Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default 1928 Phaeton Rear Floor Mat?

Speaking of reproducing floor mats, I would like to see a correct rear floor mat for the 1928-9 Phaetons.
I know Dave Lopes and some guys have gone through high points judging by having to cut and make their own.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
DougVieyra

Default Re: 1928 Phaeton Rear Floor Mat?

I was fortunate in 1967 or '68, to have bought two exact duplicates of the original rear floor mat for the 1928-'29 Ford Phaeton. A friend and avid Ford aficionado and collector Bob Rushing of San Leandro, California had made up a special limited run of about 100 of these unique mats. I installed one in my '28 Phaeton when I restored it about 1979 or '80, and kept the other as a spare. I don't know what it looks like now, but it has been stored, rolled up in the original box, since that time. Knowing how brittle rubber gets over time, I can expect the worst.

So it will be a welcome enrichment to the hobby and a special delight to '28-'29 Phaeton owners if and when a new run becomes available.

Having been 'out of the loop' regarding Model A Club, events, shows and judging, for the last twenty five years, I am not familiar with Dave Lopes and his well-spoken of Phaeton. How can I learn more about him and his car?
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
wrndln

I put a wanted ad here on Fordbarn for a 28/29 phaeton rear floormat some time ago - no responses. I wasn't surprised. It would be real nice if some company would make phaeton rear floormats, but I suspect a cost analysis would make it economically unfeasible as there probably aren't that many phaeton owners that would buy them. Tom Wesenberg would and so would I. I have heard that 30/31 4 door phaetons use the same rear mat and if true, that would encompass more potential buyers. Overall, I am not getting my hopes up that anyone will make the rear mats in the foreseeable future.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Arlen

I bought the rear mat for my 30 phaeton a few months ago. Had to look all the way to Australia to find it. I was told that the mold to produce the rear mats for the phaetons broke around 2 years ago and has never been replaced. There was talk of some guys in New Zealand going into production on them but I don't know that it's happened yet. As far as any American parts vendors, everyone here has sold out. I had thought about getting a rear mat for a Tudor and trimming it. I think that would work fine.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
wrndln

Arlen,
Would it be to much trouble to measure the rear mat you recently bought? I am wondering if a 30/31 mat is the same as a 28/29. I have been led to believe they are the same. Since the mats are very hard to find, if I did find a 30/31 mat, would it fit correctly? Also, do you know if the place in Australia where you bought you mat has any more rear mats available?
Rusty Nelson
Old 11-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

The Phaeton rear mat was the same size all years. I believe we currently have it written that the mat was the pyramid design in '28-29 and starburst pattern in '30-31. I need to look into that further as I suspect the pyramid design ran later, but that may apply to the rumble mat only.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
wrndln

Marco,
I would tend to agree that it seems like the pyramid material was used on 30/31 A's and the splash or starburst pattern on 28/29. If you find out which is which, please post your findings. I guess I would take either one at this point.
Rusty Nelson
Old 11-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
DougVieyra

Marco - (or anyone) when one could still get a reproduction rear floor mat for the '28-'31 Phaeton, do you know which of the two patterns was used in the reproduction mat - was it the pyramid design, or the 'Star Burst' design ?

Last edited by DougVieyra; 11-20-2013 at 09:22 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
barnstuf

I own an August 1929 Phaeton purchased many years ago from the original owner with low miles when purchased. The rear floor mat is original and I just went to the barn and looked at it, and it has the starburst pattern. I hope this helps.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Marco,
I would tend to agree that it seems like the pyramid material was used on 30/31 A's and the splash or starburst pattern on 28/29. If you find out which is which, please post your findings. I guess I would take either one at this point.
Rusty Nelson
I'm guessing you're relating that to running board rubber where the '30-31 running boards had the pyramid rubber. I think that was done more for safety. As far as the pyramid pattern floor mats, that was a direct carryover from the Model "T" including the "Ford" script. The more I think about it the Phaeton MAY have changed to the "new" starburst pattern in the rear earlier as the front and rear mats are both visible at the same time. The rumble seat mat is in a cave! I have my work cut out for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Marco - (or anyone) when one could still get a reproduction rear floor mat for the '28-'31 Phaeton, do you know which of the two patterns was used in the reproduction mat - was it the pyramid design, or the 'Star Burst' design ?
I've never seen anything but the common starburst pattern mats offered by the vendors.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
Arlen

The one I bought is starburst pattern. Matches the front seat mat
Old 11-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
I own an August 1929 Phaeton purchased many years ago from the original owner with low miles when purchased. The rear floor mat is original and I just went to the barn and looked at it, and it has the starburst pattern. I hope this helps.
That sounds like a nice car! Have you by any chance looked at the underside of the mat? I'm curious who the manufacturer was. It seems so far that "Baldwin Rubber Co." was the most common but I wonder how many different suppliers there were.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
quickchange

Arlen , You got the mat from me in New Zealand i beleive, had an old but repo one in stock. only had one . Early Ford parts produce the splatter RHD front matts here, Did have to get the moulds reworked couple of years ago. Derek from a hot NZ
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
Arlen

That's right. New Zealand I meant There were some other guys in New Zealand who were talking about reproducing them but I don't know that it ever happened. This is going to get to be a real problem if nobody starts to make them again. Nobody will want to restore phaetons anymore if they can't finish out the interior in them.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #15
Tudortomnz

The RHD front splatter mat was copied from an original RHD 1930 mat from a Tudor. This was carried out by Les Pearson [ fbrn RHD] with skilled hand work on the metal dies by my old mate Murray Jackson. We all worked at a Graphics pre Print Firm back then. The mats were then reproduced in rubber by a local company.
Who ever now owns the dies [ Les sold out & now writes Model A Restoration books] may still be producing them.
I doubt anyone here will be contemplating making early floor mats, due to the horrendous costs involved these days. But I am sure the Chinese could do it for a good price!
BTW, the original rear mat [ pyramid] in my Canadian Tudor is made by Baldwin Rubber of Pontiac Mich.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
BTW, the original rear mat [ pyramid] in my Canadian Tudor is made by Baldwin Rubber of Pontiac Mich.
Thanks for including that little note. It never occurred to me that they may have made a pyramid mat for the rear of the Tudor. It looks like I have a little more homework to do!
Old 12-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
rossofozini

My early 28 Canada/Australia

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attach...6&d=1322119079
rossofozini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
quickchange

Early ford parts here does the front matt, Now done in S Africa i beleive , mould was either broken or some problem , George mentioned something about the glass needed work & had to be sent overseas , Anyway new front matts are avalible , Heavy .
Old 12-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
wrndln

Quickchange,
If you find out anything about rear floormats for phaetons, please post it here or let me know. I would sure like to find a decent rear mat for my 29 phaeton. Luckily the rear mat is the same for RHD or LHD cars, unlike the front mat.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
quickchange

I contacted George re rear matt, at this stage does not look hopeful due to the cost of making a new mould , We are looking into it & if it happens will report here , suggested that the two of us dealers go intogether on it to spread the costs ,