Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2015, 03:34 AM   #1
inex01

Default No More Vibration

I have accomplished a major issue with my 31 Slant Sedan, what is it you ask? well I previously posted that I installed a new front spring years ago that was never prepared correctly, yesterday I installed the correctly prepared spring, adjusted the shackles, connected the shocks, installed the spring covers, adjusted the rear shackles that were slightly tight and installed more graphite in the rear spring and then the covers. Next I checked my motor mount rubbers which are only three years old and noticed that a cotter pin were missing on one bolt so I removed all three on each side and adjusted then installed new carter pins.

Went for a test drive and the CAR RIDES LIKE A NORMAL MODERN CAR! YEA!!!!! does have a very minimal vibration which may go away after I install new rubber motor mounts, but now the car is just so enjoyable to drive I just can not believe the difference .

My next project is to pull the engine and install a lighten flywheel and V8 clutch, doing this more for medical because of my constant sciatica and this up-grade am told will give me a lighter pedal, hope it does not hurt the cars performance!

Last edited by inex01; 10-30-2015 at 03:40 AM.
inex01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: No More Vibration

There is a different arm that can be installed on the clutch release shaft to give a softer pedal. It's longer and will give the throw out bearing less travel, but still should work fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
scooder

Where would one get these longer clutch throw out arms?
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Where would one get these longer clutch throw out arms?
Martin.
Martin, All of the vendors have it. Here's a link to one at Bratton's http://brattons.com/product.asp?P_ID...=any&PT_ID=all

I also added this Clutch Yoke to make adjustment easier. http://brattons.com/product.asp?P_ID...=any&PT_ID=all

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-30-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
There is a different arm that can be installed on the clutch release shaft to give a softer pedal. It's longer and will give the throw out bearing less travel, but still should work fine.
Sincerely Thank you Tom! I will definitely purchase
Old 10-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
w.michael

I have the V-8 clutch and lightened flywheel. It does give a somewhat easier clutch pedal action, but not a huge difference. I appreciate all the help my old knees can get, and it does help. However, I do not like the lightened flywheel. I was accustomed to driving with a "heavy weight" (original weight) flywheel for 40+ years, and the lightened flywheel changes the rhythm for shifting and double-clutching. I had to get used to a new rhythm. Also, I am much more likely to choke the engine when pulling away from a stop sign or stoplight with the lightened flywheel.

Although I have not tried the longer clutch release shaft arm that Mr. Wesenberg mentioned, I believe it would be a better answer than a V-8 clutch in terms of reduced pedal effort. It certainly would be worth a try before pulling the engine and changing the flywheel and pressure plate.

For reference, see Bratton's part no. 11270.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post
I have the V-8 clutch and lightened flywheel. It does give a somewhat easier clutch pedal action, but not a huge difference. I appreciate all the help my old knees can get, and it does help. However, I do not like the lightened flywheel. I was accustomed to driving with a "heavy weight" (original weight) flywheel for 40+ years, and the lightened flywheel changes the rhythm for shifting and double-clutching. I had to get used to a new rhythm. Also, I am much more likely to choke the engine when pulling away from a stop sign or stoplight with the lightened flywheel.

Although I have not tried the longer clutch release shaft arm that Mr. Wesenberg mentioned, I believe it would be a better answer than a V-8 clutch in terms of reduced pedal effort. It certainly would be worth a try before pulling the engine and changing the flywheel and pressure plate.

For reference, see Bratton's part no. 11270.

W. Michael
I already purchased the V8 Clutch & Flywheel but I am in total agreement that I will try release shaft and if it works will just return the V8 Clutch & Flywheel as it is still in the box. Thank you for the additional information, your Guys are a credit to our hobby
Old 10-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #8
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Martin, All of the vendors have it. Here's a link to one at Bratton's http://brattons.com/product.asp?P_ID...=any&PT_ID=all

I also added this Clutch Yoke to make adjustment easier. http://brattons.com/product.asp?P_ID...=any&PT_ID=all
Thanks for that, much appreciated. My useless knee will also be happier.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #9
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post
.... However, I do not like the lightened flywheel.
Absolutely agree with you.

I have a lightened flywheel on the 31 and standard on the 29. The 29 runs SO much smoother and is easier to drive overall. The 31 revs quicker, and the revs slow down quicker, but it sucks when trying to take off on a hill or when the wife is trying to drive it. Also, you're right about the shifting.

Long range plan is to go back to the standard flywheel on the 31 someday. It was a LOT more fun to drive before having the flywheel lightened.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #10
J Witt

I'm not sure of the length of the longer throwout arm compared to the one (stock?) that's on my car. Currently the pedal needs to be all the way down to assure the complete release of the clutch. A longer arm would require even more travel which doesn't seem to be available.

Is there a preferred angle/dimensions for arms on the clutch to get a better travel arrangement?

Thanks,

John
Old 10-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

John, did you make sure the clutch fingers were properly adjusted before you installed the pressure plate? When you bolt the pressure plate and disc to the flywheel all 6 fingers should be adjusted to 11/16" or 3/4", but make sure all 6 are even. With a properly adjusted pressure plate I haven't really needed to go all the way to the floor to shaft. I also keep my pedal at about 3/4" freeplay.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #12
Y-Blockhead

I have the longer arm and don't have any problems with the clutch disengaging even with carpet and insulation. I do keep the pedal adjusted to 3/4" free play, as Tom suggests.

One thing for sure, it's a LOT easier on old legs that need a tune up...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote