Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #21
George Miller

Default Re: Coast to coast

Sounds like a adventure of a life time. When we go to northern Mich we drive strait through in a modern car. About 950 miles at about 18 hours. But that is only one day. In a modern car you will average about 50 miles per hour on good roads.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #22
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
He is the one who wants to be home in 5 days. I'm actually good until the following Monday, which is 7 days from departure. But not a day more.

Considering the adventure planned, I just had to be a part of it.

Worst case if we break down, we have to arrange shipping the car and fly home. Best case, we just drive straight home with no hiccups. I suspect the result will be somewhere between those two.
Also if you have the time, you could get to the next town where you could rent a pull vehicle with trailer and hurry home. But remember that cell phone service is not 100% covered all over. Good luck and have fun.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #23
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:

Considering the adventure planned, I just had to be a part of it.

The only sad part is Pauly....there is NO Adventure, you are doing highway driving which in a model a is the same as sleeping and rushing a trip to drive 15-16 hours a day....the first day fine...the second, and more is realllllllll!!! hard, and a hell of a lot harder then you think, when you wake up the 2nd day you will see what we all mean about not doing it the way you guys want to.. Safety counts of a bit more than getting home!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #24
Brian T

When I purchased my Double A it was in Wisconsin, my intentions were to go get it and trailer it back, I totaled up fuel cost, lodging, food, etc, which was considerably more than having it transported.
In addition to the savings, it eliminated any adverse weather conditions, or other problems and was insured against loss all the way.
All the best with your plans, Regards Brian.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #25
31Tudor

I think it will be difficult to drive/ maintain 50 miles an hour for 12 hours a day. You will certainly hit some windy days and in a Model A you will feel the wind gust like a kite. A good strong head wind will really slow you down. I also think that would be a fun journey, but racing against the clock will make for an un-enjoyable trip
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #26
Bob C

It's one thing to drive those hours in an modern air conditioned car and
quite another in a Model A.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #27
marc hildebrant

For my daily driving on trips, I average about 750 miles in a modern car. This is driving at the posted speed limit.

If you posted the note to ask for opinions, then my opinion is that you are very foolish to put 600 miles a day on a car that you do not know the condition of.

If you posted the note to just let the group know about your trip, then please respond with how the trip went.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #28
40 Deluxe

P.S., how about doing a trial run? The 2 of you hop in your coupe and head out on I5 or I80 for 300 miles and then head back on secondary 2 lane roads through the little towns and the country side. See which you like better and if 600 miles a day is really doable.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

Being young is a big advantage.
When I was 21 I drove my 1950 Studebaker 1500 miles home on leave from El Paso to Minneapolis in 24 hours. It was a foolish thing to do and I'd never do it again. Running against the clock makes the trip grueling rather than fun, but with two in one car to share the driving, it still could come off a quite an adventure. I wouldn't push the car past 45 unless you have overdrive. Looking forward to some pictures and reports.

Tie some bright colored streamers to the rear of the car. It might help to be noticed and not get rear ended.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #30
Synchro909

If the new Model A has an overdrive, you will make better time but 600 miles in a day for one day is one thing, repeating it over and over is entirely another. I'd find some other way. There's no point flogging yourself and the car. You will end up a wreck and might as well not be at work for the first day or two after you get back anyway.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #31
P.S.

Thanks guys.

Might be some confusion here.

No matter what, he is making the trip (with or without me). His mind is made up, and neither I nor anyone else can change his mind. With that being said, he asked me to come along since I might be helpful. Being a young, athletic, adventurous guy, I said "let me check with the wife!" Wife thought it would be the opportunity of a lifetime, and so do I.

I posted here to see how many barners might be positioned along the route and maybe shake a hand or two.

Yes, we are nuts. Yes, the car has overdrive. Yes, we know there is an element of danger. However, I'm 25 to 30 (or more) years away from retirement, and I sure don't want to wait that long to do stupid things like this with my buddies.

A few of you guys have already chimed in with similar trips you made when you were younger. You lived though it, and you have some good stories to tell. I don't have any of those kinds of stories yet, I need to make some.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #32
700rpm

I would do a similar trip if I was your age. In fact, I did, several times. But never on a freeway. Backroads would be less stressful, but I always try to drive 45 or less, which isn't your plan. Also, it isn't the trip of a lifetime. If you are like most Model A people, it is the first of many amazing trips. So I say go for it, have a plan B, and please keep us posted as you make the journey.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 08-07-2015 at 06:48 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #33
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover

BE SMART TRAILER IT YOU ARE HEADING FOR A TRAIN WRECK> Don in Indiana
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #34
Fred K-OR

P.S. here is a post made by another fellow that drove across country. May be a few ideas for you here.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152289
Old 08-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #35
P.S.

Don- Yes, you are most likely correct. I acknowledge that.

Fred- I did follow Greg's trip blog and thread while he was preparing, and then while making that trip. His adventure was fascinating. Our trip will only be a hundred miles more than his. In addition, we have some advantages over Greg's trip- overdrive and a much fresher car.

Yes, it would cost less to ship the car, we discussed that several times. But, that knucklehead is dead set on driving it back home, and what kind of friend would I be to let him fail alone? Everyone knows a good fail need a photographer.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #36
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana A. Lover View Post
BE SMART TRAILER IT YOU ARE HEADING FOR A TRAIN WRECK> Don in Indiana
Nah..........they won't run any crossing gates and they'll look both ways at all the R/R tracks.

I would look forward to any trip I could hook up with.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #37
zzlegend

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Might be some confusion here.

No matter what, he is making the trip (with or without me). His mind is made up, and neither I nor anyone else can change his mind. With that being said, he asked me to come along since I might be helpful. Being a young, athletic, adventurous guy, I said "let me check with the wife!" Wife thought it would be the opportunity of a lifetime, and so do I.

I posted here to see how many barners might be positioned along the route and maybe shake a hand or two.

Yes, we are nuts. Yes, the car has overdrive. Yes, we know there is an element of danger. However, I'm 25 to 30 (or more) years away from retirement, and I sure don't want to wait that long to do stupid things like this with my buddies.

A few of you guys have already chimed in with similar trips you made when you were younger. You lived though it, and you have some good stories to tell. I don't have any of those kinds of stories yet, I need to make some.
Well since no one answered your original question of possibly looking for you along the way and giving you a hand shake, I will say that I am already in Calif. but I would be in for buying you and your buddy lunch if you are any where near my area. You deserve it. Good luck on the trip.
Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #38
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Don- Yes, you are most likely correct. I acknowledge that.

Fred- I did follow Greg's trip blog and thread while he was preparing, and then while making that trip. His adventure was fascinating. Our trip will only be a hundred miles more than his. In addition, we have some advantages over Greg's trip- overdrive and a much fresher car.

Yes, it would cost less to ship the car, we discussed that several times. But, that knucklehead is dead set on driving it back home, and what kind of friend would I be to let him fail alone? Everyone knows a good fail need a photographer.
Well have fun and take along a MAFCA membership list so if you need, you could find some Model A guys along the way.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #39
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

PS,
Maybe i missed it, but do you have some pictures of your friends car?
Has it been a dependable tour car for the previous owner?
When i was in my early 30's, my wife and I and our 3 year old daughter took a 3600 mile trip from Long Beach, CA to Vancouver, Canada and back in a 1929 Tudor. We did have some problems, but had a great time and I'm glad we did it. We had the good fortune of doing it in 19 days.
It sounds like you have a hotter route to travel. I wish you well.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #40
kenparker

It sounds like the two of you have your minds made up and I can respect that, so I will not argue the trailering thing.

You posted route along the part of I-20 in east Texas runs within 1/4 mile of my house and shop. Just in case you need it you are welcome to use the shop and any tools necessary, but hope is you will not need them. You will need a meal though and if the schedule warrants the wife and I can take care of that. PM and I can give you my cell number. Ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote