Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #21
Kube

Default Re: Electric fan over a belted fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t8v8 View Post
Yeah. Ralph is my hero. Wish we had more like him. No. Wait. We do! I drove a Corvair and a Pinto for years and somehow managed to survive.
So did most people that drove those two (examples) of cars. That doesn't negate the fact that they were sold to the public KNOWING they had extremely serious issues with safety.

Last edited by Kube; 04-15-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Kube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:15 AM   #22
tubman

I had a '61 Monza coupe from new. I experienced the dreaded "swing axle tuck under and spin out" personally. I wiped out the right side of the car on a tree on the left side of the road. Luckily, I wasn't hurt and the car still drove, so I was able to get home. It did quite a bit of damage, however. I drove that car another couple of years. Except for a non-functioning door on the passenger side (a decided disadvantage in a coupe), it worked fine.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:40 PM   #23
4t8v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
So did most people that drove those two (examples) of cars. That doesn't negate the fact that they were sold to the public KNOWING they had extremely serious issues with safety.

I can explain it for you. However, I can't understand it for you.

"Come on man. Gimmie a break!" [/QUOTE] I fully understand. I said Ralphie is my hero!
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:33 PM   #24
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t8v8 View Post
"Come on man. Gimmie a break!"
I fully understand. I said Ralphie is my hero![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the smiles. I needed that after a day in the shop.
Enjoy your evening!
Old 04-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #25
Holeshot

Ef ftw
Old 04-16-2021, 08:14 AM   #26
markdtn

On my 2N tractor with 8BA, I have an electric fan. To fit using the common conversion kit you have to machine the front groove off the lower pulley. Even if you extended the tractor another inch or so, you would still not have a lot of room for a mechanical fan (and the hood would require mods).

As far as electric fans, the aftermarket has some good stuff and some junk. On every electric fan conversion I have done, I have used OEM fans. They are tested to last hundreds of thousands of miles and replacement motors are available at any auto parts store in the country if needed. Now, you do have to have a good alternator to run them. This one is an early Taurus 2-speed fan. I have also used Lincoln LS, dual Corvette, dual Contour and a few others on different projects over the years. I tried a cheap aftermarket once but it didn't cool much at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0440ml.jpg (94.3 KB, 25 views)
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:57 PM   #27
Ardun

I have an Electric Fan in my ARDUN equipped 53, 33 coupe and 34 tub. All work great. Coupe has a 5.0 HO with a Holley Terminator System that controls the fan nicely. The others have a thermostat control with an override switch.
Ardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:19 AM   #28
Bored&Stroked

The 35 Coupe with the SCOT setup and fan is really nicely done - but he has the room to do it. It would be really hard to fit all of that into a 32 - 34 car - there just isn't all that much room to fit all of that in . . . but hey, worth a try!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:27 PM   #29
Talkwrench

Ive been running an electric fan for years of daily driving , works fine does what its supposed to do. I think the main reason I put it on was the original hung off a 12 volt alternator and I dont think the bearings in it where designed for all that extra whizzin' around..
I also run electronic ignition and central locking .. I must be a bad person ..
Old 04-19-2021, 03:18 AM   #30
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
The 35 Coupe with the SCOT setup and fan is really nicely done - but he has the room to do it. It would be really hard to fit all of that into a 32 - 34 car - there just isn't all that much room to fit all of that in.
Well.........that ain't quite how it is! '35 and '36 are famous for not being able to run anything but that wimpy, stock fan on the generator, because just like the '33s and '34s, that pesky radiator leans-back at such an extreme angle. And when you start talking 8BA-type engines, things get really tight. That's why Heard and I went to such lengths to design and build our fan contraption.

On PeterC's gorgeous '35, you THINK there's plenty of room. One thing that everyone should know about THAT '35 coupe....it is a well-thought-out and precisely-engineered piece of 'art'! The number of subtle, nearly undetectable modifications and tweaks is off the chart on that car. I happen to know that Peter moved the engine rearward nearly 1/2" during the build. He also modified an aluminum, H&H-supplied S.Co.T. blower idler arm for the fan mount, which essentially lowers the fan and moves it rearward just like our home-brewed rig does on Heard's coupe. You can see the extreme angle of the radiator, plus the lack of space with the stock '35 in top picture. Second pic shows the angle again, as well as the limited amount of space between top of fan and radiator in Heard's '36 utilizing the rig we built. DD

'36 with 24-Stud "59"-Type Engine BELOW

Heard's Coupe with 8BA/Modified Fan Mount BELOW

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote