9
phonconn

Just a PS to my notes above. Gettysburg is this summer of 2017 is should be one of the most historically exciting meets to be involved in so try to make that a trip to make.
phonconn is offline   Reply With Quote