Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
funf

Default Newbie question

Hello,
First of all, let me introduce myself as I have only recently joined this forum. My name is Stuart and I am in England living in a ill age called Olveston which is just north of Bristol. Last year I bought a 1930 two door Tudor with the large engine, left hand drive. And was originally registered in Denmark so it has it's speedometer and odometer in kilometres. I have had to do some re-commissioning work on the car but am very pleased with it and really enjoy driving it.
But I would like to tap into the huge knowledge base here at the Barn; It has been accepted wisdom ( at least over here) that all cars have the maximum braking effort on the front axle, what with the weight of the engine over the axle (considerable for a model A) and the forward weight shift as cars decelerate, dictates that in the order of 75% of braking is done by the front wheels. The weight clamping the tyres to the road thus allowing a lot of braking effort.
However with A's, all the wisdom I can find tells owners to adjust the brakes so that the rear brakes come on first and that the fronts should only start to work when the reas are at or near maximum effort. (as per the books by Les Andrews).
So my should A owners not adjust the brakes to favour the fronts?
Be gentle with me!
Stuart
funf is offline   Reply With Quote