Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
u.cremer

Default Multi Disc Clutch

Hello. Ask a question in the round. I just replace the multi-disc clutch on my Ford, the slats or discs are used with a little fat in the teeth, or completely without fat? Here opinions differ. What do you say?

This was written with a translator, sorry.

Best regards, u.cremer
u.cremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
johnbuckley

Default Re: Multi Disc Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.cremer View Post
Hello. Ask a question in the round. I just replace the multi-disc clutch on my Ford, the slats or discs are used with a little fat in the teeth, or completely without fat? Here opinions differ. What do you say?

This was written with a translator, sorry.

Best regards, u.cremer
"fett" in german in this case translates as "grease". I didn't use any grease when I did mine , but suspect that a small quantity ( perhaps graphite grease?) may make things slide easier.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
u.cremer

Grease is right. Mistake of me, sorry.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #4
Jim Mason

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...l-Aug-2003.pdf
Old 02-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Joe K

The problem with "grease" (or oil) is that grease attracts dust. The dust packs into the grooves eventually, one by one, "holding" the disks in place.

I see the article above eschews grease in any form from getting on the disk teeth/flywheel grooves.

Better and my choice would be to use "dry" lubricant. I.e. silicone spray. You'll have enough challenge with "grooves" worn in the flywheel teeth from repetitive setting of the disks, and a little silicone spray (NOT WD 40 which contains silicone in an oil emulsion) will help keep things moving.

In many ways the Drum Clutch is a more robust unit than the disk clutch used later. It is, however, not as maintenance free.

Joe K
Old 02-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Joe. Also notice one disc has a notch in one tooth. This disc is located at the end of the pack which moves the least. It has slightly wider teeth to keep the rotational movement to a minimum, while the narrower teeth allow for more freedom of movement to disengage when the clutch pedal is pushed.

Years ago I found a mint flywheel and NOS discs, and look forward to the day I install them in my 1928 Phaeton. This will also mean I need to install the original starter and drive with a 1/2" shaft.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Farrell In Vancouver

I wonder why there was little provision in the design to aid in the removal of the clutch disc dust. a few more vent holes in the splined drum would have helped dissipate the accumulation and keep the disc free for operation.
When I feel the discs get a little sticky I throw a can or two of Brake clean at the Discs and that usually flushes it out.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
jb-ob

The original question was if one should grease the teeth of a multi-disc clutch pack.

While I've never seen a factory reference, I suspect Ford's fear was that grease might collect clutch debris.

I just restored a front spring and coated the leaves with a sprayable graphite coating. This might be the perfect product for the splines inside the fly wheel.

'Slip Plate' Dry Film graphite Coating...... read more on line.

JB
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #9
Joe K

And, of course, disassembly of a drum clutch can be an event of "surprises" if one is not conversant with the pent up forces.

I like Victor Page's book "The Model A Ford" for a good description of the disassembly/reassembly. (including the "keymarked" disk) While Page uses KRW tools specialized to the task, it is possible to do the disassembly/reassembly with a good 12 ton press and some blocks of hardwood if one understands the forces.

I have opined previously about a disassembly/reassembly using 3/4" all-thread and steel plates - but now I'm progressed to a press in my arsenal of tooling, I wouldn't bother.

Joe K
Old 02-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

All of the model A people that I knew didn't want the multiple disc clutch and would convert to the later single disc clutch . As anyone can see by reading Joe Ks posts , that the multiple disc setup is far more complicated and difficult to work on or install than the later single disc clutch . Not only that , more expensive tools and equipment wil be needed to install the early clutch . I've had good luck with the pressure plate disc type clutches and most shade tree mechanics like me can work with them .l
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #11
u.cremer

Hello. I found a very good flywheel, also good lambs. Will start installing on Saturday. Thanks for the concerns, but also for the suggestions.
Greeting U.Cremer