Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #1
john charlton

Default AA Truck wire wheel hubcaps

My newly acquired AA truck although mid 29 came with wire wheels but of course no hub caps . I know these are very hard to find. About thirty years ago I sold 5 NOS hub caps to a person in Finland these were still in their "Ford of England" packaging and were stainless steel my 31 English AA has stainless hub caps also . Anyway I could see that the front wheel bearings really do need some kind of weather protection what to do what to do . I thought of cutting down a yoghurt pot or similar and fudging it into the hub .Suddenly a flash of inspiration hit me how about a regular 21" hub cap I knew the hub cap hole was bigger by a little in the AA wire wheel hub and maybe a little tweeking could make it work . The repro stainless hub cap is ideal for this as the tangs are slightly longer and bend easily without fracture . I flatten the tangs with a visegrip and then bend them vertical with a cable stripper this works a treat as the tang root tears a little which gives more length . I enter the cap in the wheel and lay the wheel face down (on the kitchen carpet) and with a drift flatten the tangs in a inwards/outwards direction . Do a trial fit before final setting as if you are off centre you wont be able to move it laterally afterwards .I have seen many wire wheel AA truck pics on the internet and many have no hubcaps and none with my patent fix . I think it looks cool and of course they have the "Ford " script . Hopefully my son will post pics for me .

John in very cold Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote