Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
John Butts in CT

Default Re: Model As, Built During a Very Difficult Time

This is a Dorothea Lange image from Oklahoma, 1935. Every time I see this I hope that the family Tudor carried these girls to a kinder future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 561px-OklahomaChildrenCrutches1935Lange.jpeg (30.5 KB, 106 views)
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #22
Louis

John Butts,
Thank you for those great pic's. the people of that time were very strong folks, but I would guess the folks before them in the covered wagons crossing this country were even tougher, ....looks like every generation is getting weaker, and I'm one of them.
don't know where it will end, but it cant be good.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #23
ericr

according to Dad's contemporaries, long since deceased, what made the '30s so numbing was the previous perception that we were moving into a golden era during the years '26, '27', 28, although in retrospect that belief was somewhat ill-founded; and when the downturn came, and lingered and lingered, it seemed like a bad dream.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
Randy in Illinois

Tom, right you are about driving and installing new grease smell, but the history will be new along with new memories. great old pictures from everyone.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Illinois View Post
Tom, right you are about driving and installing new grease smell, but the history will be new along with new memories. great old pictures from everyone.
I always liked going into my grandfather's machine shed and smelling the air filled with grease and the aroma of many different cans of oil, kerosene, etc. I haven't been able to find the same smell in any newer buildings.

Unfortunately the old farm place was sold about 6 years ago and the new owners burned every building to the ground, just to be able to plow up a few more acres.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #26
roccaas

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
"By 1934, it was estimated that 100 million acres of farmland had lost all or most of the topsoil to the winds. "
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #27
Oldnuts

Great stories and pictures guys. I try to poke at my grand parents about the cars and depression/ dust bowl times but none are old enough to remember any major details of it. I'm only 28 and they are relatively you for grandparents. Thanks for sharing all these stories I'm really enjoying them.
Oldnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #28
Randy in ca

What many left behind:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dust Bowl - Dallas, South Dakota 1936.jpg (70.1 KB, 108 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #29
TDO

You got to admit those were and still are some tough cars. Hay they took a beaten. And I've always loved them. Simpler the better .
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #30
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Butts in CT View Post
This is a Dorothea Lange image from Oklahoma, 1935. Every time I see this I hope that the family Tudor carried these girls to a kinder future.
I wonder if the girl had Polio? I know what it's like, In the same year, 1935, I had it, but at 77, I can still drive! Bill W.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #31
Bob-A

[QUOTE=Tom Wesenberg;693767]I always liked going into my grandfather's machine shed and smelling the air filled with grease and the aroma of many different cans of oil, kerosene, etc. I haven't been able to find the same smell in any newer buildings.

In my shop I've got my unrestored '29 Chevy coach and unrestored '31
Model-A deluxe roadster. Both cars are licensed and driven and when
each time I enter the building. The "patina smell" is so great that a big smile comes over my face and I think of how lucky I am to have them.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #32
WTSHNN

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #33
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I wonder if the girl had Polio? I know what it's like, In the same year, 1935, I had it, but at 77, I can still drive! Bill W.
Bill, you must have had it as a very young infant. Could you tell us a bit about yourself? I've always enjoyed your postings and have often wished I could sit over a cup of coffee with you.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #34
john in illinois

Life in the dustbowl era was almost unthinkable today. The best book that I have read on it is "The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan 2006. A lot about the cars and how they traveled in the storms.
I always wondered how they could last with no air filter.

My family left Illinois and went to California during the depression. My grandfather got a job in a movie studio. Later he moved back and started farming again. I still live on the family farm in the house built in 1868.

There is a lot of history in this country made by a lot of hard work. No iPhones in 1930.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #35
Terry, NJ

Tom, with me it was not Granpa, it was "Cousin Les's" farm. About eighty acres in Hunterdon Co. NJ. The shop was there and the smell of old oil and grease that goes up your nose and stays there was there also. When I was doing a little farming and bought my second tractor, an Intl H, the smell was on it too. Cousin Les had a 1936 JD B and a JD 60 with a side wheel, Gawd could they even build those today? I'm like hunting dog, I associate many things with their smells. Like rural poverty has a smell to it. It goes up your nose and stays there. Watching the movie "Coal Miner's Daughter" brought it all back to me.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I always liked going into my grandfather's machine shed and smelling the air filled with grease and the aroma of many different cans of oil, kerosene, etc. I haven't been able to find the same smell in any newer buildings.

Unfortunately the old farm place was sold about 6 years ago and the new owners burned every building to the ground, just to be able to plow up a few more acres.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #36
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnuts View Post
Great stories and pictures guys. I try to poke at my grand parents about the cars and depression/ dust bowl times but none are old enough to remember any major details of it. I'm only 28 and they are relatively you for grandparents. Thanks for sharing all these stories I'm really enjoying them.
Did you know this: hoboes travelling around on trains used to have a way of chalking the curbs on the particular residences near the railroad yards that were generous about giving a meal to vagrants who knocked on the door. One of Dad's friends had a soft-hearted old aunt living near train tracks that had several yards of chalk marks up and down her curb stones.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #37
John Butts in CT

Here are some pretty well known images.

In 1939, Russell Lee, photographer with the Farm Security Administration, shadowed Elmer Thomas and his family from Muskogee, Oklahoma to California. Large images can be viewed at http://www.shorpy.com/node/1757

In 2010, the daughter of the young woman in the pickup bed reported that the family, including the dog, made it through to Bakersfield, CA. Other descendants have also posted on the Shorpy site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elmer Thomas 1939 02.jpg (90.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Elmer Thomas 1939 01.jpg (115.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Elmer Thomas 1939 03.jpg (62.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Elner Thomas 1939 04.jpg (64.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #38
columbiA

I have a friend in my town who could tell many stories about the the dust bowl.I n 1940, he & his wife drove from Oklahoma to Oregon in a 31 S/W sedan.He is 90 yrs old.while the dust bowl was going on,the same thing was going on in the prairies of Canada.He had the bed on top & the back seat filled with belongings.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #39
John Butts in CT

While we're on the "hard times" theme, here are two 1938 images of a '29 Business Coupe with rumble seat conversion and what seems to be a 19" wheel.

Anyway, a far cry from the advertisements of 9-10 years earlier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Business Coupe 1938 02.jpg (52.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Business Coupe 1938 01.JPG (47.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #40
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee/Chandler, TX View Post
Bill, you must have had it as a very young infant. Could you tell us a bit about yourself? I've always enjoyed your postings and have often wished I could sit over a cup of coffee with you.
Yo, Bill Lee,
Had Polio at 2 & after numerous surgeries, body braces, etc. at Crippled Children's Hospital in Oklahoma City, I was able to learn to walk again with leg braces.
My "chassis" was like an old Model A frame that not only sagged, but looked like it had been rear ended by Chief, my Dad, drivin an "AA" dump truck loaded with gravel, when he worked for W.P.A! Bill W.