Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
Tony Hillyard

Default Cut out diode conversation

Afternoon Everyone,

Has anyone any experience of the cut out to diode conversation on a Powerhouse generator. Does it work? My original cut on my 1928 Roadster has died. I have in my box of odd things a diode and fitting instructions.

Any suggestions, things to watch out for?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Tony Hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Dave in MD

Default Re: Cut out diode conversation

Tony,
I have a cutout with diode on my five brush powerhouse generator. I also have one of Tom Wessenberg's voltage regulators (EVR). This system has worked very well for me. Tom modified the EVR to work with the diode in the cutout.
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Tony,

Just two (2) actual past experiences:

1. If looking to change out only your cut out system, I bought one of these authentic looking voltage regulators from "Fun Projects", (found on line), about 10 years ago which works great ..... my 6 Volt positive ground battery is now about 10 years old and in great condition. Works on Model T's & Model A's. No need to adjust charging rates for day driving vs. lots of night driving like that prescribed for original cut outs. Will not overcharge, overheat, and boil water out of batteries.

http://www.funprojects.com/products/10505r.aspx

2. Also, we found this below to be the best and longest lasting battery charger/extender. Approximately $35.00 with at Amazon.com & Home Depot. It has modern microprocessor technology to rejuvenate and clean battery plates prior to each re-charging. Works great for also charging large 12 V Marine Batteries. Also use it to maintain my other non-marine 12 Volt batteries, (+) or (-) ground.

"Schumacher" SP-1 2/4-Amp 6/12-Volt Automatic Battery Charger/Extender
4.1 out of 5 stars 52 ....... $34.89 Prime.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 03-10-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
Tom Endy

A cutout with a diode as well as an alternator installation, which also has diodes in the circuit, will have a very slight reverse current draw when the car is parked. For this reason it is always prudent to pull the fuse out on top the starter, if you have one installed, when parking the car for a pro-longed period. I pull my fuse when parking the car overnight. The slight current drain will discharge your battery over several months if left connected with the car parked.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Mr. Endy,

Good point. I have a vintage tractor with a 12V alternator where I had to install a battery cut off switch to prevent weekly dead batteries prior to cutting grass.

The scrooge jerk brain modernist with an I.Q. of (7) at the most, even cut the vintage tractor's top vintage sheet metal and welded it "upwards" so his modern 12V none- working alternator would fit.

He even chose the wrong kind of 12V alternator which never worked because of the tractor engine's very low RPM's. May put this 12V alternator on Ebay to be advertised as a boat anchor.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
A cutout with a diode as well as an alternator installation, which also has diodes in the circuit, will have a very slight reverse current draw when the car is parked. For this reason it is always prudent to pull the fuse out on top the starter, if you have one installed, when parking the car for a pro-longed period. I pull my fuse when parking the car overnight. The slight current drain will discharge your battery over several months if left connected with the car parked.

Tom Endy
I put in a used 60s delco alternator diode some 40 years ago, 6-8 months of sitting and I expect the car to start ,never batt dead from sitting, the draw must be very low
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

FWIW.. When the diode conversion first came out, an HEP-151 was recommended.

No clue as to what's being used today..
Old 03-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post

Tom Endy
Sorry I have some troubles with this.

A diode in reverse voltage condition flows current in the NanoAmp range (ten to the minus ninth) until it hits reverse breakdown voltage (50, 100 volts? depends on the diode). Anyway it is very very tiny and would take a real long time to bring the battery down.

As for the alternators. Well that depends. I have brought this point up in the past and got an answer. The answer, well that all depends on the regulator in the alternator. Some will leak current and drain the battery. More reason not to bother with an alternator.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Have no idea how many Nano's in my vintage tractor's alternator regulator; however, I do Nano my battery dies in a week with no cut out switch !!!!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 03:25 AM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
FWIW.. When the diode conversion first came out, an HEP-151 was recommended.

No clue as to what's being used today..
The kits now use alternator diodes TRS-8734 for Pos ground or 9725 for neg ground.