Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Squally

Default Fuel Sediment Bulb 1930

I had to replace the inside fuel line on my 1930 Roadster. It has the glass fuel sediment bulb. I had a heck of a time getting it to not leak at the connection from the inside fuel line to the sediment bulb assembly and ultimately I think what was causing the problem was that the new fuel line was just a tiny bit longer. Long enough so that it didn't sit straight on the nozzle. I ruined two of the assemblies trying to get it on because I couldn't get it straight. I ended up bending the fuel line in towards the center and then back a bit to get it straight.

Compounding the frustration was that I always needed a helper to come out and hold the assembly in the proper position on the other side of the firewall while I was inside.

That leads me to one question and one observation.

1. Is there supposed to be a gasket between the fuel sediment assembly and the firewall? The one I took off had a foam/rubber gasket that was pretty deteriorated. I couldn't find anything listing a gasket, so I made one out of craft foam, since it seemed to be similar in texture and easy to cut into shape.

2. Where the assembly sits against the wall there is an indentation just below the nozzle that seems like it was designed to sit on top of an indent that would keep it from rotating when being tightened from the other side, yet there is nothing on the firewall and I can't find any pictures of firewalls with an extra hold below the fuel line. I considered drilling one myself and temporarily placing a bolt in there while I tightened it to keep it from moving. Does anyone have any other strategies to keep it from rotating or know why that hole is there? It seems purposefully designed due to the shape.
Squally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Fuel Sediment Bulb 1930

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Where the assembly sits against the wall there is an indentation just below the nozzle that seems like it was designed to sit on top of an indent that would keep it from rotating when being tightened from the other side, yet there is nothing on the firewall and I can't find any pictures of firewalls with an extra hold below the fuel line. I considered drilling one myself and temporarily placing a bolt in there while I tightened it to keep it from moving. Does anyone have any other strategies to keep it from rotating or know why that hole is there? It seems purposefully designed due to the shape.
The cast iron version (and perhaps some of the glass sediment bulb assemblies) have a teardrop shaped "seat" where the device meets the firewall. The 28-29 wall is kind of "intented" to match this teardrop shape and present a flat mounting point for the filter.

The lowermost extension of the cast version teardrop has a "bump" which matches the hole in the firewall and prevents the filter assembly from turning while tightening the nut on the inside of the firewall.

I've had both the glass and a cast iron filter assembly - I don't remember a difference with the aluminum/pot metal mount of the glass filter.

Joe K