Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Need some help in MA

I have my 35 wagon out and about, but I am experiencing a vibration at about 50-55MPH. The alignment guy suggested that I have some run out in the original 5 x 5.5 wire wheels ( I am using radials ).

I want to do some testing and am considering installing a set of wheels known to be true ( doesn't matter if they are wire). I want to change out my wires for "good" wheels and see if I still have vibration.

I am trying to determine for sure that the problem is the wheels and not something else. I don't want to just move what I have around, .. yet.

Sooo... I am looking for someone nearby who has a set of "good" wheels/tires that I could borrow for a day or two. Put em on my car, run it, and compare for vibration.

Of course I would pick em up, return them in same condition.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Need some help in MA

What brand of radials do you have? Coker tires have a lot of problems with untrue tires. If you complain to them they will send you some others. You should be able to put a set of wheels off of a 84-93 1/2 ton Ford pick up or Bronco to see if it virbrates. Good luck ....

Old 03-26-2005, 10:52 PM   #3

A worn universal can vibrate .55 and 60 is fast in a old ford and may be the problem.How does it act at 40 to 50?

Old 03-27-2005, 01:29 AM   #4

My experance with wheel hop on my Model A. I have Michalin tube type radials on 35 wires on 40 drums. I didn't have the spacers, We never gave that a thought yr's ago. They went fine up to about 55mph and then they started bounceing up and down. I thought it was my wheel bad. SO, I mounted the tires on a set of steel 40 wheels. Same problem. I borrowed a Hunter wheel balancer and spun the wheels on the car. The wheel ran out of round quite a bit. I removed the wheels and took a 2ft. carpenter square, layed it on the floor and up against one of the studs on the drum. I turned the drum and found square would miss the stud on the other side about 1/8in. My wheel stud patten was out around. No balanceing in the world is going to fix an out around tire, wheel, or drum stud patten. I'm still trying to locate a decent set of front drums. Walt

Old 03-27-2005, 01:47 AM   #5

It works just fine at 40... Prior to alignment it did have some vibraton at 40-45 tho.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:48 AM   #6

Using Diamondbacks... so the PU or Bronco are 5 X 5.5 (?)