Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
Alaska Jim

Default vin #

Is there more than one place on a 29 model A frame that the Vin # is stamped ? I know about the one on the left side frame rail under the cowl, and I know about it being stamped into the original eng. and on the top of the original trans. do they have it stamped any where else on the frame? any information would be appreciated, Thanks, ---Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: vin #

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
Is there more than one place on a 29 model A frame that the Vin # is stamped ? I know about the one on the left side frame rail under the cowl, and I know about it being stamped into the original eng. and on the top of the original trans. do they have it stamped any where else on the frame? any information would be appreciated, Thanks, ---Jim
There is no other place than what you have said EXCEPT that Ford never stamped the "the top of the original Transmission"!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
Alaska Jim

Steve, thank you for your reply. I would have sworn that I read somewhere the # was stamped on the top of the transmission. my car is 50 miles away, and in storage ( even though it is apart ) for the winter, so I cannot go look. The #'s under the cowl are very faint and are hard to read, but they do match the title. I was just wondering if there was another place, that maybe a little better to read. Thank you---Jim
Old 02-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Jim,

I could be wrong on this but I think the engine number or VIN# were stamped on 1932 plus transmissons (or bell housings) but I could be all washed up on that thought.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Jim,

I could be wrong on this but I think the engine number or VIN# were stamped on 1932 plus transmissons (or bell housings) but I could be all washed up on that thought.

Pluck
Steve,

You are right. In addition to the frame stamps the '32 and up V8's were stamped on the transmission. The '32 through '34, 4 cylinder vehicles were stamped on the flywheel housings (not bell housings) in addition to the frame stamps. The one on the frame is visible (without removing anything) and that is what the DMV uses for '32 and up.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
1crosscut

I recently came across a 1931 coupe that had an additional serial number for the car stamped inside the frame rail on the passenger side by the brake shaft cross rod upside down. Not very common.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
BillCNC

I have a paper put out by the Nevada DMV that came with the paper work for my car. It has a few possible locations to look.

1) Left rail 42" from front.
2) (Roadster) Right side frame support cross member under radiator facing engine.
3) Inside left frame at rear spring hanger (rear corner of frame)
4) On top of middle cross member under floor boards

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Alaska Jim

Thanks everybody, now I have something to search for, next time I go to town.---Jim
Old 02-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #9
V4F

I have a place of manufacture on cross member just in front of seat .
Old 02-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
wingski

Jim, if you find any Robertson screws (round head with square indent instead of flat slot) in that car, it is probably Canadian made. This means no stamped frame number. If I would have known this, it would have saved me so much time and frustration.

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
Alaska Jim

Mike , Thanks for that information, that is something I did not know, my frame does have a # that matches the title. and has the regular style screws and bolts.---Jim
Old 02-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
Brad in Germany

If your car was assembled or made in France or Germany, then the engine number would also be stamped on the data-plate on the cowl.

Brad in Denmark
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #13
aermotor

Jim, I recommend that you get a letter of verification from a DMV vin inspector certifying that your frame number and engine number are the same. Some states will not accept the engine number as the vin number, so the possibility exists that the frame number will have to be exposed for licensing. The letter will also aid in the event that the engine is changed showing a different vin number.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #14
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
I recently came across a 1931 coupe that had an additional serial number for the car stamped inside the frame rail on the passenger side by the brake shaft cross rod upside down. Not very common.
I know for a fact that the previous owner of my '30 PU stamped the VIN (per the engine number) onto the frame cross member where it can be seen and read. This was dome because he didn't have a title for the truck which had been sitting for 50+ years. CA DMV saw the frame VIN and then issued a title .

So whats the number actually stamped on the left frame rail under the cab?
God, I wish I knew!

What Pluck said about the VIN location is gospel as far as I'm concerned...no one knows more about this stuff than Pluck.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Steve,

You are right. In addition to the frame stamps the '32 and up V8's were stamped on the transmission. The '32 through '34, 4 cylinder vehicles were stamped on the flywheel housings (not bell housings) in addition to the frame stamps. The one on the frame is visible (without removing anything) and that is what the DMV uses for '32 and up.

Charlie Stephens
I have an early B , before counterbalance and the transmission is stamped about a year later. Probably changed, who knows. However, I thought that was only a tranny serial? You’re saying it’s part of the vehicle serial?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
I have an early B , before counterbalance and the transmission is stamped about a year later. Probably changed, who knows. However, I thought that was only a tranny serial? You’re saying it’s part of the vehicle serial?
The Model B transmission was never serial numbered. The number was on the flywheel housing.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #17
Bob Johnson

Default picky picky

VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number. So VIN number or VIN # would be Vehicle Identification Number Number. OK maybe too picky.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:17 AM   #18
cpf240

Default Re: picky picky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnson View Post
VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number. So VIN number or VIN # would be Vehicle Identification Number Number. OK maybe too picky.

Bob
And what if I'm reading this while standing in line for the ATM machine?
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote