Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #41
daveymc29

Default Re: Coast to coast

I drove from Danville CA to San Diego area, (Chula Vista) in one day in my roadster that I knew all about. It took me 16 hours and wore me out. That was in the spring with the temperature in the 50's to mid 60's on the route I took. Mostly 101. I rested two days and returned home, also in one day. About 17 hours and I'll never drive that far again in one day in an A. Took me two weeks to get over it. I saw a dying brother-in-law or wouldn't have attempted it. For him it was okay, but for me, tough. A week straight, no thanks. Ship it.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:22 PM   #42
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

While this sounds like a dream trip, unless you are flexible with your time, Murphy is waiting to bite you in the ass.

You two are planning a trip in an unknown car, following an unfamiliar route, with a specific time restraints. What could go wrong? At best it works, at worst you leave a dead car and your soon to be ex-friend behind as you fly out to your business.

I wish you luck!! Plan your route, go to MAFCA and MARC find the clubs along the route. Contact them to let them know of your plans so if something happens they will be aware and ready.

I have this from Bob Bidonde;
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Prepared For Touring.pdf (22.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 08-08-2015, 12:25 AM   #43
Kahuna

I hope you guys have a great trip, but I also would not do it in that time frame.
My 32 Tudor (flathead powered) will cruise all day at 70, or more mph, and I've driven it more than 400 miles in one day. To me, 600 is not possible, at least for me.
And then to do it over and over a 5 day period? No.
I must be a weenie.
Good luck
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:20 AM   #44
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
A friend just picked up a superb sedan that is in Florida and recruited me to help him drive it back to California in September. I can't be away from my business for too long, so we plan to do about 600 miles each day.

Plan is to take the southern route. We have hotels and gas stops mapped. Hope to see a few sights, but it will mostly be all business. Seeing another Model A or two along the way would be cool if any of you guys happen to be along our route. Will update as things unfold..
Hey P.S.,
I'm in your mindset and corner ...all the way, and wish that I were young enough to do what you intend to do...or at least ATTEMPT it, eh !

You say 'superb sedan', and it had better be nothing less to push it 600 miles day after day. When young, I drove across the USA to East Coast and back to Ca, maybe 6 times. Sometimes in not so great a vehicle...but none of Model A vintage. I remember that we tried to maintain 550 to 600 mi a day pace, and I was one unhappy motorist at that rate, for sure !
And, I had unexpected breakdowns from equipment failure and overheating problems, as most parts of this land are very hot at this time of year. You say that no one will stop your friend and I'm keeping good thoughts that that is so ! However, if I were a betting man, I'd bet that you will become acquainted with MURPHY and that he will try his best to discourage you and friend. Yeah, I was an athlete also, but sitting for many/many hours in a cramped model a will test you physical and mental conditioning. I love your friends adventurous spirit, but have seen the same spirit be the downfall of some. Here's hoping that you have taken into consideration all safety precautions/preparations and have contingency plans. I hope that you guys fair well, however even it you two get thru in good condition, I do not see how that Model A will fair so well.
BTW...I will second the offer made by ZZ and with him will treat you both to some good food/drink, should you decide to stop here. PM if interested,eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:37 AM   #45
Synchro909

You're taking on a lot. Good luck with it all and if you happen by my place, feel free to drop in or get a new navigtor
Old 08-08-2015, 02:09 AM   #46
40 Deluxe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
P.S., Sounds like you guys have done your homework and know what can be expected. Go for it! Will you be coming through Flagstaff, AZ by any chance? We're at 7,000 feet and it's cool here! However, you need to use I-40, and it has a lot of semi traffic!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:53 AM   #47
ppower

Contrary to most of the posts above, I would grasp the opportunity. As I told my son and his friends when they drove to Mongolia, when everything goes wrong just think "this is the part I will talk about when we get home".
ppower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #48
Stretch Cab

Ppower you are so right about what will eventually become the best part of the trip. Most of us are scared of the what if's of adventure. I just hope the trip is reported here with lots of pictures and NO I told you so.........
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #49
Bill's Auto Works

I say DO IT! & I am a transporter. I should be saying hire me to do it LOL. It will be a great adventure & if it breaks down & can't be fixed, so what. Fly home & then call me.
I drive 1000 miles per day lots of days & I hate air conditioning, so mine stays off.
ENJOY THE TRIP!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #50
Kahuna

Can a stock Model A maintain a 45 mph average for 13 hours on end? ( To get 600 miles in a day). What about stops? Potty, food, etc.
I would do it in a heartbeat even at my age, but not in the timeline mentioned.
I really hope you make it, sounds like a lot of fun making great memories
Best of luck
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #51
Ron Lachniet

With overdrive 45 turns into 55 and if the car is in good condition and set up for touring that doesn't sound like a problem for guys your age. It sounds like a great trip and time will really go fast with all the attention you will get from other drivers. The worst that can happen is that you break down and have to rent a car to get home and have it shipped the rest of the way. We took our model a on a 2500 mile trip in June and although we spread it out over two weeks I am sure we could have traveled it in a short timeframe if we had to. I think you are going to have a great time.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #52
RUNNERBUN

There is a very very fine line between being adventurous and being crazy. If you succeed you would have been adventurous, if you fail you have been crazy. Sometimes you have to be a bit crazy to be adventurous.
Regardless how it turns out, it will be a memorable journey.
The distance is not an issue for a well maintained Model A but it is not a journey I would contemplate under your time constraints.
I genuinely wish you all the best in your adventure. Good luck and have fun.

Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all.

Last edited by RUNNERBUN; 08-08-2015 at 07:09 PM.
RUNNERBUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #53
31Abone

I-40 Arizona is a piece of crap of a highway, not even safe in semi truck..good luck think you will learn a lot.
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:25 PM   #54
ian Simpson

As a younger man, I travelled across Canada from Edmonton to Toronto and/or Montreal five times in one year. Every trip except the last from Toronto via Calgary was in an 850cc Austin Mini with a top speed of 70mph with the wind. I was always easily able to average 800 miles per day doing all the driving myself. The last trip was in a Lotus Europa when I left Toronto at noon one Wednesday in March 1969 and was at a party in Calgary by 6pm on Friday.

My very last trip of this sort was in the fall of 1970 when my new wife and I drove the Lotus to New York on a business trip. Eastbound it was relatively uneventful except for a collapsed rear wheel bearing, however going westbound back home was different. My wife had needed dental surgery in New York that almost bankrupted us. After an overnight stop in Buffalo with friends we proceeded non-stop to Edmonton at an average speed close to 70mph. We lived on coffee and chocolate bars, stopping for gas and bathroom breaks only. One memory is waking in the passenger seat to discover my wife driving at around 110mph because: ' I am going home".

But I was only in my twenties. Would I do it again? In a heart beat. Would I do it in A Model A? Yes please.

All the best in your venture. Please let us know how it works out.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:01 AM   #55
Mac_4

Sounds like it'll be fun. However it turns out. I'm surprised they're aren't more guys out there wishing you luck and offering to "shake your hand" on your journey.
I would, but I live in the UK.
A road trip for me is around 200 miles. Anymore and I'll fall into the sea! Good luck guys. Hope it pans out.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Mac_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #56
harleytoprock

You have 4 things working against you. The time constraints, the southern temps, an unknown car, and it's 85 years old. I'm all for adventure but a more intelligent plan would be; have the car shipped home, check it good, get familiar with it and plan a trip that comfortably fits the time available and with cooler weather. But best of luck! and let us know you guys made out.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #57
Benson

Is the OD a BorgWarner?

If so you might want to read Tom Endy's article ... these are strange birds, Like disengage OD before parking head first against a wall or you will not be able to backup ... Do not try to drive in reverse with OD engaged (things will break) ... things like that.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #58
Benson

My friend Paul Garrigan drove many miles alone with old cars. A 66 Ranchero 500,000 miles and a 34 V8 roadster about 200,000 as I remember.

He carried many spare parts ... carb, distributor, bearings etc. He always told me that " if you have a spare ... that part will not fail" "It is the spare part that you don't have that will fail." Murphy's law.

For some reason he carried two distributors for the 34 V8 maybe that says something about that part!

I can think of two times where his idea did not work.

1. When he hit a deer or a moose back East somewhere at 75 with the Ranchero ... He did not have a spare radiator under the seat!

2. Another time the Columbia broke on the 34 ... he nursed it for 200 or 300 miles driving as fast as it would go on the shoulder, until it would not go any further.

Vern Holmes came with his trailer.

Last edited by Benson; 08-09-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #59
Benson

Also if the car has a glass sediment bowl be sure to take couple of spare CORK gaskets.

The Neoprene ones turn to mush in the ethanol and you can not reinstall them on the side of the road.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #60
Russell in Tulsa

Planned for oil changes along the way? I stopped at a walmart once and they wouldn't change the oil as the A had no filter. If it has a touring engine, maybe only one oil change, if not, how many? Would need to think about that as may be difficult to find oil recycle places along the way if you change the oil your self.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote