Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #21
James Rogers

Default Re: Tranny fluid leaking from clutch housing hole

Rear main.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:08 AM   #22
erjbsa

I installed a Michell trans in my car and it did the same thing. They specify 80-90w gear oil. It turned out that the corners of the top cover were leaking and also the shift rod holes inside the bell housing. The A trans was never designed to run 80-90w. Some RTV in the corners where the two gaskets meet and a trans seal kit cured the problem.
erjbsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #23
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
FOLLOW UP:

I'm very embarassed to report that it was NOT tranny fluid as suspected before. It is indeed motor oil. I am very, very sorry for the misinformation.

I suspected it was tranny fluid because of the color and it seemed thicker than motor oil. I hadn't considered that the motor oil would be thicker once it hit the cold metal pan on the floor. Again, I am truly sorry for the misinformation.

Plan now is to pull the motor (AGAIN!!!) soon and flip it over and take the rear cap apart and find out what is happening. Hopefully, it will be simple like the vent tube fell off, or something similar.

Thank you again for the help and advice that helped me narrow this down.

Make sure the rear main drain tube is not blocked. Many times the tube is screwed in too far and the path to the tube is obstructed, so it goes out the back. I found it necessary at times to slightly hollow out with a dremmel the back end of the threaded area of the tube so that the oil has a unobstructed path to the tube. once in place a light tack weld on the tube helps to ensure it will be held solid.

It would be beneficial to have someone schooled at this to help you and know what they are looking at and doing. Of course you could have other rear main issues causing the issue as well.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote