Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2021, 09:33 AM   #21
katy

Default Re: Why so many upgrades??

Quote:
my camper which weighs about one US ton at 50 mph.
How much does it weigh at other speeds?
Old 06-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #22
WHN

I know a guy that has had three different wives over his life so far. He is always trying to get a better one. He’s all alone today, but will tell you he should have stayed with his first wife.

Up grading isn’t always an improvement.

Am I making any sense here?

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #23
Jack Shaft
BANNED

It's your car,do as you wish with it.I modified mine,and I like how it is. To me,it doesn't matter what you do,just finish the car..the real crime is tearing the car apart and losing interest.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
"Upgrade" is the most ill-used, misused, and incorrect term in the old car hobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Haha. So true, Pete.

To each his own, but I just don't understand the close mindset. Why not just let people do what they want to do with their own cars?

Why in the world would another car person not help another car person if they added such minor mods as an alternator, LED lights, etc.

If that happened in a club I belonged to, I'd be looking for another one to join.

It's this fixed, closed mind set is what drives young folks away from the hobby.

Jeez, fellas. Lighten up.

In a nutshell Tim, we/me don't really care what mods they do with their cars, ...however it is called 'Deceit' when they make claims about it being restored or original that are not factual. The younger generation hobbyist typically does not share the same values in that regard as the older generation hobbyist does, -but that is a topic for discussion elsewhere.

Both clubs used to have mission statements that made a general statement that the club ...was about the Preservation and Restoration of the 1928-1931 Ford Model-A as originally manufactured. Many Model-A car club participants today have Model-As that fit more within the mission statement and guidelines of NSRA, -and are definitely not a 'Restored' vehicle as originally manufactured. So why can't those people just admit their car really is not Restored like they claim? Pete's comment above is spot-on.

As for me personally, I have no trouble helping someone with their Model-A, ...no matter how many modifications their vehicle has. Where I tend to struggle is someone who makes a claim about how a modification is necessary when the facts do not support their statement.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #25
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
I enjoy experimenting with "period-correct" upgrades and accessories for two reasons. First, most of the actual history of the Model A is the history of everything people did with the cars after they left the factory – and that includes modifying them to suit individual purposes. I like learning about which functions people wanted to improve and the often ingenious engineering they used to improve them. That leads to my second reason, which is that doing upgrade projects is an excellent way to learn-by-doing the basics of internal combustion engineering and physics.

So my modifications have been a combination of solving specific problems (mostly safety) and tinkering for the purpose of my own education.
I agree, alexiskai. Plus a little "personalization" to make it mine. The only "in your face" modern addition to my Town Sedan is the Mitchell O/D.

I hate to look of "modern" turn signals, alternators, carburetors, wheels, etc. on my Model A.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 06-01-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #26
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
"Upgrade" is the most ill-used, misused, and incorrect term in the old car hobby.
I agree with Ray on this.

"Upgrades' to me usually meant that someone was trying to use a band-aid to fix a problem. When I see a Model A Ford for sale with all of the 'upgrades' I wonder 'How badly was that car restored to begin with? What are they trying to hide? And sometimes, not always, why is it for sale?
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:42 AM   #27
jayvee34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I agree with Ray on this.

"Upgrades' to me usually meant that someone was trying to use a band-aid to fix a problem. When I see a Model A Ford for sale with all of the 'upgrades' I wonder 'How badly was that car restored to begin with? What are they trying to hide? And sometimes, not always, why is it for sale?
Some of what you are saying is absolutely true. MO: If you add something,
(upgrade as it is called) that is your right and choice, and not necessarily
trying to hide something but to improve the drivability of the car, (all cars drive
differently). Why is it for sale, is not always trying to pass on the problems of
the car, But need to sale (health, need money, cant afford to operate it etc).
I have been a hot rodder since 1949, but have owned "original" Fords of different years and own a 1930 Murray town car. "Not for sale" Just enjoying
the slow and laid back driving to the end of the "road". Will add or (upgrade)
if I feel it is needed for my safety.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #28
ryanheacox

I have done 4 "upgrades" to my car.

I bought a 5.5 head a few years back out of necessity, found my original was cracked and had a tour 3 days later. It definitely does give me more power on hills but I never had a complaint about the stock head.

I also just tried out a set of FAMs. Again, not a huge difference in the seat of my pants so I think I'll go back to stock eventually.

I started driving more at night over the last couple years and realized the need for turn signals so I installed them and I think that is a pretty big safety upgrade. I still use hand signals out of habit but for night driving I'd say they are a must.

Lastly and perhaps the best upgrade I have done is to install one of Tom W's EVRs in my generator. No more fussing with the 3rd brush or dealing with weak lights at night. Works great and highly recommended. But, for years, with some attention the stock generator did just fine.

I guess what I'm getting at is the stock A is still a great car and perfectly capable even 90 years later. The diff in my car needs some attention but that will get a stock rebuild and after that I wouldn't have any worry about jumping in and going on a long tour.

Yes, technically my car is modified but I find myself under the hood a lot less than the guys with a lot more "upgrades"
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #29
Richard in Anaheim CA

I have lot of respect for those high point show cars. They pay unbelievable amounts of $ for truly original parts and even more to restore original parts to meet ever tighter rules set by judges who weren't even born until a half century after the last Model A rolled off the line. I made a feeble attempt to have my car judged 60 years ago. My scores would would question if my car was even a Model A. I like my car to appear stock to the "Man on the street" but moved on from that and regularly drive them 10,000 miles a year or so.

The technology was a compromise even at the time Model A's were being designed and built. A bone stock Model A will go anywhere mine go but mine go with less vibration, less noise, less shifting and the list goes on.

In 1932 Henry and Edsel built the Model B. It was a Model A engine with bigger bearings, bigger carburetor, different cam grind, partial oil pressure, centrifugal advance distributor, higher compression, synchronized transmission, fuel pump and later in the year a counterbalanced crank shaft The result, 50 horse power, a whopping 25% more than the stock A. The companion V8 quickly utilized insert bearings, oil pressure, down draft carburetor. In I939 hydraulic brakes made their appearance.

Yes, Henry and Edsel modified the Model A. and would continues to do sotoday.

Invite me over to admire your fine point winner in your garage. Tow it to the national conventions but it is unlikely anyone but the judges will get to see it up close.
That's OK. Just go out to the parking lot and look at the rest of the cars parked with mine.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:04 PM   #30
Russ B

Restoration of a Model A can be incredibly difficult because even Henry was constantly making modifications to the cars. I respect the effort, but would never try a proper restoration myself. …and except for a few judges knowing every modification made during the production run, no one else will know. …and certainly 99.9% of all people who see an old car on the road will never know if a car is different from the original one coming off the assembly line on a particular date.

That said, it is in my genes and my engineering training to always be considering modifications to any car I own. Modifications can be for performance, aesthetics, or simply to try a newer technology. Some modifications make it easier to maintain the car, some make it harder to maintain, repair, or restore the car. For most of us owning an old car is for our own pleasure and is unique for each person, thus we all do different things to enjoy our own cars, and it is all OK.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #31
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Damn Russ, you almost make it sound eloquent to be a filthy hotrodder, incapable of honoring Mr. Fords vision..btw, his vision was to sell units of production for cash, what you did with it was not his concern....Fact is a car fresh off the Assembly line would fail most judging..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #32
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Amen!!

The secondary part of why most people upgrade is not really 'safety', but it makes the hobbyist feel better justifying it to themselves and others.

The 3rd term that is so mis-used is the word "Touring". I have been around the Model-A hobby for all 60 years of my life, and around MARC/MAFCA for 55 years. Most hobbyists do not realize that 30-40 years ago, hobbyists still reliably toured in their Model-As driving many miles all over this country without Overdrives, Alternators, electronic ignitions, downdraft Carburetors, F100 steering gearboxes, etc. The speed limits in those days rivals what we find today. Some might argue that traffic is different today, -and even that is not necessarily true. People only believe what seems believable to them, and most people believe it takes upgrades to be able to 'tour' with their car, ...and most will agree that you will never convince them any differently even with proof.
Amen ! Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #33
Slowmotoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Haha. So true, Pete.

To each his own, but I just don't understand the close mindset. Why not just let people do what they want to do with their own cars?

Why in the world would another car person not help another car person if they added such minor mods as an alternator, LED lights, etc.

If that happened in a club I belonged to, I'd be looking for another one to join.

It's this fixed, closed mind set is what drives young folks away from the hobby.

Jeez, fellas. Lighten up.

I cant agree more! Reminds me of the harley guys that cant wave to someone not riding a harley....
Old 06-01-2021, 09:58 PM   #34
denis4x4

In about three weeks, 100 or so Model A’s and T’s will gather in Lincoln NB for the Speedster Reunion. While we’re there, we’ll tour the Museum of American Speed and look at the greatest collection of period correct speed equipment for T’s and A’s ever assembled. The Stromberg-Bendix down draft manifold here was available from Ford dealers in 1931 and the CRAGAR OHV head was available in 1935. Those headers could have been made last week or in 1930. Henry used racing and exhibitions of speed to promote his business. Can’t ever remember posting here or elsewhere how you should treat YOUR A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E2EAE781-FF41-4276-AA12-887F2BBB77B4.jpg (53.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:42 PM   #35
Y-Blockhead

I consider any additions over the lifespan of my Town Sedan by previous custodians that maintained her before me as part of the history of the car, so they stay.

I wish I knew more of the history, like when the spotlight was added, but it is pretty obvious it has been there for awhile.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:19 PM   #36
Bill G

Quote:
Agreed. One man's "upgrades" are another man's junk. I would prefer the term "modifications", but you will never see any group of Model A enthusiasts agree on which ones, if any should be used.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:57 AM   #37
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
, we’ll tour the Museum of American Speed and look at the greatest collection of period correct speed equipment for T’s and A’s ever assembled.

Wow, what a place! https://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/modelab.html
Bruce of MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:25 AM   #38
redmodelt

"The companion V8 quickly utilized insert bearing" The B had poured mains and rods, the early V8 still had poured mains with insert rods.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:11 PM   #39
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Anaheim CA View Post
I have lot of respect for those high point show cars. They pay unbelievable amounts of $ for truly original parts and even more to restore original parts to meet ever tighter rules set by judges who weren't even born until a half century after the last Model A rolled off the line. I made a feeble attempt to have my car judged 60 years ago. My scores would would question if my car was even a Model A. I like my car to appear stock to the "Man on the street" but moved on from that and regularly drive them 10,000 miles a year or so.

The technology was a compromise even at the time Model A's were being designed and built. A bone stock Model A will go anywhere mine go but mine go with less vibration, less noise, less shifting and the list goes on.

In 1932 Henry and Edsel built the Model B. It was a Model A engine with bigger bearings, bigger carburetor, different cam grind, partial oil pressure, centrifugal advance distributor, higher compression, synchronized transmission, fuel pump and later in the year a counterbalanced crank shaft The result, 50 horse power, a whopping 25% more than the stock A. The companion V8 quickly utilized insert bearings, oil pressure, down draft carburetor. In I939 hydraulic brakes made their appearance.

Yes, Henry and Edsel modified the Model A. and would continues to do sotoday.

Invite me over to admire your fine point winner in your garage. Tow it to the national conventions but it is unlikely anyone but the judges will get to see it up close.
That's OK. Just go out to the parking lot and look at the rest of the cars parked with mine.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard -I certainly don't have a fine point car . Firstly here i am so far away from the home of the Model A I would struggle to assemble all the correct parts . However my car is pretty much as it came from the factory . All the replaced parts on it may not be original to the car but are original to a Model A. I drive my car lots and it performs well. For me a large part of its charm is the fact that 91 years after produciton it still functions as intended and as designed .

There is no doubt that over time cars have improved and changed however for me if I want modern performance I woudn't modify the charm of an original Model A to achieve it -I'd buy a modern car

However as mentioned firmly held opinions on ths possibly drives young people away from our great hobby

Last edited by Karl; 06-07-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:08 PM   #40
daren007

If you are in a hurry you are driving the wrong car. Your money is better spent at the Dairy Queen.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote