Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
Shoebox

Default Oil pump idler gear

Kind of a basic question but,.... is the shaft/post that the oil pump idler gear spins on, a slight interference or tap in fit where it goes into the block? I know it's the gear that spins, not the shaft, just double checking. Thanks!

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:00 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Oil pump idler gear

The pin is pressed fit and has a threaded hole in it to accommodate a puller to remove it.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:15 PM   #3
19Fordy

I think its a press fit that can be accomplished by gently tapping the shaft into the hole.
I would put the pin overnight in the refrigerator freezer to cool it down so you could tap it in. I removed mine using a large socket and a bolt. Here's some photos of both cast and pressed steel covers. Green cover is cast iron for 51 Merc. The other is pressed steel. I think they are interchangeable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3331b.jpg (61.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3332b.jpg (59.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3384b.jpg (76.6 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3385b.jpg (58.6 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3386b.jpg (55.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8831best small.jpg (59.3 KB, 22 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:43 PM   #4
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
Kind of a basic question but,.... is the shaft/post that the oil pump idler gear spins on, a slight interference or tap in fit where it goes into the block? I know it's the gear that spins, not the shaft, just double checking. Thanks!
Yes as others have mentioned the shaft is a slight interference fit. To push the shaft in I tap on the head of a bolt that's threaded into the end of the shaft. Once you have the shaft installed you should be able to rotate the idler gear easily. Once the shaft is in the bolt is removed and the gasket and cover can be installed.

Additionally for anyone wondering how to remove the assembly a slide hammer can be used with a 3/8 coarse threaded stud on the end which you thread into the end of the shaft now the assembly is easily removed.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:10 PM   #5
Shoebox

Wow,this is a great example of even the most basic of questions are worth asking here on the Barn. First, I got the answer/confirmation to my question regarding a slight interference fit. Then I learned that my idler cover (cast iron) is Merc, finally, I was aware of the hole in the shaft, but was not aware that is threaded, and how that was to be used. THANKS GUYS!

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:39 PM   #6
mcgarrett

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Do yourself a BIG favor...while you are working in this area of the engine, don't forget to check the idler gear bushing to make sure it isn't worn out and sloppy. Did an engine rebuild a few years ago and after start up, the engine sounded like I had a rod knock at idle! Long story short...I pulled the engine TWICE before I realized that the oil pump drive gear bushing was well worn and allowed the gear to rock. I was pretty embarrassed that I had failed to check the oil pump drive while I was doing the rebuild. Maybe you have already checked it.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:53 PM   #7
19Fordy

mcgarrett: Thanks for posting that tid -bit of info. It's something easily forgotten. With all that oil you wouldn't think bushing would wear.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote