Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #421
Chris

Default Re: Truck based woody

He also got that 1/2 ton panel from me too. I wanted to build it, but it just didn't happen. I got it off a farm right near Eastern Washington University. I love the stars and stripes you can barley see painted on it. It had an old rotted wood door built on the back when I got it. I removed what was left and cleaned it all out. I pictured some hippies living in it haha!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #422
flatford8

I think paint looks great. What did you use?....... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #423
GB SISSON

That was a great fall, two years ago. I made 4 trips over the North Cascade hiway hauling jailbar trucks from Carter's place. Funny thing I called Chris about this collection he was selling and after a short phone visit we realized that his Dad's brother is married to my wife's younger sister. They live on Vashon Island near Seattle. The pass over the Cascades in that area is very steep and high with lots of wild dropoffs, many without guard rails. One year after these pics were taken I lost the duals off the '92 at 55 mph with a huge load of timbers on board. Lug nuts had backed off. So glad it wasn't on the pass. As for the paint it's krylon rattle cans. The green is their 'dual' (paint and primer in one) and the color is 'camp green' satin. The Yellow trim is called 'whipped apricot' satin. I feel it's pretty close to tacoma cream.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4647.jpg (92.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4651.jpg (95.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4655.jpg (80.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4660.jpg (93.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4656.jpg (84.5 KB, 79 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:06 AM   #424
Sid the Maineiac

Have truly enjoyed this build and hope you enjoy this vehicle to the max! Great job! Thank you for sharing!
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #425
GB SISSON

Thank you Sid. Sometimes I think I am far too 'wordy', bringing in stories about relatives and writing a paragraph when a sentence will do. I seriously live in the middle of nowhere and even when somebody DOES drop in, they certainly aren't lovers of vintage fords and flathead V8s. This site as well as FTE have added a great new dimension to my workaday life. Thanks all who have chimed in. GB
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 09-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #426
GB SISSON

So a couple of friends dropped in this afternoon to help stretch the epdm rubber roof. We used some contact cement in critical areas and I will trim the edges after work tomorrow and start trimming out with the aluminum J shaped drip rail. It went quite well and we had a few beers and christened the vehicle with a bottle of champagne...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie rubber roof day 002.jpg (65.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg woodie rubber roof day 009.jpg (65.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg woodie rubber roof day 010.jpg (66.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg woodie rubber roof day 014.jpg (76.6 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg woodie rubber roof day 015.jpg (78.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg woodie rubber roof day 028.jpg (52.9 KB, 138 views)
Old 09-25-2017, 12:25 AM   #427
Bill

Glad it went well. Many hands make light work in this case! Looks like the inmates are runnin' the joint.Was at Wavecrest in Ca. this weekend there were no jailbar woodies present..Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #428
GB SISSON

One of the guys came back the next day and we made some hand formed copper corners as there was no way the aluminum J metal would go around that compound corner. I sawed them out of heavy sheet stock in a sort of boomerang shape and Tim tapped them into shape with a dome headed hammer on a soft cedar block. They will be painted black. I still need to make and add the strip at the windshield and between the rear corners before final trimming of the rubber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie drip rail 069.jpg (58.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg woodie drip rail 077.jpg (59.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg woodie drip rail 123.jpg (43.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 09-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #429
Bill

Looks great from the East Coast! As far as finishing the strip at the rear and also above the windshield the quick simple and cheap fix is upholsterers "Hidem" It attaches with upholsterers tacks which disappear into the folds of the product. About 5/8" wide it is your friend. Get it in black of course! Tuck it underneath your copper corners and your raingutters in front for a professional look. Bob's yer uncle in less than an hour... Send pics for proof of installation.....Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #430
flatford8

Post #426 is awesome!!..... good friends, a few beers and a new truck that you were able and talented enough to build yourself.
You’re a rich man GB!!!...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #431
Chris

So awesome! I am so happy to see a truck I rescued from going to scrap is now this piece of art. The landowner died and his brothers were selling the "junk" off the land before calling scrappers. I bought that pickup and some other junk haha!
Old 10-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #432
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So awesome! I am so happy to see a truck I rescued from going to scrap is now this piece of art. The landowner died and his brothers were selling the "junk" off the land before calling scrappers. I bought that pickup and some other junk haha!
Thanks and with flatford's suggestion about using epdm rubber roofing we have a great top on this thing. As I stated previously, the Lebarron Bonney correct long grain vinyl is too narrow for my truck version so I would have needed two 10' lengths and a seam for about 500 bucks, but this 60 mil Firestone product in a 10 x 10' sheet was 97 bucks on amazon. I'll get a picture of the difficult rear corners today. For the front steel strap pictured I just picked up some oval head screws to countersink in this afternoon. Then I will bed it in black sikaflex on final install. And Bill, that sounds like the perfect material, but I had to go through the steel roof up front and I already had the stuff I needed. I tend to keep the momentum up while I've got it and don't like waiting for stuff in the mail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubber roof on 003.jpg (68.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg rubber roof on 011.jpg (61.5 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 10-01-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #433
Bored&Stroked

I just love this project! Also, as I tend to write/babble more than I should - I do appreciate your longer stories, the character you bring to them, etc.. It is what makes this thread a great one!

Keep after it . . .
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #434
Mtn Wudy

Lookin’ extra special good....!!!
Old 10-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #435
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Well done ,a lot of hard work there ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #436
jerseyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I just love this project! Also, as I tend to write/babble more than I should - I do appreciate your longer stories, the character you bring to them, etc.. It is what makes this thread a great one!

Keep after it . . .
B&S
B&S, well said! This is an inspiring thread, and an enjoyable read. Your wagon looks like it rolled off the assembly line.

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #437
GB SISSON

Once again we have been really busy at work this month. I have managed to get all four doors latched with my modified landcruiser fj 40 door latches. I fabricated some heavy duty striker plates and mortised them into the posts. I will be using '32-'34 pickup dovetails which arrived last week for added support and alignment, though everything works well as is. I also filled some holes in the front clip the easy way. There was a hole for a spotlight, so I installed one I had hanging from a nail on the shop wall. On the opposite cowl there were 2 holes for an antenna so I ordered one up and installed it. I latched the rear barn doors with a very nice '2 point slam latch'. Using any 5/16" square shaft handle it pulls both latch bolts with a twist and since the bolts have a 45 degree angle it can slam shut. It's all surface mount and looks 'commercial' in the desired truck based style. The seats pictured are temporary so I could do some fall cruising. I sort of picture a pair of old school bus driver's seats, up front. I think that's what my passenger seat might be, and a regular school bus bench seat for the back seat. You know the type, dark green with white piping. Ok, it's back down to the workshop.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tail spot and latches 110.jpg (89.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg woodie door latching done 047.jpg (64.7 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 10-23-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #438
RalphM

That interior is a work of art!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #439
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
That interior is a work of art!
Thanks Ralph. The 1/4" baltic birch plywood for interior door panels will be here on Wednesday. Obviously a lot of work and serious head scratching still ahead on windows, but I like a challenge. Kitchen cabinets are far too routine after 40 years of 'em!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #440
38bill

Love the warm glow of the interior wood!
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote