Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2016, 11:42 PM   #21
Royce P

Default Re: Ampco Vapor Lubricator

It is a full scale ripoff and there is no benefit whatsoever. You are mistaken if you believe there is any benefit.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:10 AM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce P View Post
It is a full scale ripoff and there is no benefit whatsoever. You are mistaken if you believe there is any benefit.
And you know this how?
Old 03-13-2016, 04:03 AM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Charles and Henry thought upper cylinder lubrication was such a good idea the installed them on the cars they built. Check out a Rolls Royce.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:06 AM   #24
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley1930 View Post
Told you brain slipped out of gear. Just reread your reply and see you still use it in fuel tank but maybe less
Sorry for the confusion, I will not be adding to the fuel tank any longer it will not be necessary
Old 03-13-2016, 04:08 AM   #25
inex01

Quote:
I have never enjoyed being so very ripped off then!
Old 03-13-2016, 05:35 AM   #26
Dollar Bill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I recommend you continue to add MMO or ATF in the gas tank to manage water accumulation from the ethanol.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:47 AM   #27
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
I recommend you continue to add MMO or ATF in the gas tank to manage water accumulation from the ethanol.
I use Marine Sta Bil
Old 03-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #28
Royce P

If there was any benefit to MMO several things would happen.

First, every car manufacturer would require you to use it.
Second, Marvel would provide dynamometer testing to prove that fuel economy, or longevity were improved. This would be a very simple test that would not cost much.

They can't, because it doesn't do anything good, except line the wallets of the crooks who sell it. Millions of people are and always will be duped by scams like this. Humans do not always learn from the mistakes of others. Con artists win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
And you know this how?
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Old 03-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #29
Sunnybrook Farm

Wouldn't just putting a larger amount in the fuel tank have the same result as injecting it? Seems like the end result is a richer mixture of the additive.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #30
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrook Farm View Post
Wouldn't just putting a larger amount in the fuel tank have the same result as injecting it? Seems like the end result is a richer mixture of the additive.
That all comes down to droplet size and what happens to the stuff. In either case some of it will be burned as vaporized fuel and some deposited on valve stems and cylinder walls. Atomizing it through a carb will create extremely small droplets as the fuel vaporizes and leave the MMO behind. When mixed in the gas you will get more burn and less product delivery to metal surfaces than with the coarser spattering that a direct droplet feed will provide.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #31
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
Mike..you don't state weather you like them or not?? Curious
40 years ago I built and ran quite a few SBC race engines, both strip and circle for myself and others. They all had the metal can (unbreakable) MMO inverse feeders. Never seized an exhaust stem or ripped up a cylinder. More than I could say for the competition. Since it was mostly low vac. & W.O.T. the inverse oiler worked best. An Ampco would not. However, for lots of idling and easy high-vac street driving with little or no W.O.T. the Ampco (which I do NOT collect) would probably deliver a better feed rate profile. So I guess you could say I like the overall concept of both of them.

Of interesting note, in the 70's when Judson superchargers became popular for some vehicles the MMO inverse feeder was required or no warranty on the rotor and housing!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #32
Sunnybrook Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
That all comes down to droplet size and what happens to the stuff. In either case some of it will be burned as vaporized fuel and some deposited on valve stems and cylinder walls. Atomizing it through a carb will create extremely small droplets as the fuel vaporizes and leave the MMO behind. When mixed in the gas you will get more burn and less product delivery to metal surfaces than with the coarser spattering that a direct droplet feed will provide.
I see what you are saying, I couldn't figure why they just didn't dump more in the tank. I used it in the tank for years as the motor rebuilding guys told me that it helped prevent a hard carbon deposit and just kept everything lubricated as the modern gasoline burnt differently than the stuff from the past. Don't know, it is what they believed and they knew engines.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #33
Royce P

I drag race my muscle cars every summer. I build my own engines. I've never used MMO and never had a failure. My Model A and T engines all run great too.

You won't see any professional using Marvel Mystery Oil in an engine. They all know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
40 years ago I built and ran quite a few SBC race engines, both strip and circle for myself and others. They all had the metal can (unbreakable) MMO inverse feeders. Never seized an exhaust stem or ripped up a cylinder. More than I could say for the competition. Since it was mostly low vac. & W.O.T. the inverse oiler worked best. An Ampco would not. However, for lots of idling and easy high-vac street driving with little or no W.O.T. the Ampco (which I do NOT collect) would probably deliver a better feed rate profile. So I guess you could say I like the overall concept of both of them.

Of interesting note, in the 70's when Judson superchargers became popular for some vehicles the MMO inverse feeder was required or no warranty on the rotor and housing!
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Old 03-14-2016, 12:08 AM   #34
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
If there was any benefit to MMO several things would happen.

First, every car manufacturer would require you to use it.
Second, Marvel would provide dynamometer testing to prove that fuel economy, or longevity were improved. This would be a very simple test that would not cost much.

They can't, because it doesn't do anything good, except line the wallets of the crooks who sell it. Millions of people are and always will be duped by scams like this. Humans do not always learn from the mistakes of others. Con artists win.
Then why not become a millionaire and sue them for false advertising? A lawyer would easily take it on contingence and split the millions with you. Since they have been ripping people off since the 1920's, making millions upon millions of dollars.

After all red bull was sued, and lost, for false advertising for using the slogan "Red bull gives you wings", netting the plaintiffs almost 2 million dollars.

Look how many additives the FTC has successfully halted due to false and deceptive advertising, the marketers of Dura Lube, Motor Up, Prolong, Valvoline, Slick 50, STP, zmax and other major brands of engine treatment systems.

Why not Marvel Mystery oil?

Just because you don't like their advertising does not mean it's a scam.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 03-14-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote