Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2024, 07:16 PM   #1
Blindhuckster

Default Probably the wrong auction venue for this car.

Saw this 36 Roadster sell at the Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale this week.
Sold for $30,000. plus $3,000.00 buyer's premium. Had a couple of small paint issues that would be easy to correct. Overall, a great car for the money.

https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/E...OADSTER-272450
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0781.jpg (44.7 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg Roadster.jpg (64.8 KB, 609 views)
Blindhuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 07:44 PM   #2
snappydon

Default Re: Probably the wrong auction venue for this car.

Just had a discussion with Deuce_Roadster last week about this very topic.

The pool of guys interested in antique vehicles is getting smaller and smaller. Seems prices are reflecting it.

60’s and early 70’s Muscle cars are holding steady…but as us old farts fade away…the interest in our favorites is waning.
snappydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 07:59 PM   #3
Blindhuckster

Several other Fords sold at the Worldwide auction. Had a chance to see them as well. All nicely restored. 39 Coupe $32,000.00...... 40 Coupe $36,000.00.
And a beautifully restored 46 Deluxe Woody Wagon sold for $61,500.00 which also had a Columbia rear axle.

https://listings.worldwideauctioneer...-deluxe-coupe/

https://listings.worldwideauctioneer...d-opera-coupe/

https://listings.worldwideauctioneer...station-wagon/
Old 01-28-2024, 08:04 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindhuckster View Post
Saw this 36 Roadster sell at the Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale this week.
Sold for $30,000. plus $3,000.00 buyer's premium. Had a couple of small paint issues that would be easy to correct. Overall, a great car for the money.

https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/E...OADSTER-272450

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:20 PM   #5
ford38v8

From the description of paint issues and those two pictures showing an older top, misalignment of drivers door and grille, incorrect mirror and skirts, it’s apparently an older amateur restoration, so I’d say that the seller made his reserve and then some.

Last edited by ford38v8; 01-28-2024 at 08:26 PM.
ford38v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:04 PM   #6
tubman

I'm not fussy; I'd take the skirts off and drive the wheels off of it.

I've always wanted one of these. It's my color, too.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:32 PM   #7
GB SISSON

I'm with Denny. At that price it could be a daily driver. (In Arizona that is... I'd need a coupe or sedan for a DD in Western Washington.)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 12:32 AM   #8
cas3

Looked like a bargain to me. very happy buyer i'd guess
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:13 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
From the description of paint issues and those two pictures showing an older top, misalignment of drivers door and grille, incorrect mirror and skirts, it’s apparently an older amateur restoration, so I’d say that the seller made his reserve and then some.
I tend to agree with you/. Looking very closely, this car is not all that nice. An amateur refinishing methinks.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:17 AM   #10
Tim Ayers

If not rotted out or a bondo boat, please send any and all $30K or under running and driving '35/'36 roadsters with a top and 10 footer paint my way all and every day.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 12:16 PM   #11
Bob T

In my opinion selling a 30's; 40's 50 's etc. vehicle at B. J. or Mecum is a mistake. Seeing a restored 57 T Bird sold at $33,000 and a 65 Bronco right behind it at $115,000 [ previous Mecum Auction ] would tell me Im not at the right place.
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:38 PM   #12
Seth Swoboda

Generally, the re-sale values on our V8 Fords are soft. It doesn't bother me much because I enjoy working on them and driving them. I understand that I'd never get my money out of one if I sold it. I also don't look at them as an investment, which is poor thinking regardless. Some folks like to play golf, fish, hunt or travel the globe. It's a hobby. Look at it this way, perhaps it will give a younger person a chance at owning a V8 Ford more affordably?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 05:21 PM   #13
Bored&Stroked

I think I'd take that car, remove the skirts, fix anything mechanical in it, put in a hot flathead and drive the living crap out of it!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:20 AM   #14
3Dueces

Wanted to bid on that there car, but Barrett took all my money on the admission fee and $12.00 draft beers...
3Dueces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:11 AM   #15
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Generally, the re-sale values on our V8 Fords are soft. It doesn't bother me much because I enjoy working on them and driving them. I understand that I'd never get my money out of one if I sold it. I also don't look at them as an investment, which is poor thinking regardless. Some folks like to play golf, fish, hunt or travel the globe. It's a hobby. Look at it this way, perhaps it will give a younger person a chance at owning a V8 Ford more affordably?
Well said !……how many people get their money back from golfing, fishing, hunting or traveling when they move on to something else?…….Im not planning on getting my money back from my hobbies either …….Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:16 AM   #16
rockfla

UNFORTUNATELY, at that price, It is easily justified, financially, to make it into a hot rod, which IF I were a betting man.....will happen!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:31 AM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
UNFORTUNATELY, at that price, It is easily justified, financially, to make it into a hot rod, which IF I were a betting man.....will happen!!!!
Well, maybe a very cool, early style West Coast custom, but yeah. Just like God intended. LOL!!!!!
Old 01-30-2024, 09:35 AM   #18
rockfla

Tim
I haven't forgot you or Tony on "The Tool", operating of "machinist" time IF you know what I mean....never seems to be NO tomorrow with them. The 1-5/8 bore is more than I want to attempt on my lathe. SO its coming, just like Christmas
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:37 AM   #19
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Tim
I haven't forgot you or Tony on "The Tool", operating of "machinist" time IF you know what I mean....never seems to be NO tomorrow with them. The 1-5/8 bore is more than I want to attempt on my lathe. SO its coming, just like Christmas
Sounds good, Robert. No rush on my end. I truly appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2024, 01:02 PM   #20
Blindhuckster

I agree with some but not all of the responses. Having seen the car in person makes a difference in the judgment of the car. Forgive my ignorance for not knowing about the incorrect fender skirts and other nonoriginal pieces. It's obvious that few, if any click on the auction link to see more pictures as well as the sellers description of the car. So here it is again.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...OADSTER-272450

Lot #713 - This all-steel 1936 Ford Deluxe roadster is powered by a fully dressed 24-stud 59AB Flathead built by Green Enterprises in Kent, WA. It features all new internals, a set of original NOS Navarro aluminum heads with new stainless valves, Isky cam, dual Ford 94 carburetors on a vintage Offenhauser intake manifold, finned aluminum free-flow air filters and ceramic-coated Fenton headers. It is updated with 12-volt electricals, hydraulic brakes, a new custom-built radiator with an electric fan and a freshly rebuilt 1939 transmission with synchromesh gears, a 10-inch clutch and 3.25 highway rear end. Other notable features include all new/rebuilt suspension with front sway bar upgrade, all new wiring (including incorporating turn signal functionality into the taillights), factory rumble seat, all-new soft-top and side curtains, original banjo steering wheel, rebuilt original radio, deluxe "spider" chrome wheel covers, dual sideview mirrors, fender skirts and a dual exhaust system. It sits on reproduction bias-ply wide whitewall tires and has a rear-mounted spare. Included with the car is detailed information and receipts for the mechanical work and updates, as well as additional Flathead and instruction booklet. Deluxe roadsters made up just 0.4 percent of total production for 1936.

This description and picture of the engine compartment and interior, don't sound like an amateur restoration to me. As far as the grille not fitting right, not sure why that is as in the pictures prior to the auction, it looks fine. I myself would love to have it. Nate Anello
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 272450_Engine_Web.jpg (74.0 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 272450_Interior_Web.jpg (62.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 272450_Front_3-4_Web.jpg (94.0 KB, 134 views)