Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
700rpm

Default Some battery information

I took a warranteed group 1 6v battery into my local battery shop for an exchange credit against a new one. I’ve been buying my Model A batteries from this shop for several years because 1) Ken always has one in stock. 2) His price is very fair. and 3) He’s very knowledgeable about auto electrics.

He asked me why there was water on the top of my exchange core. I told him I had spilled some while checking the water/acid level. I was taught in my youthful introduction to car care to make that part of service inspection. Ken said that wasn’t necessary, that I should never have to "top up" the water, but if for soome reason I did, he emphasized using distilled water. Otherwise, just put the new battery in and run with it till it expires.
He also said not to put a trickle charger on it during storage, because than can cause the water/acid to evaporate. He said a battery will sit for a long time without needing a charge if there is no draw on it.

This has changed my attitude toward battery care.
Just sharing for your information.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Some battery information

So-called "smart" trickle chargers will shut off the flow when the battery reaches full charge. That's the kind you'd want to leave attached for long-term storage.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
Big hammer

My battery gets tickled each time I start it and I don't shut it off until the amp meter is 0. Maybe once a year I'll check the fluid level. The only time I use a charger is if the battery will not turn over the motor. Go for a nice drive and Enjoy! Or work on it until it's broken
Old 04-26-2021, 11:57 AM   #4
Patrick L.

Your guy is right about a batteries storage ability with no draw. They will hold charge for a long time, but, as noted, without any draw and in cool temperatures.

To me though, battery fluid level should be checked and topped off with distilled water every now and again.

Trickle chargers and maintainers can be different animals. A maintainer should have the ability to cycle on and off. Some trickle chargers will keep charging constantly. I have a couple tricklers that will shut off but not turn back on.

If a battery of mine is going to remain connected and also has some sort of normal draw I will use a maintainer or a trickle charger attached to a timer for usually an hour each day.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:13 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

I would think your battery guy would tell you to ensure you had a good water level, at least enough to cover the plates. When a battery is charged, whether it be on a charger or in your car, it releases Oxygen and Hydrogen. Water = H20.

I was taught to check to water level before charging but to only add after charging, unless the plates are exposed before charging. Then add only enough to cover the plates. This is to prevent over filling. Use only distilled water.

A little off topic but a member of Ford Barn that I have not seen on here for awhile, Willie Krash, who owned a Starter/alternator/electrical repair shop, mentioned "Battery Oil" in a thread about battery tenders.

After much research I decided to try some "Battery Oil" in my Model A Battery. I have not had to add water to my battery in ~2 years and as an added bonus it eliminated any corrosion on my battery box or cables on the battery.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-26-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
jayvee34

[QUOTE

A little off topic but a member of Ford Barn that I have not seen on here for awhile, Willie Krash, who owned a Starter/alternator/electrical repair shop, mentioned "Battery Oil" in a thread about battery tenders.

After much research I decided to try some "Battery Oil" in my Model A Battery. I have not had to add water to my battery in ~2 years and as an added bonus it have eliminated any corrosion on my battery box or cables on the battery. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

"Battery Oil" What kind of oil is it? Sounds like something I would like to use.
Thanks,
John
jayvee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:48 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

Hi, John. Sounds crazy, eh? The oil floats on top of the electrolyte.

Here is the place I got it from and more info on how it works.
https://www.thermoil.com/battery_de-mister/
Old 04-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

More info from my research.

Pulled this off another forum:
Silverghost
Members
1,517 posts
Posted November 29, 2010 (edited)
Here is the scoop on "Battery Oil"

Edison & Others developed the Nickel/Iron storage battery in the 1880s !

Edison, Exide, Willard, and others built & sold them for automotive use.

Edison stated that this battery would last your lifetime !

He was promoting them for Early Electric auto use ~

The Nickel-Iron (NiFe) battery was considered a Life-Long Battery that could last 30-50 years or more!

It was not harmed by deep discharge or repeated cycling charges.

In many ways this battery was superior to the Lead/Acid storage battery we use today as it has a very long life; and could be restored by changing the electrolyte and cleaning the plates !

The battery was built with cells in a glass or ceramic jar with a lid that could be opened .

This was an aklaline battery that used a Potassium Hydroxide caustic soda & distilled water electrolyte with Nickel & Iron (NiFe) plates contained in a glass cell with a rubber top supporting the plates & covering the cells.. The cells were connected in series with brass wing nut & wire or copper ribbon strip jumper connections..

The cells were stacked in a wooden crate and hooked-up in series.

Each cell was .8 Volts with 1.2 Volts in later production variants.

Each of the cells could be refreshed or replaced.

Edison sold this battery to the Telephone , Telegraph, Railroads , and for early penny in the slot amusement listening tube phonograph use. You often find old Edison battery jars on eBay !

The Telephone & Telegraph companys had iron battery boxes on their poles with banks of the Edison Nickel/Iron battery in them .

The railroads had iron signal boxes which also contained banks of Edison batteries.

The "Battery Oil" was poured on top of the fresh electrolyte in each cell to prevent evaporation and gassing while charging on these utility poles.

The oil would float on top of the electrolyte to give a thick protective oil film.

This would help the battery gases to re-combine instead of gassing-off while sitting long term, or re-charging. It also prevented evaporation.

You often find empty Edison Battery Oil bottles of 3-4 oz near old railroad iron signal & switch boxes in the woods near the switch & signal boxes today.

The railroad workers would use the oil and then just toss the empty bottles in the woods along side the tracks.

Look for them near the old railroad signal boxes ! You can still find many today !

The railroads and telephone/telegraph COs still used this type of battery well into the 60s-70s in some rural areas in the USA !

Edison Electric Storage Battery Co . built them until 1972~

Exide built them until 1975 !

Folks also collect the bottles, battery jars, and batteries today ! They are not worth very much~

There are 4-5 styles of battery oil bottles used over the years.

I also understand farms used this Edison battery for farm & house lighting before general rural electrification. The battery banks were often connected to a wind mill "Aeromo" generator for re-charging.

The wind mill usually used a Ford or other auto type generator.

These electric set-ups were often sold thru the early Sears catalog ! The farmer's friend ~

Electric autos & very high-end & high priced gasoline autos often used the Nickel/Iron Edison , Exide, or Willard automotive battery. Many early electric autos Ie: Detroit Electric, Baker, and other auto builders often offered a Nickel/Iron battery bank as a higher price option; As it would last for decades, if not Life-Long!

Deep discharge did not harm this type of battery as it did severly harm a Lead-Acid battery and shortened it's useful ife. This deep-discharge ability made it perfect for early electric auto carriages !

High priced gasoline autos used them also.

A friend bought a Rolls_Royce Phantom I from the Ford museum a few years ago.

It had not run in fifty+ years or more.

The old Exide Nickel/Iron battery was still in the battery box on the left running board.

My friend got the car up and running with a new modern battery~

He then decided to try to refresh & restore the old (NiFe) Exide battery.

It consisted of a large crate style wooden box with many glass jar cells inside. Each with hard rubber jar lids. Each cell was connected in series to form 6 volts.

He dumped the old electrolyte, and cleaned the plates which were in very good shape.

He then added fresh electrolyte and charged the battery.

It worked !!

Today it is now installed in the Phantom's battery box and used to actually start and run this Phantom !

It still works fine after all these decades !

And yes~ He did pour a fresh bottle of Edison Battery Oil on top of each battery cell.

If you search hard enough you can still find un-opened Edison battery oil bottles with the famous Edison script autograph cast in the glass bottle on eBay !

TRUE STORY~~~~

Believe it~

Or Not !

Edited December 1, 2010 by Silverghost (see edit history)
Old 04-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Duplicate.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:25 PM   #10
700rpm

That is a fascinating piece of information, Y-B. Thanks for posting.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #11
woofa.express

[QUOTE=Y-Blockhead;2011123]More info from my research.

Pulled this off another forum:
Silverghost

The Nickel-Iron (NiFe) battery was considered a Life-Long Battery that could last 30-50 years or more!

That's an interesting article YB. Number 8 below.

I guess it was in the manufactures interest to sell more batteries so they became limited life. The same happened with light bulbs, I once read that it was the Phillips brand that convinced all light bulb manufactures to limit life.

I'm now about to convert my 6V ute to 12V. The 6V here in Australia are much more expensive, thus the reason for the conversion.

It's a shame that Nickel-Iron battery is no longer available. I wouldn't need to change it again until I reach 125 years old.

Good article, thankyou YB

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:17 PM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
That is a fascinating piece of information, Y-B. Thanks for posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Good article, thank you YB[/I][/SIZE]
Thank you. I think it was Eagle who originally posted the article on Ford Barn back in '18.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #13
jayvee34

Thanks a lot. I bookmarked the info so I can read and watch the video.
jayvee34 is offline   Reply With Quote