Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #21
Brian

Default Re: Can this be welded?

From 37 on they are zinc, the early ones are aluminum
Old 06-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #22
JWL
Member Emeritus

I will not say it CANNOT be welded. However, the alloy type is an unknown quantity and does not respond to any of the aluminum filler wires I have tried. If a compatible filler can be found welding might be an option. I, once, tried to use a second broken piece from which to obtain a piece of filler material and that did not wet in at all.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #23
Brian

These photos are of an early fuel pump mount that I modified the mounting flange on, by TIG welding, in order to mount the pump at an angle, which will prove these things can be welded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040242.JPG (158.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg P1040243.JPG (158.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-02-2021, 08:11 PM   #24
Jack E/NJ

tcm>>> it is unknown how long ago the JB weld was applied but I can tell you the ear of the flange is very solid.>>>

Well, if it was mine, I'd probably beautify/hide the JBWeld repair with a bit of aluminum enamel. Then repair or replace the pump itself. Put it all back together and run it. Then maybe casually search for a replacement stand at a good price. Cuz I'm not gonna pay a lot for a stand. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:30 PM   #25
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
tcm>>> it is unknown how long ago the JB weld was applied but I can tell you the ear of the flange is very solid.>>>

Well, if it was mine, I'd probably beautify/hide the JBWeld repair with a bit of aluminum enamel. Then repair or replace the pump itself. Put it all back together and run it. Then maybe casually search for a replacement stand at a good price. Cuz I'm not gonna pay a lot for a stand. 8^) Jack E/NJ
That is certainly an option. My concern is the cupped flange won't seat correctly. It's not much of a cup but it's enough to possibly allow passage for either liquid or air. Is there any appreciable pressure at that connection? Given my resources the only option I have would be to belt sand the ears as close to flat as I can then rely on the gasket. Any suggestions on gasketing? Double? Sealer? Rubber? Cork?
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:21 AM   #26
Jack E/NJ

I think liberally smearing wheel bearing grease on all the surfaces will seal it fine. Or butter RTV on them if it's that badly cupped. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:55 AM   #27
Bored&Stroked

If you're worried about a seal, just use some black RTV (so it doesn't stand out) - it will handle the cupped mating surface without a problem. There is very little vacuum or pressure to worry about, so as long as the RTV fills the area, you should have no problems.

With that said, there is some level of mechanical force applied to the housing via the up/down movement of the fuel pump push rod. Anybody who has installed a fuel pump with the cam driving lobe in the UP position has felt the spring pressure of the mechanism in the pump. This movement would apply some pressure to the flange itself. So if it was mine, I'd want to make sure there were no cracks or other weaknesses in the flange ears.

I would do the RTV dance in the near term and then find a replacement or a wonder welder.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #28
JWL
Member Emeritus

I was not aware the pre-37 were aluminum. I have never tried welding such an early unit. I probably have a couple but I am not going to break one to experiment with.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #29
Pete

No one has mentioned making a new one. There are probably 20 people on here that could make a new one from flat bar and tubing in about 3 hours.
If you count the ones that could do it with hand tools you could increase that number to 50.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:01 PM   #30
Farley's34

Contact Carter Cook @ (607) 287-5993 he is a master welder.

https://www.powerconsultingandtraining.com/carter-cook

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/carter-cook
Farley's34 is offline   Reply With Quote