Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
Al NJ

Default Transmission rebuilder

My nephew has a ‘48 Ford F-1 with a Flathead 6 and a 4 speed.
The transmission is in serious need of a rebuild, or so I suspect. When I drove it you could barely get it to shift into 3rd, (from 2nd). When at a stand still and idling you can barely get it into 2nd to start off. (1st gear is a granny gear)
I tried double clutching, doesn’t seem to matter if you do or not. (I’m only familiar with my ‘33 wagon, which I don’t have to double clutch in and my son’s Model A, which I do have to double clutch)
I’m half wondering if it has gear lube in it, or the correct lube.
It’s about 100 miles away from where I live so I can’t run out and check it.
My nephew isn’t real “handy”.
So my question is, provided it does need to be rebuilt, does anybody know of anyone in the Ocean County, NJ area that would remove, rebuild and re-install the trans. Or possibly put a 3 speed in it as a friend of mine told me that might be a better solution.
I have enough projects of my own so I only want to “consult” on this, lol, or maybe check the gear lube in the trans the next time I’m where the truck is.
Thanks.
Al NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Transmission rebuilder

The 4 speed would be a spur gear transmission like the model A

it seems from your description that there is a good chance the clutch is drsgging
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:56 PM   #3
Brian

I agree with Kurt...how much free travel is there at the pedal? these 4 speeds are pretty well bullet proof. You're obviously familiar with double clutching, I find these things change best at low revs.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:15 AM   #4
56markII

I agree with the clutch dragging which would make it a PITA to get into 2nd or shift As for spur gear trannies my father had a Mercury 3 Ton with an Eaton transmission that also had spur gears. OMG was that a chore to shift while even double clutching It was also quite noisy in certain gears due to this but my father could shift it double clutch method like it was totally synchronized with never a clash or grind. The clutch could be dragging but also what about the pilot bushing? If it is dry or the grease/oil lining it is dried out or gone can also cause dragging.
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:09 AM   #5
Al NJ

Thanks for the responses. The previous owner told him he didn’t drive the truck much at all. And I don’t know if the trans was rebuilt when it was “restored”. The clutch pedal felt okay to me but I’ll check it out more closely the next time I see him, in about 2 weeks. I’ll bring some tools and cardboard to lay on. Lol. Thanks again.
Al NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
51504bat

In the past I had several 1940 1 1/2 ton trucks with the granny 4 speeds. Both trucks had sat out side and even though the cabs were in tact both trans got water in them. You might want to pull the drain plug and see what comes out. If it has water in it I'd drain it flush it with diesel and refill with fresh gear oil and see what happens. Just a thought.