Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
kursed30

Default Thought I had it!

So after some weeks of fixing and replacing things I thought we were all good. I even drove it to my first car show. (which was only a few miles away) Yesterday I took it up to fill her up. On the way home the car was spitting and sputtering and a few pops all the way home. I was starting to wonder if it was going to make it back. On top of that, my clothes just smell like exhaust. The handle to the hood was so hot I had to use a rag to open it. I was only gone 20 min or so.

I have replaced the tank filter, new on/off fuel filter, new sediment bowl w/filter, all new gaskets on the Tillison carb, new choke rod and new manifold gaskets. Now I will admit, the manifold gaskets just didnt seem like they fit good. At the time, the only ones they had in stock had were the copper ones with "built in" gland rings. They did not fit into the whole at all. Would a bad seal there cause those issues? I also noticed the carb was leaking gas with the car off and the gas valve open.
kursed30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
jg61hawk

Default Re: Thought I had it!

My thought is fuel if it's a problem is generally a problem all the time. It's unlikely to come on after driving for a distance (unless vapor lock). I would suspect an electric problem... try the following...

Intermittent no spark can be one big symptom especially after warming up. Another member posted here to mount one spare condenser on the firewall and use a jumper wire to the passenger side of the coil as soon as you stall to bypass your condenser. Easy check if the condenser is bad.
Put the following in search: Jackson III 2nd Condenser
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #3
TerryO

I just replaced the pop out switch and it looks like it cured both a parasitic battery drain and a poor running engine.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
old31

Kursed, where was the gav on the way home, how many turns.

Do you have a part number of the copper manifold gasket?

Start the car and spray some wd40 around the manifolds, and if the rpms increase you have a leak. Better than wd use propane (unlit) around the manifolds, it doesn't make a mess.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #5
nkaminar

Some engines and manifolds do not have the counterbores that the exhaust rings fit into. You should be able to hear an exhaust leak. Partially block the exhaust pipe with a potato to better hear and see the exhaust leaks. Exhaust leaks can be dangerous to your health so look at that first. Lots of exhaust getting into the intake can make the car run bad. You should be able to see black soot at any exhaust leaks.

If the carburetor is leaking lots of gasoline then that could be your issue. Hate to suggest this but you may want to take the carburetor apart again and check for a non-leaking float valve. You should be able to turn the carburetor up side down and not be able to blow or suck anything from the gasoline inlet. Gasoline is toxic so make sure the passage are clean before doing any sucking. It could be that the valve needs tightening or that there is flaw where it screws into the carburetor body that will make the gasket not seat correctly.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #6
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...Many old original exhaust manafolds have drooped at the rear end due to the heat of the engine and the weight of the exhaust system...if yours has drooped, then the gasket with the gland rings built in might well not fit and cause a leak...which could cause the engine to run lean and want to quit! Also, you could have a coil and condenser that have seen better days...they are not expensive and replacing them simply comes undr the heading of eliminating a problem before it bights you in the behind! Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
kursed30

Old31 - I have not adjusted the GAV since I had it running good. I don't remember how many turns..sorry. The copper ones I bought were from MACS
https://www.macsautoparts.com/model-...8-24826-1.html

I have since ordered a new pair and will install them tonight. I will also start with the condenser. Those are the fastest and cheapest to start with.

To add a bit to my first post. When giving it gas you can her a sucking sound. If I put two fingers over the back of the carb it doesnt do it.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #8
jg61hawk

Be VERY sure the choke rod is PROPERLY connected and it's not chocking itself while driving.....please examine this carefully.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #9
kursed30

JG - funny you mention that. I usually leave it open about a quarter turn. When I took it to the car show I noticed that as i drove it would open up more and more. I finally just started driving with it closed down.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #10
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

The above comments are all good. Also make sure you have the spark lever about half way down after you start the car. I’ve forgotten to do that myself.

The previous owner of my car told me his mechanic told him to leave the GAV open about a quarter turn and it has always worked for me. You might want to close the GAV then open it a quarter to half a turn and experiment with it after it’s run for a while.

Good luck,

David Serrano
California Travieso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:16 PM   #11
1crosscut

Those gaskets should work fine. Put a straight edge on the face of the exhaust / intake manifolds to see if they are flat. I loosen the two bolts holding the intake manifold to the exhaust manifold and then tighten the 4 nuts holding them on. After that I tighten up the two bolts holding the intake to the exhaust. Helps get things lined up.

Not sure by your description if you have added an additional in line fuel filter or not. If you have added one they are often cause a problem like you are experiencing.

The sputtering and popping is also a common sign of a gas cap not venting. Try driving with the cap loose.

Your GAV should not be totally closed while you are driving at speed. If it keeps moving on you when driving put a rubber grommet or something in where it passes through the firewall to keep it from moving on it's own.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #12
imacrazy

Check the points, most likely to close.

Bill
imacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote