Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2016, 04:37 AM   #1
inex01

Default Before you install your motor

My friend picked up a rough running 31 Coupe and I pulled the engine a couple of weeks ago and checked the bearings using the plastic gauge and all looked super so I then did a valve job and installed a high compression 5.5 head, then rebuilt the transmission which really did need attention as all was original and bearings were really shot. Now My BIG mistake! I did not check the main transmission shaft nose where it goes into the Pilot bearing to make sure it would slide into the new pilot, Old Model A guys will tell you to check this as it is not uncommon for the end to mushroom just enough to keep it from inserting into the pilot bearing. So bottom line I tried to install and of-course it would not go in. The fix is very easy just bevel the end of the nose till the pilot slides on, and remember to put some grease on the shaft, make sure you check this before installing your engine! Oh also balanced the flywheel and this car really drives like a new car now, Gerry is one happy camper!
Old 06-26-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
jhowes

Default Re: Before you install your motor

I am interested in how you balanced the flywheel. Do you need any special equipment or is there some shade tree way? Balancing has always been a mystery to me. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
100IH

Balancing rotating assembles is a science that uses a very expensive machine that some auto machine shops have. Only some shops have done Model A flywheels and experience is a big part of getting it right. Do a search on U tube to see how it is done. The reciprocating parts like the pistons and rods is yet another procedure.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Redbird

A machine shop will spin it, just as you would a tire, and shave a little off the high spots so it won't wobble under load.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
I am interested in how you balanced the flywheel. Do you need any special equipment or is there some shade tree way? Balancing has always been a mystery to me. Jack
My local machine shop balanced the flywheel assembly, the cost was $165.00, but it is also extremely important to check for the correct adjustment on your pressure plate fingers and make sure your flywheel housing is true, if you do not do this most likely you will have a chattering clutch. I used a dial indicator on my flywheel housing. See picture:

IMG_2222.jpg