Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default question to fourdy

fourdy i for got to say i have a 8ba motor in my 39 cpe. and dureing this process can i drop 39 tranny out the bottom? bills1935

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: question to fourdy

Bill if you are putting in a C-4 in your car you will have to pull the motor. I would use the kit from Flat-O Products and he has all the pieces to do the job. It will require taking out the center piece of the frame which is riveted to the X-members. There are three plates (one top , one bottom and one rear) which bolt in place of the piece you remove. The bottom plate is your trans mount and also the mount for the front split wishbones. You will also need to put parallel leaf springs in the rear and use a late model rear from a later Ford(Mustang etc.). You could use the banjo rear end , but you must convert it to open drive and make a frame bracket to mount the rear wishbones. It's a fair amount of work , but the flathead works well with the C-4. I will be putting one in my 40 coupe with a 53 Merc motor.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

thanks tj

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Bill,

Just now saw your post and it looks like the guys have pretty well answered for you. As you probably have seen my webshots albums, you saw that I put my trans, eng and rear end all in the frame before putting the body on. Since I used a corvette rear and mustang front end I can't help you with splitting wishbones and paralell springs.

I did make my trans mounting plate so that I can remove the trans from the bottom at a later time if needed. I am still pondering the idea of installing a gear vendor o/d unit.

Sorry I'm not much help for you.

Fourdy