Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #1
1928Pickuppain

Default Sub frame differences need clearity

So i have a 28 roadster pickup that started life as a 5 window coupe that was rolled down a mountin in 36’ the origonal owner cut off everything from the windsheld back leaving the cowl and subrails then he cobbled and tack welded roadster pickup parts on and had an old wood dump bed and he used it as his daily driver like that till 2002’ when he passed well his mail man got the truck and drove it as his mail truck till 2008’ thats when i bought it, i did some mechaincal repairs and and some cosmetic repairs and tried to make the cobbled body look halfway decent with the limited funds i had. Now a decade latter im planing to restore it properly i have most of the roadster pickup body parts already on it but what im wondering is the roaster pickup subframes the same as a coupe subframes, just shorter? If so what normaly caps the back of it? Mine are juct cut off flush with the back body panel. I have an origonal bed too but the cowl posts of need to be changed out for open cab ones and i need to pick up other roadster pickup parts.. basicly i need to dissaseble entier body and restore each peaice and repalce with incorrect parts with correct parts.

Does it even make sence to go this direction or should i try to search for a coup body and restore that?? What is all of your thoughts. Fyi i am a a magicain with metal and body work sk if i did find a rusted out hulk of a body that most would send to the scrap yard. i would be able to bring her back

Thanks

I gueesss big question i had origoanly on top of others is whats the differnce in subrails. Hahaha

Last edited by 1928Pickuppain; 06-07-2021 at 09:49 PM.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:16 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Sub frame differences need clearity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Pickuppain View Post
So i have a 28 roadster pickup that started life as a 5 window coupe that was rolled down a mountin in 36’ the origonal owner cut off everything from the windsheld back leaving the cowl and subrails then he cobbled and tack welded roadster pickup parts on and had an old wood dump bed and he used it as his daily driver like that till 2002’ when he passed well his mail man got the truck and drove it as his mail truck till 2008’ thats when i bought it, i did some mechaincal repairs and and some cosmetic repairs and tried to make the cobbled body look halfway decent with the limited funds i had. Now a decade latter im planing to restore it properly i have most of the roadster pickup body parts already on it but what im wondering is the roaster pickup subframes the same as a coupe subframes, just shorter? If so what normaly caps the back of it? Mine are juct cut off flush with the back body panel. I have an origonal bed too but the cowl posts of need to be changed out for open cab ones and i need to pick up other roadster pickup parts.. basicly i need to dissaseble entier body and restore each peaice and repalce with incorrect parts with correct parts.

Does it even make sence to go this direction or should i try to search for a coup body and restore that?? What is all of your thoughts. Fyi i am a a magicain with metal and body work sk if i did find a rusted out hulk of a body that most would send to the scrap yard. i would be able to bring her back

Thanks

I gueesss big question i had origoanly on top of others is whats the differnce in subrails. Hahaha

In a nutshell, ...the A-76030-AR & A-76031-AR body side sills for the 76A Open Cab Pick-up, and the A-45030 & A-45031 Body Side Sills for the 45A, 49A, 50A and 54A Coupe are really as different as night & day. There really is too many subtle differences to list every one of them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Roadster rails are similar in the front since they both have the open car type cowl but it would be easier to just use open type pickup stuff to keep the body mounting correct. A person can purchase the whole body if you can afford the Brookville reproduction.

The open cab or roadster pickup uses all the characteristic open car cowl and door parts. The rear section is obviously different and the top is a simple set up compared to a roadster car. Body blocks and bed blocks are unique. New beds are also available if a person has the funds and isn't worried about originality. most metal parts should be available depending on the sources. Brookville makes all that stuff for roadster types and likely one or two other outfits for some of it.

The 28/29/E30 closed cab pickups are taller profile and use the late model T truck type doors but there may be an old closed cab setting around out there somewhere.

The closed car cowl with coupe pillar can be used on any coupe or tudor sedan. Fordor sedans are different. You can purchase new body sills & channels for the coupes & tudor but not many other parts other than patch panels & door skins are available. A person would have to look for a relatively decent old body and restore it.

If your good with wood, you can make a station wagon out of it.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-08-2021 at 10:44 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post

If you're good with wood, you can make a station wagon out of it.
The only thing about building a 150A/B body is you need to be good at metal fabrication too because of all the brackets used in a S/W body. Until we started restoring a couple of them, I did not realize just how many brackets and specialty metal pieces (such as door hinges) are in one of those.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:27 PM   #5
1928Pickuppain

I think what im going to start doing is searching ebay for as many origonal missing sheetmetal parts as i can and just stock piling them over the summer and fall and maybe starting the tearmdown in the spring might buy new subrails asit seems like origonal subrails are always pretty toasted.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote