Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
old31

Default Inner Axle & Drive Shaft Seals & pinion bearings question

Does it matter what side of the seal is up or down when the axle shafts are installed? Meaning the closed flat end or the seamed side.

Also, I am confused on the pinion preload on the two axle nuts. I have the Snyders wrenches.

In Tom Endys great article 2005 Rear Axle Assembly Rebuild Pictorial he says it should be 20ft lbs in para 1 and 20 inl bs in para 2 and in Para4 that Ford recommends you to actually hammer the wrenches to get them extremely tight.

With those wrenches how can you actually use a torque wrench whether it be inch or pounds?

Is that why Ford just gets them extremely tight?:con fused:
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: Inner Axle & Drive Shaft Seals & pinion bearings question

I think you are mixing apples with oranges, Tom post’s here so I will let him clarify !
Old 02-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
redmodelt

If you look at a seal, there is an angled lip, that lip goes in so when grease pushes aginst it, it will seal to the shaft or axle. You are trying to keep grease in the hub, not so worried about lube from the rear end.

20 INCH OR FOOT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NUTS, THEY ARE TURNED TIGHT AND THE TABBED WASHER IS USED TO KEEP IN PLACE.

Tom says to set the drive shaft to about 18 INCH POUNDS and when you fully tighten the nuts it will bump it up to about 20 INCH POUNDS. If everything checks out then lock in place with the tabbed washer.

YOU ARE NOT SETTING THE NUTS TO 20 INCH POUNDS, YOU ARE SETTING SO IT TAKES 20 INCH POUNDS TO TURN THE DRIVE SHAFT. DON'T FORGET TO INSTALL THE TABBED WASHER BEFORE YOU GET DONE.

Last edited by redmodelt; 02-02-2018 at 11:27 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
Bob C

Page 266 Of the Service Bulletins shows how the rear axle seals go.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:23 AM   #5
denniskliesen

You want the lip of the seal inside the axle housing pointing toward the differential. The seal in the rear hub the lip facing the bearing, and the driveshaft up at the front lip facing forward.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
old31

Thanks guys.

Yup, I didn't think of looking in the Service Bulletins. Just as Bob said on page 266, duh!

This is what I meant on Tom's article.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg preload.jpg (67.7 KB, 73 views)
Old 02-03-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
redmodelt

My copy that I got off the club site says 20 inch pounds, that was a miss print, you will note the correct 20 inch pounds when talking about setting the nuts.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #8
Tom Endy

The photo shown in the previous post is from an early revision of my how to document. There is a typo that was brought to my attention years ago. It has since been corrected. The correct pre-load for both the carrier and the pinion is 20 in. lbs. If you tried to set either pre-load at 20 ft. lbs. it should have become obvious that it was incorrect.

Attached is my 2014 revision. If you go to the Santa Anita A's of Arcadia, California web site there are two additional articles on the subject 2015, 2016, that adds additional information to the 2014 revision.

As far as the three grease seals go, you can install them in either direction and they will work just fine. They are grease seals, not oil seals and they have nothing to do with the oil that is in the differential.

The two seals in the axle housings are there to direct the grease pumped into the rear backing plate grease fitting to grease the wheel bearing. If the seal was not there, or is shot, it will allow the grease to migrate down the axle shaft toward the banjo.

I have taken countless numbers of rear axle housing apart and found the seals totally shot. Depending how often the owner pumped grease into the backing plate grease fitting determined how big in diameter the grease centrifuged around the axle and how far the grease traveled toward the banjo. There is never any sign of differential oil going in the opposite direction. The design of the housings prevent that, unless it is overfilled or a leaking Borg Warner overdrive is allowing oil to overfill the banjo.

The seal in the torque tube is there to prevent the grease that is pumped in through the grease fitting in the transmission rear bearing retainer from going past the roller bearing in the torque tube and migrating down the drive shaft. This seal is almost never changed during an overhaul and all are usually found shot. No harm is done other than a lot of grease loads up in the torque tube.

The original seals were made of a single flap of leather, so it was important how you installed them because if done incorrectly it could cause the leather to fold back over itself. Most of the original seals will have the letters CR stamped on the side. It stood for Chicago Rawhide.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2014 master revision.pdf (3.96 MB, 40 views)
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #9
redmodelt

Thank you Tom^.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #10
old31

Thank you Tom.

I think I just realized why I am such a dummy when it comes to this. In one of your photos on the bench it shows a can of Yuban Coffee.

Please don't tell me I have to start drinking that to get smart like you. YUCK!

If that's the case there isn't enough Yuban coffee on the planet!

Last edited by old31; 02-04-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #11
V4F

real axle is 100# seals stop rear end oil from getting on brakes to the best I know