Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Shadetree

Default We Must Have Been Tougher Back Then!

Today my wife and I drove the `35 Cabriolet for over 120 miles. We drove from Cottageville, WV to Nitro, WV and over into Saint Albans. We drove I-77 for a ways and didn't like all of the traffic so we got off and drove a little two lane road that ran parallel to the Interstate.

What a difference! It was like going back to the 50’s. There was very little traffic.

A cool, shaded road makes a world of difference in this car and very enjoyable.

Coming back this afternoon was a different story. The shade was gone and it was hot! Matter of fact it was 93° when we arrived home. Coming through the little towns we roasted in the cabin of this little car. Very uncomfortable! But not once did the engine temp get above the high normal mark on the heat gauge. I used the electric radiator fan while stopped in traffic to maintain the temp level and it works.

I swear I don't recall these cars being this hot. We must have been tougher back then. We enjoyed the trip but it was sure good to get in an air conditioned home...
Old 09-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: We Must Have Been Tougher Back Then!

That sure is pretty country! The road looks good, too. But I'll bet that it was gravel in 1950
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
cmbrucew

Shadetree
Very nice pictures. If it was that warm I would have taken off my necktie. Pic #3.
I was in Buchanan, WV in August 1977 on a Harley. Beautiful country.

Bruce

Works good
Last long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Don

I know what you mean by the heat Shadetree,my Roadster is the same way.as soon as the sun goes down much cooler driving.First Friday in Ashland tonight,big crowd of cars.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Shadetree

[QUOTE=cmbrucew;494801]Shadetree
Very nice pictures. If it was that warm I would have taken off my necktie. Pic #3.
I was in Buchanan, WV in August 1977 on a Harley. Beautiful country.

Bruce

Bruce,
Me in a necktie? I couldn't imagine why you wrote that until I looked at the reflection in the last pic. That must be a reflection of my wife's purse on the floor.

My son is in Michigan right now with his motorcycle buddies. Says it is beautiful there.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I know what you mean by the heat Shadetree,my Roadster is the same way.as soon as the sun goes down much cooler driving.First Friday in Ashland tonight,big crowd of cars.
Don,
I am going to make this a project next winter. I have been told the heat is coming from the dual exhaust. That with the sun beating down on me is almost unbearable. They have some good insulation on the market that may help under the floor mat.

The `51 F1 is almost ready to fire up. The gas tank was full of rust and had been previously sealed. I have a new tank coming next week.

Bud
Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
jim1932

When you spend all summer in a house that is 80 degrees.... a 90 degree car don't seem so hot. All this AC set on 70 has spoilt us.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
41ford1

Try Frost King duct insulation. It comes in a 1' x 15' roll. 1/8" foil backed self adhesive material with an R3 factor. I used 1 roll in the cab of the pickup. It made a big difference in heat and sound reduction. The best thing is it only $18.50 per roll @ HD. PN: FV516
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
JJOHN

Was out for a summer drive in 86 degree heat, windshield open and cowl vent open and the car running great. Stopped for some ice cream and as usual some of the people at the ice cream stand came over and gave the car the once over. One couple seemed quite interested in the car and seemed to be having a heated discussion about him wanting to get one and her saying over my dead body. I went back to the car and the wife asked me if my wife liked the car and being the type of guy I am, I told her I take the car every weekend to the cemetary so she could see it. With that I drove away with a s--t eating grin on my face. By the way my wife is alive and loves the 35.
JJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
Today my wife and I drove the `35 Cabriolet for over 120 miles. We drove from Cottageville, WV to Nitro, WV and over into Saint Albans. We drove I-77 for a ways and didn't like all of the traffic so we got off and drove a little two lane road that ran parallel to the Interstate.

What a difference! It was like going back to the 50’s. There was very little traffic.

A cool, shaded road makes a world of difference in this car and very enjoyable.

Coming back this afternoon was a different story. The shade was gone and it was hot! Matter of fact it was 93° when we arrived home. Coming through the little towns we roasted in the cabin of this little car. Very uncomfortable! But not once did the engine temp get above the high normal mark on the heat gauge. I used the electric radiator fan while stopped in traffic to maintain the temp level and it works.

I swear I don't recall these cars being this hot. We must have been tougher back then. We enjoyed the trip but it was sure good to get in an air conditioned home...
SHADETREE ................
Damn ! You're are making me homesick !
I rode that route, many times, to Charleston, on my bike. It's like one of the best kept secrets in that part of the state, although, it used to be the main N/S route, before the interstate.
Nice photos !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
expavr

Not tougher-just younger. In 1964 my wife and I drove from SoCal to N Carolina in mid August in a non air conditioned Bel Air and even managed to survive a few nights in a non air conditioned motel....
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #12
danliveshere

I drove my roadster about 70000 miles in my twenties....about 69500 miles with the top down, the hotter the hotter the better. Now adays I try to keep out of the sun...I've gone soft.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #13
31chevy

I have 3 old cars & whenever I take someone for a ride I tell them that these rides will make them appreciate the modern vehicles we have today.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
Shadetree

Lots of times an old timer will walk up and say `They don't make them like this any more.' My response is `Thank Goodness.' We are driving the best cars ever made today. It is a fun hobby and being able to meet people that still remember these old Fords.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Bruce in southern OH

Shadetree, we give a WW2 veteran a ride every year down here in Huntington for the Veterans Day Parade, last year it was the 35 Tudor, year before the 31 Vicky. He is 92 and you would think he was much younger, he always has a story about these old cars and the giant leap that took place between the early 30 cars and late 30 cars as far as power.
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Shadetree

Bruce,
Your friend is correct. Just look at the vast improvement from 1930-1939 made in cars in not only power and reliability, but in creature comfort.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
mrmoose

Shade, you are just as tough as you need to be. Oftentimes I wish we had country roads with hills down here in Florida. Nearest hill is in Brooksville, about 50 miles north of here....and unless you have lots of time, only way there is interstate. My old trucks do not care for the interstate. Glad to see you enjoying yourselves and terrific pics thank you.
mrmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
34pickup

We were used to it back then. I never had air conditioning until I was in my 30s. I don't like it in a car most of the time but I have found out as I get older and my skin gets thinner I can't take the heat or the cold like I used to, so on a long trip in a modern car sometimes it comes on, but mostly roll down the windows for a breeze.
People were tougher back then though. We are soft now with all of these conveniences that are unnecessary but I sure would hate to give up.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
PeteVS

One thing cars had then was good VENTILATION. I noticed that your cowl vent was open. It's nice to have a good supply of air in the cabin. My little Ranger pickup had the air conditioning go south and I'd much rather drive the old coupe with the vents and the vent windows wide open on a hot day.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
cmbrucew

I had air in my green f1 and took it out.
The small cab was too cold.
At my age I would rather be warm than cold.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote