Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2016, 06:12 AM   #1
inex01

Default Have you ever checked your Front Spring Perchs

While out for a drive yesterday in my 31 Slant sedan I noticed that when I was braking I could feel a "Clunk" and the car would randomly pull to the left. I thought it was the front brakes because last week did a complete front brake job including backing plates, so I figured it was just a adjustment, but the "Clunk" sound was a separate issue. Before I did a brake adjustment I checked the Radius Rod Socket which I also replaced a few months ago, I noticed that the cap was not seated correctly, next step was to check all front suspension connections. I then used a pry bar on my front spring shackle between the shackle and the I-Beam next to the Spring Perch, Well what I discovered is a very loose left front spring Perch nut, then checked the right and it was not as loose but was loose. I tightened both and then loosened the Radius Road socket nuts and then reset to specifications. Took the car for a test drive and no more "Clunk" and no longer pulling to the left, or pulling at all. The car now feels more controllable and I assume this has been a problem for quite a long time but finally the bushings wore out enough to be recognizable. My plans are to replace both the Front Spring Perch bushings but in the mean time the car is usable. Just wanted to pass this on and I suggest you check your Front Spring Perches it is something that I never thought to do.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
RonC

Default Re: Have you ever checked your Front Spring Perchs

Recheck it after a while. Its a tapered fit and depending how long its been loose your axle hole may be worn preventing a good tight fit
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Recheck it after a while. Its a tapered fit and depending how long its been loose your axle hole may be worn preventing a good tight fit
I do plan of pulling it next week and feel you may be correct, fortunately I have a couple of decent axles so if this one on the car is egged out will just replace the entire axle
Old 02-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Terry, NJ

I had a similar problem. Only I was experiencing "Death Wobble". I had replaced the left king pin and thought I got it. It had improved somewhat. I jacked the front axle and saw immediately that the shackles were not right. Pulling the shackle, I could see the bushing was worn through into the perch. The fix included new perches shackles and bushings. steering was OK after that.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #5
Brendan

i like to go through and tighten up everything, on my roadster once a year. i found a loose shock mount, and i had a loose spring perch

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
vulture

I try to give my car a quick eyeball and shake shake and see and hear anything odd before heading out. I think it's a great idea also to have someone else eyeball it . I know the streetrod guys have safety checks at meets if you choose. They check 23 different points of the car at no charge with advice on any issues or wear. I don't know if Model a Clubs or V8 clubs do this and not affiliated with any of those clubs
Old 02-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #7
pooch

Could someone offer a pic of an exploded diagram ( I think youse over there call it a schematic ?) of the perch with said bushes .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:47 AM   #8
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Could someone offer a pic of an exploded diagram ( I think youse over there call it a schematic ?) of the perch with said bushes .
Here is a picture of the shackle & perch spring, hope this helps. I just can not believe how much this effects the car when slightly loose, well worth checking!
https://www.google.com/search?q=mode...qBqsgXXa9pM%3A
Old 02-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #9
Fordors

Here's another picture of the bushing in the perch-

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mo...-included.html

The V8 Fords use steel encased, rubber isolated shackle studs and most hot rodders (except the most traditional) will use different perches and urethane bushings.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

To add to this, Claude, (RIP), found 2 cars that had loose nuts that secures the steering arms to the spindles. They're EASILY overlooked! The symptoms were a "side to side" wobble, only at about 30 to 40 MPH & above that, it "seemed" to go away.
Bill W.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Go to my profile, and go to my albums, "My coupe" and you'll see what mine looked like. Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote