Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
P.S.

Default Coast to coast

A friend just picked up a superb sedan that is in Florida and recruited me to help him drive it back to California in September. I can't be away from my business for too long, so we plan to do about 600 miles each day.

Plan is to take the southern route. We have hotels and gas stops mapped. Hope to see a few sights, but it will mostly be all business. Seeing another Model A or two along the way would be cool if any of you guys happen to be along our route. Will update as things unfold..
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
31Abone

Default Re: Coast to coast

what city calif ?
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
40 Deluxe

600 miles a day will take maybe 14-15 hours a day. Why push so hard? Instead, enjoy the journey! Enjoy the car instead of flogging it so hard! When is the next time you will have an opportunity for a road trip like this?! Can "business" be that important, that you can't take time to "stop and smell the flowers"??
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

I really think 600 miles a day in a A is pushing it... we did Niagara and it took 2 days and we pushed to about 12 hours a day....I really don't think you will accomplish the 600 per day that you think..
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Sounds like a fun trip, but I too would take it easy and make the trip more enjoyable.
Will there be two drivers and two cars, or will you both share driving the model A, and that be the only car?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
Dennis Pereira

600 miles a day in a modern vehicle gets old real fast . I don't see how you will get any enjoyment out of pushing an antique auto that hard .
Old 08-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Bruce

I agree that 600 mile/day would be a lot -- even if you were flogging a rent car. In a Model A -- no matter how "touring class" you make it -- 600 miles in a day would make you feel like you were in a Mad Max movie. However, I also know that Mark and the other Town Sedans that we were trying to keep up with were driving "Station Wagon speeds" so we didn't overly stress our new engine. Without the 50 mph'ers they could have made it to The Falls in a day. But they wouldn't have had so much fun!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
bikemaniac

You have planned hotels and gas stops. But have you also planned on what to do if you have a mechanical or electrical breakdown that will strand for 1 day or more?
bikemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
CarlG

My friend just drove his Model A from Anchorage to the Chicago area. About 300 miles per day was comfortable. Some days were a little longer, but those became very tiring, and made the next day not so enjoyable.

600 miles per day in a Model A is going to take you roughly 18 hours on the clock to complete. Not much time to rest at the end of the day.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i would ship it on enclosed transport being it is a newly purchased car.. if driving it is a must i would thoroughly ck it over and service it first... being on foreign turf that may be hard to do

im not one to just buy a car and drive it across the country without knowing everyhting about the mechanicals

i wish u the best on your adventure
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #11
Gil Sissons

If I read the post correctly....the purchased can is a unknown car to you.
Although your own personal car may be able to keep up a 600 mile per
day pace.....I would suggest you have plans in place for your business'
#2 person to run things a few days.
My opinio .... You are asking a lot of the newly purchased car.
Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Are the tires new, has the engine been rebuilt, is everything else like new ? Why would you ever chance 600 miles a day. Hopefully not to save money because I bet when you are finished and total up the costs you could have schipperke it cheaper ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I concur with all the wise advice above....I don't even drive my new car that far in one day. 350 miles is far enough for a day.....IMO. But, it's your car on your time and dime!! I wish you a safe journey.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
P.S.

Yes, the business is that important. Lots of people and their families depending on it for their livelihood. The responsibility of being a business owner. Most people cannot understand.

By sharing the driving, we think 300 miles per day each while the other is resting should be easier. Or so we think. We are both young and energetic. If we were in our 50's or older, then it would be a different story. The wives are not coming along.

As for breakdown plans, we are shipping out tools etc. we might need that will go with us. That way we don't have to worry about the airline losing it. If UPS loses the package, that is another story.

No chase car.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #15
burner31

Put it on a car trailer and haul it home, you'll make better time, won't worry much about a breakdown, if your tow vehicle is good, make it back when you plan, get yourself and others back to work, would be easier on your body, would be easier on the model A.
Seems cut and dry...trailer it home and enjoy all the waves and smiles from the other people on the road.
You can enjoy driving it when you get it home.

If not...what's your route? Coming through Oklahoma?
How about a pic of your map/route so we can wave and say "HI" as you head home.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
Rex_A_Lott

Where in Florida?
IMHO your friend would do well to find another friend that's not in such a hurry. One of you could accompany him on half the journey, and then fly back and the other could fly out and drive the rest of the way home. Three people get to enjoy the fun instead of two.
IF you make it, you're going to be one tired mother chicken.
Make sure you have your AAA card.
Good Luck to you!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #17
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Put it on a car trailer and haul it home, you'll make better time, won't worry much about a breakdown, if your tow vehicle is good, make it back when you plan, get yourself and others back to work, would be easier on your body, would be easier on the model A.
Seems cut and dry...trailer it home and enjoy all the waves and smiles from the other people on the road.
You can enjoy driving it when you get it home.

If not...what's your route? Coming through Oklahoma?
How about a pic of your map/route so we can wave and say "HI" as you head home.
I know, I know... If it were mine, that is exactly what I would do. You, Mitch, Carl, etc. are all right.

However, it is not my car, it is his, and he wants to drive it back.

Our planned route is I-98 winding NW to I-10 W to 98 W to 49 W to I-20 W to 287 to I-40 W to 395 to highway 99 N to home.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #18
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
Where in Florida?
IMHO your friend would do well to find another friend that's not in such a hurry. One of you could accompany him on half the journey, and then fly back and the other could fly out and drive the rest of the way home. Three people get to enjoy the fun instead of two.
IF you make it, you're going to be one tired mother chicken.
Make sure you have your AAA card.
Good Luck to you!
He is the one who wants to be home in 5 days. I'm actually good until the following Monday, which is 7 days from departure. But not a day more.

Considering the adventure planned, I just had to be a part of it.

Worst case if we break down, we have to arrange shipping the car and fly home. Best case, we just drive straight home with no hiccups. I suspect the result will be somewhere between those two.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Tell him to go himself
Hate to be blunt but there should be common sense used also

Bring airfare money lol
Old 08-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #20
mrtexas

Do yourself a favor and ship the car, cost maybe $1,500 for enclosed on U-Ship. You can have it in less than a week from today and way cheaper than two guys flying out and driving back. BTW it is hotter than h@ll in September all the way from Florida to California. Plan on 93-95F minimum the whole way near the Gulf, hotter if more inland. I don't see how you can make 600 miles a day going 45mph especially without air conditioning. I'm on your route today near Houston and I10 and it is 100F and 100% humidity. Couple days next week is projected to be around 104F or so. The fastest way to California would be on I10 from coast to coast. Oh and out west of San Antonio there are stretches of I10 without a wide spot in the road for 100 miles! I drove from Southern California to Beaumont,TX myself in 1978, 1,600 miles. I drove like h@ll and it took 4 days. Haven't driven it again.

Don't be offended but I question your sanity.

Last edited by mrtexas; 08-07-2015 at 01:47 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #21
George Miller

Sounds like a adventure of a life time. When we go to northern Mich we drive strait through in a modern car. About 950 miles at about 18 hours. But that is only one day. In a modern car you will average about 50 miles per hour on good roads.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #22
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
He is the one who wants to be home in 5 days. I'm actually good until the following Monday, which is 7 days from departure. But not a day more.

Worst case if we break down, we have to arrange shipping the car and fly home. Best case, we just drive straight home with no hiccups. I suspect the result will be somewhere between those two.
Also if you have the time, you could get to the next town where you could rent a pull vehicle with trailer and hurry home. But remember that cell phone service is not 100% covered all over. Good luck and have fun.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #23
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:

The only sad part is Pauly....there is NO Adventure, you are doing highway driving which in a model a is the same as sleeping and rushing a trip to drive 15-16 hours a day....the first day fine...the second, and more is realllllllll!!! hard, and a hell of a lot harder then you think, when you wake up the 2nd day you will see what we all mean about not doing it the way you guys want to.. Safety counts of a bit more than getting home!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #24
Brian T

When I purchased my Double A it was in Wisconsin, my intentions were to go get it and trailer it back, I totaled up fuel cost, lodging, food, etc, which was considerably more than having it transported.
In addition to the savings, it eliminated any adverse weather conditions, or other problems and was insured against loss all the way.
All the best with your plans, Regards Brian.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #25
31Tudor

I think it will be difficult to drive/ maintain 50 miles an hour for 12 hours a day. You will certainly hit some windy days and in a Model A you will feel the wind gust like a kite. A good strong head wind will really slow you down. I also think that would be a fun journey, but racing against the clock will make for an un-enjoyable trip
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #26
Bob C

It's one thing to drive those hours in an modern air conditioned car and
quite another in a Model A.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #27
marc hildebrant

For my daily driving on trips, I average about 750 miles in a modern car. This is driving at the posted speed limit.

If you posted the note to ask for opinions, then my opinion is that you are very foolish to put 600 miles a day on a car that you do not know the condition of.

If you posted the note to just let the group know about your trip, then please respond with how the trip went.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #28
40 Deluxe

P.S., how about doing a trial run? The 2 of you hop in your coupe and head out on I5 or I80 for 300 miles and then head back on secondary 2 lane roads through the little towns and the country side. See which you like better and if 600 miles a day is really doable.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

Being young is a big advantage.
When I was 21 I drove my 1950 Studebaker 1500 miles home on leave from El Paso to Minneapolis in 24 hours. It was a foolish thing to do and I'd never do it again. Running against the clock makes the trip grueling rather than fun, but with two in one car to share the driving, it still could come off a quite an adventure. I wouldn't push the car past 45 unless you have overdrive. Looking forward to some pictures and reports.

Tie some bright colored streamers to the rear of the car. It might help to be noticed and not get rear ended.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #30
Synchro909

If the new Model A has an overdrive, you will make better time but 600 miles in a day for one day is one thing, repeating it over and over is entirely another. I'd find some other way. There's no point flogging yourself and the car. You will end up a wreck and might as well not be at work for the first day or two after you get back anyway.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #31
P.S.

Thanks guys.

Might be some confusion here.

No matter what, he is making the trip (with or without me). His mind is made up, and neither I nor anyone else can change his mind. With that being said, he asked me to come along since I might be helpful. Being a young, athletic, adventurous guy, I said "let me check with the wife!" Wife thought it would be the opportunity of a lifetime, and so do I.

I posted here to see how many barners might be positioned along the route and maybe shake a hand or two.

Yes, we are nuts. Yes, the car has overdrive. Yes, we know there is an element of danger. However, I'm 25 to 30 (or more) years away from retirement, and I sure don't want to wait that long to do stupid things like this with my buddies.

A few of you guys have already chimed in with similar trips you made when you were younger. You lived though it, and you have some good stories to tell. I don't have any of those kinds of stories yet, I need to make some.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #32
700rpm

I would do a similar trip if I was your age. In fact, I did, several times. But never on a freeway. Backroads would be less stressful, but I always try to drive 45 or less, which isn't your plan. Also, it isn't the trip of a lifetime. If you are like most Model A people, it is the first of many amazing trips. So I say go for it, have a plan B, and please keep us posted as you make the journey.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 08-07-2015 at 06:48 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #33
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover

BE SMART TRAILER IT YOU ARE HEADING FOR A TRAIN WRECK> Don in Indiana
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #34
Fred K-OR

P.S. here is a post made by another fellow that drove across country. May be a few ideas for you here.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152289
Old 08-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #35
P.S.

Don- Yes, you are most likely correct. I acknowledge that.

Fred- I did follow Greg's trip blog and thread while he was preparing, and then while making that trip. His adventure was fascinating. Our trip will only be a hundred miles more than his. In addition, we have some advantages over Greg's trip- overdrive and a much fresher car.

Yes, it would cost less to ship the car, we discussed that several times. But, that knucklehead is dead set on driving it back home, and what kind of friend would I be to let him fail alone? Everyone knows a good fail need a photographer.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #36
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana A. Lover View Post
BE SMART TRAILER IT YOU ARE HEADING FOR A TRAIN WRECK> Don in Indiana
Nah..........they won't run any crossing gates and they'll look both ways at all the R/R tracks.

I would look forward to any trip I could hook up with.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #37
zzlegend

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Might be some confusion here.

No matter what, he is making the trip (with or without me). His mind is made up, and neither I nor anyone else can change his mind. With that being said, he asked me to come along since I might be helpful. Being a young, athletic, adventurous guy, I said "let me check with the wife!" Wife thought it would be the opportunity of a lifetime, and so do I.

I posted here to see how many barners might be positioned along the route and maybe shake a hand or two.

Yes, we are nuts. Yes, the car has overdrive. Yes, we know there is an element of danger. However, I'm 25 to 30 (or more) years away from retirement, and I sure don't want to wait that long to do stupid things like this with my buddies.

A few of you guys have already chimed in with similar trips you made when you were younger. You lived though it, and you have some good stories to tell. I don't have any of those kinds of stories yet, I need to make some.
Well since no one answered your original question of possibly looking for you along the way and giving you a hand shake, I will say that I am already in Calif. but I would be in for buying you and your buddy lunch if you are any where near my area. You deserve it. Good luck on the trip.
Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #38
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Don- Yes, you are most likely correct. I acknowledge that.

Fred- I did follow Greg's trip blog and thread while he was preparing, and then while making that trip. His adventure was fascinating. Our trip will only be a hundred miles more than his. In addition, we have some advantages over Greg's trip- overdrive and a much fresher car.

Yes, it would cost less to ship the car, we discussed that several times. But, that knucklehead is dead set on driving it back home, and what kind of friend would I be to let him fail alone? Everyone knows a good fail need a photographer.
Well have fun and take along a MAFCA membership list so if you need, you could find some Model A guys along the way.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #39
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

PS,
Maybe i missed it, but do you have some pictures of your friends car?
Has it been a dependable tour car for the previous owner?
When i was in my early 30's, my wife and I and our 3 year old daughter took a 3600 mile trip from Long Beach, CA to Vancouver, Canada and back in a 1929 Tudor. We did have some problems, but had a great time and I'm glad we did it. We had the good fortune of doing it in 19 days.
It sounds like you have a hotter route to travel. I wish you well.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #40
kenparker

It sounds like the two of you have your minds made up and I can respect that, so I will not argue the trailering thing.

You posted route along the part of I-20 in east Texas runs within 1/4 mile of my house and shop. Just in case you need it you are welcome to use the shop and any tools necessary, but hope is you will not need them. You will need a meal though and if the schedule warrants the wife and I can take care of that. PM and I can give you my cell number. Ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #41
daveymc29

I drove from Danville CA to San Diego area, (Chula Vista) in one day in my roadster that I knew all about. It took me 16 hours and wore me out. That was in the spring with the temperature in the 50's to mid 60's on the route I took. Mostly 101. I rested two days and returned home, also in one day. About 17 hours and I'll never drive that far again in one day in an A. Took me two weeks to get over it. I saw a dying brother-in-law or wouldn't have attempted it. For him it was okay, but for me, tough. A week straight, no thanks. Ship it.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:22 PM   #42
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

While this sounds like a dream trip, unless you are flexible with your time, Murphy is waiting to bite you in the ass.

You two are planning a trip in an unknown car, following an unfamiliar route, with a specific time restraints. What could go wrong? At best it works, at worst you leave a dead car and your soon to be ex-friend behind as you fly out to your business.

I wish you luck!! Plan your route, go to MAFCA and MARC find the clubs along the route. Contact them to let them know of your plans so if something happens they will be aware and ready.

I have this from Bob Bidonde;
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Prepared For Touring.pdf (22.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 08-08-2015, 12:25 AM   #43
Kahuna

I hope you guys have a great trip, but I also would not do it in that time frame.
My 32 Tudor (flathead powered) will cruise all day at 70, or more mph, and I've driven it more than 400 miles in one day. To me, 600 is not possible, at least for me.
And then to do it over and over a 5 day period? No.
I must be a weenie.
Good luck
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:20 AM   #44
hardtimes

Quote:
A friend just picked up a superb sedan that is in Florida and recruited me to help him drive it back to California in September. I can't be away from my business for too long, so we plan to do about 600 miles each day.

Plan is to take the southern route. We have hotels and gas stops mapped. Hope to see a few sights, but it will mostly be all business. Seeing another Model A or two along the way would be cool if any of you guys happen to be along our route. Will update as things unfold..
Hey P.S.,
I'm in your mindset and corner ...all the way, and wish that I were young enough to do what you intend to do...or at least ATTEMPT it, eh !

You say 'superb sedan', and it had better be nothing less to push it 600 miles day after day. When young, I drove across the USA to East Coast and back to Ca, maybe 6 times. Sometimes in not so great a vehicle...but none of Model A vintage. I remember that we tried to maintain 550 to 600 mi a day pace, and I was one unhappy motorist at that rate, for sure !
And, I had unexpected breakdowns from equipment failure and overheating problems, as most parts of this land are very hot at this time of year. You say that no one will stop your friend and I'm keeping good thoughts that that is so ! However, if I were a betting man, I'd bet that you will become acquainted with MURPHY and that he will try his best to discourage you and friend. Yeah, I was an athlete also, but sitting for many/many hours in a cramped model a will test you physical and mental conditioning. I love your friends adventurous spirit, but have seen the same spirit be the downfall of some. Here's hoping that you have taken into consideration all safety precautions/preparations and have contingency plans. I hope that you guys fair well, however even it you two get thru in good condition, I do not see how that Model A will fair so well.
BTW...I will second the offer made by ZZ and with him will treat you both to some good food/drink, should you decide to stop here. PM if interested,eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:37 AM   #45
Synchro909

You're taking on a lot. Good luck with it all and if you happen by my place, feel free to drop in or get a new navigtor
Old 08-08-2015, 02:09 AM   #46
40 Deluxe

P.S., Sounds like you guys have done your homework and know what can be expected. Go for it! Will you be coming through Flagstaff, AZ by any chance? We're at 7,000 feet and it's cool here! However, you need to use I-40, and it has a lot of semi traffic!
Old 08-08-2015, 02:53 AM   #47
ppower

Contrary to most of the posts above, I would grasp the opportunity. As I told my son and his friends when they drove to Mongolia, when everything goes wrong just think "this is the part I will talk about when we get home".
ppower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #48
Stretch Cab

Ppower you are so right about what will eventually become the best part of the trip. Most of us are scared of the what if's of adventure. I just hope the trip is reported here with lots of pictures and NO I told you so.........
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #49
Bill's Auto Works

I say DO IT! & I am a transporter. I should be saying hire me to do it LOL. It will be a great adventure & if it breaks down & can't be fixed, so what. Fly home & then call me.
I drive 1000 miles per day lots of days & I hate air conditioning, so mine stays off.
ENJOY THE TRIP!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #50
Kahuna

Can a stock Model A maintain a 45 mph average for 13 hours on end? ( To get 600 miles in a day). What about stops? Potty, food, etc.
I would do it in a heartbeat even at my age, but not in the timeline mentioned.
I really hope you make it, sounds like a lot of fun making great memories
Best of luck
Jim
Old 08-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #51
Ron Lachniet

With overdrive 45 turns into 55 and if the car is in good condition and set up for touring that doesn't sound like a problem for guys your age. It sounds like a great trip and time will really go fast with all the attention you will get from other drivers. The worst that can happen is that you break down and have to rent a car to get home and have it shipped the rest of the way. We took our model a on a 2500 mile trip in June and although we spread it out over two weeks I am sure we could have traveled it in a short timeframe if we had to. I think you are going to have a great time.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #52
RUNNERBUN

There is a very very fine line between being adventurous and being crazy. If you succeed you would have been adventurous, if you fail you have been crazy. Sometimes you have to be a bit crazy to be adventurous.
Regardless how it turns out, it will be a memorable journey.
The distance is not an issue for a well maintained Model A but it is not a journey I would contemplate under your time constraints.
I genuinely wish you all the best in your adventure. Good luck and have fun.

Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all.

Last edited by RUNNERBUN; 08-08-2015 at 07:09 PM.
RUNNERBUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #53
31Abone

I-40 Arizona is a piece of crap of a highway, not even safe in semi truck..good luck think you will learn a lot.
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:25 PM   #54
ian Simpson

As a younger man, I travelled across Canada from Edmonton to Toronto and/or Montreal five times in one year. Every trip except the last from Toronto via Calgary was in an 850cc Austin Mini with a top speed of 70mph with the wind. I was always easily able to average 800 miles per day doing all the driving myself. The last trip was in a Lotus Europa when I left Toronto at noon one Wednesday in March 1969 and was at a party in Calgary by 6pm on Friday.

My very last trip of this sort was in the fall of 1970 when my new wife and I drove the Lotus to New York on a business trip. Eastbound it was relatively uneventful except for a collapsed rear wheel bearing, however going westbound back home was different. My wife had needed dental surgery in New York that almost bankrupted us. After an overnight stop in Buffalo with friends we proceeded non-stop to Edmonton at an average speed close to 70mph. We lived on coffee and chocolate bars, stopping for gas and bathroom breaks only. One memory is waking in the passenger seat to discover my wife driving at around 110mph because: ' I am going home".

But I was only in my twenties. Would I do it again? In a heart beat. Would I do it in A Model A? Yes please.

All the best in your venture. Please let us know how it works out.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:01 AM   #55
Mac_4

Sounds like it'll be fun. However it turns out. I'm surprised they're aren't more guys out there wishing you luck and offering to "shake your hand" on your journey.
I would, but I live in the UK.
A road trip for me is around 200 miles. Anymore and I'll fall into the sea! Good luck guys. Hope it pans out.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Mac_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #56
harleytoprock

You have 4 things working against you. The time constraints, the southern temps, an unknown car, and it's 85 years old. I'm all for adventure but a more intelligent plan would be; have the car shipped home, check it good, get familiar with it and plan a trip that comfortably fits the time available and with cooler weather. But best of luck! and let us know you guys made out.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #57
Benson

Is the OD a BorgWarner?

If so you might want to read Tom Endy's article ... these are strange birds, Like disengage OD before parking head first against a wall or you will not be able to backup ... Do not try to drive in reverse with OD engaged (things will break) ... things like that.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #58
Benson

My friend Paul Garrigan drove many miles alone with old cars. A 66 Ranchero 500,000 miles and a 34 V8 roadster about 200,000 as I remember.

He carried many spare parts ... carb, distributor, bearings etc. He always told me that " if you have a spare ... that part will not fail" "It is the spare part that you don't have that will fail." Murphy's law.

For some reason he carried two distributors for the 34 V8 maybe that says something about that part!

I can think of two times where his idea did not work.

1. When he hit a deer or a moose back East somewhere at 75 with the Ranchero ... He did not have a spare radiator under the seat!

2. Another time the Columbia broke on the 34 ... he nursed it for 200 or 300 miles driving as fast as it would go on the shoulder, until it would not go any further.

Vern Holmes came with his trailer.

Last edited by Benson; 08-09-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #59
Benson

Also if the car has a glass sediment bowl be sure to take couple of spare CORK gaskets.

The Neoprene ones turn to mush in the ethanol and you can not reinstall them on the side of the road.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #60
Russell in Tulsa

Planned for oil changes along the way? I stopped at a walmart once and they wouldn't change the oil as the A had no filter. If it has a touring engine, maybe only one oil change, if not, how many? Would need to think about that as may be difficult to find oil recycle places along the way if you change the oil your self.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #61
Ron Lachniet

Smile Re: Coast to coast

On our trip we went to Walmart and bought a cheap plastic pan and a gallon of oil. We changed the oil in the parking lot and they took the old oil to recycle. they also took the used pan off our hands and within a half hour we were on our way.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:59 PM   #62
hale1776

Buy one of those plastic (crap) six blade fans and a spare fan belt and bring them with you, change whatever is on it in Florida. when you get a flat, switch to spare, that night at hotel put flat back on car and change tubes, its easier to do on the car than in a motel room floor, you will need a tire iron preferably two. Normal timing for a Model A is one thing....you will need to advance it... lever up is advanced lever down is real advanced basically tune it for 55 miles an hour something you would normally never do.
hale1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #63
modelAtony

Quote:

P.S Just noticed your post further down, [ car does have overdrive] My 31 Tudor has Mitchell inserted engine 65 hp dynoed. 3:27 rear. If the car ya'll plan on driving is very road worthy, YES sounds like a great trip. 600 miles will make you think about running around 450 after about the 3rd day. When I travel interstate I run about 63-64 mph, rpm 1800 at 60 mph. driving 430 miles a day I do this very easy, counting fuel stops that's gas up and be gone in 15 minutes and 1 fuel stop with meal 30 minutes I cover the 430 miles in 8 hrs flat. Begin trip 8am and at my destination 4 pm . get in motel before city traffic kills you, so you could travel the 600 miles per day but after 3rd day you begin to ddrrraaaggg down and get tired and humm drum. I think ya'll will have a great trip. IF THE CAR IS VERY ROAD WORTHY AND UP FOR THE TRIP. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #64
John Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell in Tulsa View Post
Planned for oil changes along the way? I stopped at a walmart once and they wouldn't change the oil as the A had no filter. If it has a touring engine, maybe only one oil change, if not, how many? Would need to think about that as may be difficult to find oil recycle places along the way if you change the oil your self.
At the Marquette MI National, Walmart changed the oil just fine. I bought the oil, paid a small fee and drove the car into the bay. Even loaned the Tech my Barcalo service wrench when he asked what the size of the drain plug was. I know we had at least 5 cars change oil there. He seemed to really enjoy doing it of course they weren't busy at the time. Sounds like you found one that didn't want to bother because they might have been busy. Talk to them first and explain what you want. Most places are receptive when they get over the shock of the old car.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #65
mshmodela

Have the best of both worlds, trailer it and when the urge hits, take it off and drive it a bit on your way in the nicer areas of your trip. A win win!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #66
Henry1953

I live in Laurel, MS, about 25 miles off your route or maybe less if you take a slight detour. I would be glad to meet you and lend a hand if need be. PM me and I will give you my cell number. I could also help with an oil change or whatever at my house.
Henry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #67
George Miller

Back in 1996 4 of us went to Texas from NC to get a 56 Chev like my first new car. We left on thursday after work. We drove the 56 back no problem with it. But our 1995 car had a fuel pump problem. Fixed that with tin foil around a fuse. We were back Sunday night. I never got to drive the 56, because my Son and my good friend keep driving it. But I still have the car, and hope to give it to my Grandson when the time comes.

It was a drive of a Life time, I glade we got to go.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #68
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hale1776 View Post
Buy one of those plastic (crap) six blade fans and a spare fan belt and bring them with you, change whatever is on it in Florida. when you get a flat, switch to spare, that night at hotel put flat back on car and change tubes, its easier to do on the car than in a motel room floor, you will need a tire iron preferably two. Normal timing for a Model A is one thing....you will need to advance it... lever up is advanced lever down is real advanced basically tune it for 55 miles an hour something you would normally never do.

I also like this idea as I have found a number of the 1930s four blade (riveted) fans and the 80's repro four blade fans (the ones where 4 bolts hold the blades on-there is a two blade version of this also) that are out of balance and shake the car like it was going to come apart at around 50 -55.

This noise is the kind of thing that will wear you down rapidly on long trips.

Put plastic fan on and it is very smooth now.
I don't really like the looks but not having the vibrations is a God send!
Old 08-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #69
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Also if the car has a glass sediment bowl be sure to take couple of spare CORK gaskets.

The Neoprene ones turn to mush in the ethanol and you can not reinstall them on the side of the road.
A spare glass wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Back in 69 I was driving my 50 Studebaker from El Paso to Cloudcroft, NM and in the middle of nowhere the glass bowl suddenly cracked. I pulled over as soon as I smelled gas, and saw what had happened. I looked around and found a plastic bread bag on the side of the road. I lined the inside of the glass bowl with it, and that got me to Alamogordo, where I was able to buy a new glass.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #70
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Back in 69 I was driving my 50 Studebaker from El Paso to Cloudcroft, NM and in the middle of nowhere the glass bowl suddenly cracked. I pulled over as soon as I smelled gas, and saw what had happened. I looked around and found a plastic bread bag on the side of the road. I lined the inside of the glass bowl with it, and that got me to Alamogordo, where I was able to buy a new glass.
MacGyver at work!
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 08-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #71
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry1953 View Post
I live in Laurel, MS, about 25 miles off your route or maybe less if you take a slight detour. I would be glad to meet you and lend a hand if need be. PM me and I will give you my cell number. I could also help with an oil change or whatever at my house.
You are indeed a very kind and generous person! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #72
marc hildebrant

Quote:
Tom,

Going Skiing ? I've been to Cloudcroft and it's real nice.

Marc
Old 08-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #73
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
Tom,

Going Skiing ? I've been to Cloudcroft and it's real nice.

Marc
No, it was a beautiful place to go camping on the weekends to get away from base.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #74
ian Simpson

I found this thread an example of how old and risk averse the average Model A owner is. I am 71 years young and would love to take on a trip similar to that PS and his buddy are planning if only my arthritis would allow.

Some time back I posted that I planned to get a speeding ticket in my 28 Tudor. I could not believe the nay sayers on this forum. (As an update, all I get when speeding past the local RCMP is a wave of encouragement, very disheartening.)

Lighten up everyone, they are cars to be used hard and enjoyed. Unless you have a major upset, they are cheap and easy to fix. Use, abuse and enjoy them while you still can.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #75
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
I found this thread an example of how old and risk averse the average Model A owner is. I am 71 years young and would love to take on a trip similar to that PS and his buddy are planning if only my arthritis would allow.

Some time back I posted that I planned to get a speeding ticket in my 28 Tudor. I could not believe the nay sayers on this forum. (As an update, all I get when speeding past the local RCMP is a wave of encouragement, very disheartening.)

Lighten up everyone, they are cars to be used hard and enjoyed. Unless you have a major upset, they are cheap and easy to fix. Use, abuse and enjoy them while you still can.
It's just the time constrains that have most of us concerned, not the trip itself.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #76
700rpm

Quote:
... lever up is advanced lever down is real advanced basically tune it for 55 miles an hour something you would normally never do.
Lever up is retarded. Lever down a little more than half way is a good stop-and-go traffic range. Lever all the way down is fully advanced and good for highway cruising.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:33 PM   #77
hale1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Lever up is retarded. Lever down a little more than half way is a good stop-and-go traffic range. Lever all the way down is fully advanced and good for highway cruising.
I know that, what I was recommending was timing it for the highway, pull off highway, pop cap, unlock screw, turn cam a wee bit....get back in drive, repeat till she runs great at whatever your cruise speed is. Not recommended for everyday driving and needs to be retarded when they reach CA.
hale1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:57 PM   #78
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Quote:
I know that, what I was recommending was timing it for the highway, pull off highway, pop cap, unlock screw, turn cam a wee bit....get back in drive, repeat till she runs great at whatever your cruise speed is. Not recommended for everyday driving and needs to be retarded when they reach CA.
For cruising speed I get up to speed and then adjust the lever down paying attention to the rpm of the motor. When the rpm's no longer rise as the lever is lowered that is the optimum timing for that speed. Too much or too little can cause problems like, overheating, pinging, and early failure of babbit.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #79
Kahuna

OK,
When is the trip starting?
I want to follow along
Jim
Old 08-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #80
31Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
I think very view of us are not saying not to do it, but the time constraint will make or break the trip by putting so much pressure on the clock instead of being able to just enjoy your Model A journey.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #81
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
OK,
When is the trip starting?
I want to follow along
Jim
X2...this is interesting on a number of levels ! How much tough use can a stock Model A (in superb condition) absorb and still keep going
Old 08-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #82
Mike V. Florida

I too look forward to hearing about how it goes.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:21 AM   #83
Marshall57

When I was young we did this kind of hang it all out stuff all the time. Carry cash, you will have options. Get a Mafca Roster and a triple A card. It is going to be a head knocker and something to tell folks about for years. Your worries are getting killed in the processes. Do whatever it takes to alert drivers coming up from behind. Just remember that you Wanted to be there and it will go down easier. I will check your route again, but being up in Elko Nevada, I doubt I'm on the way. Understand your odds of making it without a hitch is low, so bring enough stuff to MacGyver your way out of some of the smaller problems. People on the way may be the key, so bring a computer and report your progress. Good luck and hope to hear how it is going.
Marshall57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:54 AM   #84
40 Deluxe

In the model A's youth and middle age, cross country travel with even a high mileage A was not a problem because every gas station and small town garage had all the parts you were likely to need. Belts, hoses, points, condensers, plugs, coils, batteries, generator and starter parts, tires, tubes, brakes, and the list goes on.
Plus, there were no interstates so all the highways went right through the middle of every city and town. Now, not so much! So you have to plan ahead, and carry your own spares.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #85
P.S.

Thank you for your input.

If I were in my 50's or older, I probably wouldn't do this. However, I'm at least 10-20 years away from playing "old guy", so our circumstances may be very different.

I am shipping a bunch of stuff over to take along on the trip. We will have common spare parts and tools. I will certainly bring along the directory and we will have cell phones on two separate large carriers.

Considering the response here, I probably won't blog the trip. We do plan to take photos along the way, so I might share some if they look interesting enough. The guys that PM'ed me, I will be in touch if we come by your town.

Thank you again.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #86
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i was hoping that you would blog the trip.. dang it
i wish you the best of luck and be safe
Old 08-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #87
Dave in MN

I hope you have a successful trip. I live in Minnesota and bought a "restored " car in Las Vegas 15 years ago. I had toyed with driving the Phaeton leisurely back to Minnesota, thinking it a great adventure. In the end, I trailered it back. After getting it home, I drove it (5 miles to town) to fill the tank and scored the #4 cylinder after only 4 miles on the road. The water jacket was plugged with scale around the back side of #4. I would have been in deep trouble if I had tried to drive it from Las Vegas to Minnesota.
Since then, I have put over 80,000 miles on this car but have personally gone through the entire drive train, including steering, brakes, new touring engine, wiring, lighting and body. Now I know and trust what I have and would not think twice of starting out across country on a road trip like you plan.
My wife and I did complete a 9200 mile cross country trip in 2013. I did all the driving and found that 300 miles was about my comfort limit each day. I hope the planned 600 miles a day won't do the two of you in.
Again, I hope you have a good trip. Please let us know how the adventure goes.
Good Day!

Added comment: Go for it! Some of the best memories I have of my various road trips is what went wrong and how we overcame the problems. It will be one hell of a story to tell and you are right, you have to be there for your good friend!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 08-14-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #88
marc hildebrant

P.S.

You said "If I were in my 50's or older, I probably wouldn't do this. However, I'm at least 10-20 years away from playing "old guy", so our circumstances may be very different."

Since when is old age a problem ? In many cultures, the old people are respected and their years of experience count for something.

Many old people live active, exciting lives.

Marc
Old 08-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #89
jeep44

I'm surprised no one had made mention of this coast-to-coast speed run from just a year or two ago in a Model A:

http://www.vintageadventurer.com.au/...lenge-america/
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #90
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
I'm surprised no one had made mention of this coast-to-coast speed run from just a year or two ago in a Model A:

http://www.vintageadventurer.com.au/...lenge-america/
Don't think they ever finished the trip. Seems like they broke the crank in Texas someplace.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 08-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #91
jeep44

They made the trip a second time, and finished.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #92
P.S.

UPDATE

People keep asking, so here is my final "public" comment on this trip.

Got home late last night. Not one problem with the car. About all we did was generate a lot of dirty motor oil. Very smooth trip. It poured rain through most of Florida and south Texas.

Memo to those we met in Alabama- You were the nicest people we met the whole trip. I could easily see moving there.

Memo to those we met in Mississippi- You too!

For the Model A that was on the trailer in the panhandle of Florida- Drive it next time!! Ha ha.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #93
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i told you that you would be fine
Old 09-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #94
hardtimes

Quote:
UPDATE

Got home late last night. Not one problem with the car. About all we did was generate a lot of dirty motor oil. Very smooth trip. It poured rain through most of Florida and south Texas.

Memo to those we met in Alabama- You were the nicest people we met the whole trip. I could easily see moving there.

For the Model A that was on the trailer in the panhandle of Florida- Drive it next time!! Ha ha.
CONGRATULATIONS , on your successful 'adventure' !
How many miles total, if you know, and how many miles driven per day at what average speed ?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #95
Fred K-OR

Quote:
UPDATE

Great to hear you made it OK. Now get back to work!!!
Old 09-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #96
burner31

Congratulations, that is quite a feat.
But...
You drove a Model A clear across the Country, and I'm thinking you took at least one or two pictures of it during your trip.
How about of picture of the marvelous machine.
I for one would love to see it.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #97
700rpm

I got a couple notes from them during the journey. They were making over 600 miles per day. Gotta be younger than me to do that!

Old 09-12-2015, 10:40 PM   #98
Tom Wesenberg

I found the same thing as you in Alabama, when I spent 6 months there during military service. I met some really mice people and liked it there. I requested to stay there, but was sent to El Paso.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #99
blgitn

I'd like to read all about it and see some pictures; if you don't want to put them up here, how about posting a link?

Quote:
UPDATE

blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:15 AM   #100
burner31

Quote:
I found the same thing as you in Alabama, when I spent 6 months there during military service. I met some really mice people and liked it there. I requested to stay there, but was sent to El Paso.
I've always wondered where all the mice people live
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (10).jpg (8.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg images (28).jpg (9.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg images (29).jpg (10.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #101
burner31

I heard tell that mice only drive...
Ford Model Cheese'
Old 09-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #102
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
I heard tell that mice only drive...
Ford Model Cheese'
"Not a creature was steering." Thanks for the laugh!

Last edited by 700rpm; 09-13-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #103
Bill's Auto Works

Very glad to hear you made it safely!! I'll bet you are glad you didn't listen to those downers that are too afraid to make a trip like this.

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #104
ian Simpson

Quote:
UPDATE

Congratulations. I am so jealous that I could not make the trip.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:28 AM   #105
Slotblog

Heck, I did 2,800 miles last year bringing home a car I bought sight unseen. What's the big deal? LOL!

What I as most worried about was an engine bearing going out. That would have put me on the trailer. Anything else, I was going to try to repair.

All that being said, I would have gladly accompanied you on this trip.