Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #21
inex01

Default Re: Real Barn Find Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Can you tell if the mains are still factory babbit. My 28 had .060" pistons, but still was running on the factory babbit. It only had a shim or two left, on the mains, so I had the block rebabbitted. Since the babbit was till good I should have left it alone.
I have seen lots of babbit mains and I really feel they are original, but who knows what has happened in the last 86 years, I do know from the Farmer's Grandson that the engine was used from 1938 - 1943 as a generator for the Farmer's welder and he bought the engine from his local junk yard, what I find puzzling is the #1 piston being different from the other three. I will put it all back together and run on my test stand and if she runs smooth will install in my Roadster, if not will most likely build either a Speedster or an old school hot rod, either way it will find a home between frame rails
Old 07-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #22
Terry, NJ

I am told it was a fairly common practice in the old days to only bore one cylinder. It didn't seem to matter very much so no one thought much about it. You're running into depression era economics! Cheapest way! Bill W. can elaborate on this, He lived it.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by inex01 View Post
I have seen lots of babbit mains and I really feel they are original, but who knows what has happened in the last 86 years, I do know from the Farmer's Grandson that the engine was used from 1938 - 1943 as a generator for the Farmer's welder and he bought the engine from his local junk yard, what I find puzzling is the #1 piston being different from the other three. I will put it all back together and run on my test stand and if she runs smooth will install in my Roadster, if not will most likely build either a Speedster or an old school hot rod, either way it will find a home between frame rails
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #23
100IH

Get an inside micrometer or bore gauge and measure all of the holes below the ring travel. The other pistons likely are a match, or not. If they are all the same, get a new set of SilvoLite pistons .030 over and a ring set and be done with it.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #24
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
Get an inside micrometer or bore gauge and measure all of the holes below the ring travel. The other pistons likely are a match, or not. If they are all the same, get a new set of SilvoLite pistons .030 over and a ring set and be done with it.
Yea it is a good idea and thanks for the suggestion