Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #21
Scotty's 52 F3

Default Re: Need a 4 speed synchronized truck tranny

I can shift a crash box T9 and I still swapped it out for a T98. It's OK out on the farm but, it does suck in traffic.

I also did the Dana 60 swap. Got one from a 72 F250 with 3.73 gears. I got rid of the widow maker wheels with 34" tall rubber and used 16" wheels from a 48 F2 and tires that are about 32" tall. Good combo for me. Easy to shift and a top speed over 65. All bolt in except for shortening the drive shaft.

Personal preference.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #22
GB SISSON

What is 'traffic'....?? OK, I'm just gloating about living on a 75 sq mile island with 5000 residents. I DO NOT drive my T9s when I go down the I-5 corridor to visit my kids in Seattle. That's the '97 with one of them auto-matic transmissions.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #23
Ross F-1

One other point on the factory truck 4-sp's of the era (and later). 1st gear is so steep (6.4 : 1) that there's little point in using 1st except when loaded or pulling stumps. So really you're driving a 3-sp most of the time. 2nd gear in both the T9 and T98 is steeper than 1st in the 3-sp's. So another option is the HD 3-sp that was optional on the F-2/-3. It's a drop-in, just need a driveshaft change. That is the T-87 trans, not exactly common but more so than the T-98's.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:45 PM   #24
Scotty's 52 F3

Must be nice GB. I have to drive my 52 on the I-10 frontage road because it's 75 MPH on the freeway. I'd get plowed as soon as I cleared the on ramp. 45-50 stop light to stop light otherwise. The T9 did suck.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:07 PM   #25
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3 View Post
Must be nice GB. I have to drive my 52 on the I-10 frontage road because it's 75 MPH on the freeway. I'd get plowed as soon as I cleared the on ramp. 45-50 stop light to stop light otherwise. The T9 did suck.
I bet most of the world was more like Orcas Island in 1952. All of my trucks will do 45, but that's above the speed limit here. These old ford trucks, including my 1/2 ton woodie are perfectly geared for our roads. Lots of hills, curves and DEER! But now I'm rambling off track on the synchro/crash box discussion.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 10-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #26
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Syncro silent T98 . Good luck they are hard to find. 51 and 52 F6 with a 6 cyl i was told is the common place to find one. IHC used the same trans for a couple years. And to make it worse not all T98 are the same.
I have been looking for one for my 51 F2
I have a couple of very good T98 4 speeds from '59-64 Ford trucks.
PM me
Old 10-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #27
blucar

I don't think the DMV or law enforcement give a hoot about what year the mechanical components of a vehicle is, it only the body and the appearance of same that means anything.
I have a '64 pickup that I put on a '98 chassis. The body is a very rare extended cab rail road truck, has a back seat, but only two doors.
Neat looking truck and a pleasure to drive with AC, PS, PB and AT.
Little tricky mounting the '64 body on the '98 chassis. Removed the '64 cowl from the belt-line down, replacing it with the '98 along with the front portion of the floor boards, extending to the front of the seat. Retained the '64 dash with newer instruments.

Foot note: I removed all of the non-sense modern electronics from the chassis. ie; navigation, anti-theft, seat belt warning, door ajar, etc., leaving all of the emission controls because the engine is fuel injected. If I had to have the vehicle inspected for emissions it would pass the CA requirements.

Last edited by blucar; 10-14-2017 at 01:21 PM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #28
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
I was researching if any states ever had restrictions on driving manual shift cars if you got your license on an automatic. I found that if one gets a CDL with an automatic, there is a restriction against manual transmissions. It used the 10 speed fuller as an example that if one is not experienced they could get stuck in neutral which means the driver has lost control of the vehicle.
For over ten years I drove a large International three axle truck with a 13 speed Road-ranger trans. Since the truck required a CDL I had to take a state required driving test every three years.
The 13 spd road-ranger trans did not like a clutch, the preferred method was "speed shifting". The California CDL code requires the use of a clutch. It would usually take the CA examiner a while to note that I was not using the clutch, where-as I would be informed that I had to use the clutch. Informing the examiner that the road-ranger did not like to be clutched, usually fell on deaf ears. I would stop the truck and attempt to use the clutch, which usually did not work to well, lots of gear grinding. After a couple of attempts I would ask the examiner if I could go back to driving the truck as it was designed to be driven.
As a general rule the examiner would pass me with a very high mark, except for a comment that I needed practice with a clutch.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #29
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
For over ten years I drove a large International three axle truck with a 13 speed Road-ranger trans. Since the truck required a CDL I had to take a state required driving test every three years.
The 13 spd road-ranger trans did not like a clutch, the preferred method was "speed shifting". The California CDL code requires the use of a clutch. It would usually take the CA examiner a while to note that I was not using the clutch, where-as I would be informed that I had to use the clutch. Informing the examiner that the road-ranger did not like to be clutched, usually fell on deaf ears. I would stop the truck and attempt to use the clutch, which usually did not work to well, lots of gear grinding. After a couple of attempts I would ask the examiner if I could go back to driving the truck as it was designed to be driven.
As a general rule the examiner would pass me with a very high mark, except for a comment that I needed practice with a clutch.
Now that's funny. Definately not your first rodeo. The guys at FTE would love a story about your railroad truck.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #30
KS farmboy

Really want to thank all the replies to my post. Great info! Truck project got sidelined, but now back on full front burner. Still in need of a Synchro-Silent T98 if any one has one. I have a T98-1R 9W if any one an use it... wrong for my 329cid flat 8. Are there any other tranny that will mate up to the 6 hole T8/9 bell adapter?
KS farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #31
KS farmboy

I had the road-ranger too absolutely correct - slip it in gear
Old 04-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #32
KS farmboy

Thank you for the lead!
Old 04-02-2021, 01:55 AM   #33
frnkeore

I have a F3 that was a 6 and has 4.86's. My cure was putting a AOD trans in it. I also put a 302 in it.

A lot more work, I know but, it makes the rear gear ratio 3.32.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote