Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
31steve

Default Voltage regulator problem solved,Thanks

A while back I converted my 34 coupe to 12 volt negative ground. Had generator rebuilt with 12 volt field coils and had to buy a new 12 v voltage regulator. It would not keep the battery charged and the amp gauge always showed a discharge. I checked the generator by connecting the field and armature together and it would charge great. So I got another voltage regulator. Same story! Took it back to the generator shop and they "adjusted the regulator" . Now after a few days of discharge it would peg the amp gauge + . Thinking that the amp gauge was off I added a voltmeter. Same story, it would go for days discharging only to start overcharging at will. Then it quit charging at all and the battery died. I charged the battery and checked again but even though the generator had the capacity to charge, the voltage regulator didn't work. So I did a search here for generator/ regulator issues and someone said that if you are using the new blue voltage regulators that all the parts houses sell, you are wasting your time, they are all junk. They recommended trying to find an original ford voltage regulator, so yesterday I spent time under the hoods of old 12 volt ford cars in the junkyard until I found a decent looking regulator. I bought it for twenty bucks , took it home and cleaned the points and installed it. Works great! Thanks to all for the help!
31steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Voltage regulator problem solved,Thanks

Thanks for posting the feedback!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
40larry

I have also recently had a new blue Standard VR35 voltage regulator fail and smoke my new generator. Hopefully the second one will continue to work properly.
40larry
40larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #4
Tinker

If you can find a 56 regulator original, it will work well. Most times in converting to 12v all you have to research is later fords. I've didn't have problems with a 57 regulator bought new with restoring a 57. knock on wood.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
terry

Steve, is your rebuilt generator the original 3 brush? If so, what 12v coils did you put in it? Been thinking of going the same way rather than switch to an alternator. Read on here somewhere that a 60 Falcon coils will work.
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
Red98

My new blue regulator works fine on 6v. Perhaps it's because I painted it black!
Red98 is offline   Reply With Quote