Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #1
inex01

Post Ouestion About FAM

My cars do not have FAM installed and like the idea of using them but will not consider unless I can assure the chassis will not sag or flex so I have a question: If you install the FAM how would a chassis cross over brace to keep the chassis from twisting and sagging work out ? has anyone ever done this and if yes how did you fabricate the brace and where did you install the brace ?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Ouestion About FAM

Too much work for nothing. Change the rubber in the original mounts. If your engine is still vibrating that much, have the engine rebuilt because something is wrong with it.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
fiddlybits

Do you mean to say that a glass of water, sitting on the floorboards, with the engine running, should not have whitecaps?
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
Ray64

Water is ok just not a cold one LOL
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Chuck, this proverbial horse has been 'beat to death', and I guess the only way I can answer your post is if you think it will be the best, then nothing anyone is going to say will sway your mind. The FAM does nothing for sag of the frame, but what most folks miss is this original engine mount is what pushes the entire vehicle and locates the engine/transmission.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
inex01

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My engine is balanced and yes has a vibration and yes was interested in the FAM, You seem to be a group of wise guys ! .... will definitely not ask any more questions, will just read what you "experts: post and take in whatever. thanks for nothing .
Old 09-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

inexo1: Quite a "chip" on your shoulder. ......... There's much controversy here about pro's and cons of float a motors. Car is 83 (mine any way) years old. Henry's original mounts have sufficed for that long. I don't believe anyone's ever built a home made brace/crossmember. Personally I'd go bak to original mounts and pull the engine and "correct" your vibration. FWIW

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
mass A man

Stick with the original guy.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Original mounts are the best way to go without a doubt . Float-A-motors just make removal and replacement of the engine easier and thats the only good thing that I can say about them.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by inex01 View Post
My engine is balanced and yes has a vibration and yes was interested in the FAM, You seem to be a group of wise guys ! .... will definitely not ask any more questions, will just read what you "experts: post and take in whatever. thanks for nothing .
If your engine is truly balanced, then please explain why you have a vibration!

This kinds confirms what I stated in my post above, your mind is already made up and it appears we did not give you the answers you were seeking so we're a bunch of wise guys now. My suggestion is try them, ...see if your experiences are the same as ours, -- or different.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

The Model A engine, stock, has very little vibration. If an engine is truly balanced then that little vibration will be even less. To put in another cross member that would need to be riveted in place would need the body removed, heavy steel fabricated into a cross member is in my opinion too much for nothing. Besides you still have all the problem associated with a FAM. A search will find a wealth of information on the subject.

Just because you don't like the answers is no reason to go away mad. We are just trying to tell you that doing all that work will do little to nothing to help. Take the time and the money and spend it in the car driving it.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:58 AM   #12
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
If your engine is truly balanced, then please explain why you have a vibration!

This kinds confirms what I stated in my post above, your mind is already made up and it appears we did not give you the answers you were seeking so we're a bunch of wise guys now. My suggestion is try them, ...see if your experiences are the same as ours, -- or different.
I was just curious and asked a basic simple question..... what the heck is wrong with you people ????
Old 09-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by inex01 View Post
I was just curious and asked a basic simple question..... what the heck is wrong with you people ????
I don't know that anything is wrong with anyone. As someone above stated, it did appear you have a chip on your shoulder, and I did respond to your PM request.

You stated that you liked FAM mounts (which the majority of folks here don't) and you are wanting us to assure you that they won't cause any damage to the frame. As I stated above, the FAM does not have any bearing on frame sag, ...therefore we cannot give you any assurance. I also gave a brief explanation as to the downfall that you should consider. I also encouraged YOU to give them a try to see if they meet your expectations. We offered our experiences yet it seemed like you wanted each of us to convince you otherwise. I wish you would realize we were trying to tell you the facts, -not just tell you what we think you want to hear. I'm sorry if we offended you.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

Inex,
I put FAMS in the front & rear of Minerva & IT MADE IT LIKE A DIFFERENT CAR!!!!! It just went along, like, "HMMMMMN!!!!!!
Bill W.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Purdy Swoft

I guess you may have liked it better If we recommended float-A-motor mounts. I have used them and my experience wasn't good. As far as i'm concerned they do contribute to frame sag . If another crossmember was added to the frame, it would do NO good unless there was a firm connection to the engine. As so well stated in post # 5 the original rear mounts is what pushes the entire vehicle and locates the engine and transmission . Without this original solid engine mount crossmember , the whole running gear floats . Usually shortly after installation chatter apon taking off will set in. Later Ford cars with donut style engine mount pads had anti chatter rods connected to the rear of the engine and stronger frames of different design was used . Four cylinder engines will have some vibration at certain RPMs . The original dalanced rotating assembly that came in the new model A was about as smoth as a four cylinder engine gets. A heavy counter balanced crankshaft may remove some flexing of the crankshaft but will not remove the vibration that inline four cylinder engines have at certain RPMs. If you go ahead and install the FAMs I feel that you will later regret it but they will be such a pain to replace that you will just go ahead and live with the extra problems that they add , rather than going through the hassle and expense of replacing them. In most cases a frame spreader will be needed in the event that FAMs get replaced. Just my experience but go ahead. Experience is usually a hard teacher, but really the best !!!!!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote