Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
wisbangman

Default wanted items

Hi guys...I'm fairly new on the ford barn, and would like some feed back on how things work. On January 21 st. I posted a wanted ad ' wanted 1939 ford radio complete.' A member, answered my post, that he had one for sale for $150 plus shipping. I responded to the post , asking that he respond to my e-mail address, or phone number . After not hearing anything, I sent him a PM -still nothing. I never did hear back. I have seen, in other wanted ads ' please don't post on this wanted ad - send me a PM. ' Is that because other barners are maybe responding to the guy answering the wanted ad, and buying the item ?
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: wanted items

I would hope that if someone contacts you that they had one for sale, that they would indeed follow up and respond to your PM. I always do.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
paul2748

The PM should be used to ask questions about the item, negotiations and terms. These items should not be discussed via the Forum. It can also be used to give out telephone numbers that either the seller or the prospective buyer does not want to be public .

If the item is sold or sales pending the seller should post that, which is common courtesy.

If you did not receive an answer, the seller is either very rude, on vacation or maybe ill.

Could also be a scam artist - these guys answer ads for people looking for things.

If he really has something to sell I'm sure he would have contacted you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbangman View Post
Hi guys...I'm fairly new on the ford barn, and would like some feed back on how things work. On January 21 st. I posted a wanted ad ' wanted 1939 ford radio complete.' A member, answered my post, that he had one for sale for $150 plus shipping. I responded to the post , asking that he respond to my e-mail address, or phone number . After not hearing anything, I sent him a PM -still nothing. I never did hear back. I have seen, in other wanted ads ' please don't post on this wanted ad - send me a PM. ' Is that because other barners are maybe responding to the guy answering the wanted ad, and buying the item ?
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
RPM

Personally, I don't want a response on my ad because I will probably never see it. If the response is by personal message, there will be a flashing notification when I sign on that I have a message, at which point I pull it up and respond promptly.
I never go back days or weeks and search for my posts, but on occasion have seen a couple of old ones with messages or questions from barners. Unfortunately, by then, weeks or months have gone by and I had no idea these questions or messages even existed.
Just my opinion--RPM
RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
jim1932

Based on what I can see..... Seem you did everything right unless you were somehow offending in the PM. I would have directly PM'd him rather than respond in the post as most people responding to a want to buy add won't circle back to the post to see if you responded, they would expect a PM or email. I would ask again directly if there was some issue. Could be he realized he didn't have that year radio after all.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Shadetree

I would be suspicious of a working complete radio for a `39 Ford for $150.

Shadetree
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
Personally, I don't want a response on my ad because I will probably never see it. If the response is by personal message, there will be a flashing notification when I sign on that I have a message, at which point I pull it up and respond promptly.
I never go back days or weeks and search for my posts, but on occasion have seen a couple of old ones with messages or questions from barners. Unfortunately, by then, weeks or months have gone by and I had no idea these questions or messages even existed.
Just my opinion--RPM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

RPM, when you post an ad, go up to the top, and click on "thread tools", and when the menu drops down, you can subscribe to the ad, and also get an email from the FordBarn stating that someone has replied to your ad, then you don't have to keep checking it for replies, the site lets you know.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
41 Fords ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
I would be suspicious of a working complete radio for a `39 Ford for $150.

Shade Tree
I've bought quite a few things off the Swap Meet and all the barners I've dealt with were very fair on price and all have been through PMs. or emails. You don't want to give out personnal info on a thread. Also I agree with Shadetree. $150 for a complete working radio for a 39 is really cheap. Something wrong with this picture?

Last edited by 41 Fords ohio; 02-10-2012 at 04:07 AM.
41 Fords ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Marv

Angry Re: wanted items

This may be the same fellow i replied to about the $150 39 radio. He said i was the first to reply and it was mine. I sent him the moneyorder for the $150 plus shipping. It never came and when i got in touch with him he said he returned my moneyorder because someone had stolen it out of his garage after he removed it from the car and went to town to get a box to ship it to me. Hard to beleive, but he did return my moneyorder and i had to pay extra to cash it at the place i bought it. I do not know but i always thought someone cdalled after i did and offered him more money for it. Who knows for sure. Marv64
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
wisbangman

Thanks for the answers so far - Anyone wanting to check the original posts, just hit SEARCH, and fill in - 1939 ford radio - and the original posts should pop up....thanks again
Old 02-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
charles in east texas

Tom, I will call you tomorrow. Regards Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #12
41 Fords ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
This may be the same fellow i replied to about the $150 39 radio. He said i was the first to reply and it was mine. I sent him the moneyorder for the $150 plus shipping. It never came and when i got in touch with him he said he returned my moneyorder because someone had stolen it out of his garage after he removed it from the car and went to town to get a box to ship it to me. Hard to beleive, but he did return my moneyorder and i had to pay extra to cash it at the place i bought it. I do not know but i always thought someone cdalled after i did and offered him more money for it. Who knows for sure. Marv64
Glad to hear you got your money back. It usually doesn't work out that way.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
4tford

a lot of guys are just fishing. The last PM I did not get a reply to was a guy looking for an "LB" block. I guess it will just sit here a while longer.
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
wisbangman

The fellow who answered my ' Radio Wanted ' post, did finally, get in touch. He had forgotten his pass word and had trouble getting on the site. We are working on a ' Sale ' on the radio. All of the answers you guys posted were very helpful in my ' education ' on wanted ads - thanks again !!!!....Tom
Old 02-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
37 Coupe

You are lucky first to get a response from anyone at all and hopefully it is legitimate. I have never had a problem on this site with PM but also have never had much luck finding parts I need. On the Early Ford V8 Club forum I had three responses from my last "Parts wanted "ad all scammers supposedly from UK. Naturally you sort it out but early in the morning before the first coffee and you see someone has part you have been looking for! and then you see he even has a whole case of them,crap!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
charles in east texas

Tom, pictures in the snail mail. Regards, Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

I had a want ad up here and specifically asked anyone who reponded to please send me a pm or an email if they had this item and also let me know their price. Two days later I looked at the post and saw that someone had made a response saying they had this item for $xx.xx leaving their email and phone number for me to contact them. I responded to them by email and received a message back saying that since they had not heard from me in two days, they had sold this item to another Ford Barner. Then I received a very childish message from a well known long term FB member saying that he was the one who bought (sniped) this item because he wanted it and I had not responded quick enough. His message basically said.."ha ha I got it, you didn't....you snooze you lose". That little episode told me all I ever wanted/needed to know about that individual. I believe he will be the biggest loser since I will no longer recommend him or his services to anyone ever again.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-14-2012 at 09:34 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #18
Hoop

Irony.

It takes a while for folks to figure out that posting on a forum classified ad makes as much sense as taking out another ad to respond to a newspaper advertisement.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I had a want ad up here and specifically asked anyone who reponded to please send me a pm or an email if they had this item and also let me know their price. Two days later I looked at the post and saw that someone had made a response saying they had this item for $xx.xx leaving their email and phone number for me to contact them. I responded to them by email and received a message back saying that since they had not heard from me in two days, they had sold this item to another Ford Barner. Then I received a very childish message from a well known long term FB member saying that he was the one who bought (sniped) this item because he wanted it and I had not responded quick enough. His message basically said.."ha ha I got it, you didn't....you snooze you lose". That little episode told me all I ever wanted/needed to know about that individual. I believe he will be the biggest loser since I will no longer recommend him or his services to anyone ever again.
Any chance one of his initials was "K"? DD
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote