Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2022, 01:57 PM   #1
ms fowler

Default Fender welting

I see several different styles of welting available. Which is "correct for 1938 Pickups?
Thanks
What about the seal at the top of the cowl where the hood sits? I assume it is different too.
ms fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:49 AM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Fender welting

Third Gen Automotive has the correct fender welting.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms fowler View Post
I see several different styles of welting available. Which is "correct for 1938 Pickups?
Thanks
What about the seal at the top of the cowl where the hood sits? I assume it is different too.
I do not believe the correct fender welt is no longer available from any source.
Roy Nacewicz used to provide it.
There are a number of vendors that sell decent stuff.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:09 PM   #4
ms fowler

Is the fender welting a flat strip of rubber ( vinyl) with a round bulb on the top end?
Old 04-22-2022, 08:41 PM   #5
tom1948

Thumbs up Re: Fender welting

yes, that would be the welting, when you install it, pull it taut, but not stretched. okhttps://www.fordbarn.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
tom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 12:01 AM   #6
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I do not believe the correct fender welt is no longer available from any source.
Roy Nacewicz used to provide it.
There are a number of vendors that sell decent stuff.

I'm glad for the time I was able to access Roy. It was a VERY BIG loss. Roy literally created bolts that were needed for a "stock" build. Some at a loss of money. Big big loss of a ford icon. I can't imagine buying a 38 truck offset hood support hard ware bolts today that are parkerize.

I did buy my fender welt from drake. It worked fine. Not sure how anyone gets true ford parts. If you paint a car with modern paint, its not a ford orginal car but a restored car. I guess there is a bit of hypocrisy and just how it is.

Yes, it has a bead.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-23-2022 at 12:23 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 02:46 PM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I'm glad for the time I was able to access Roy. It was a VERY BIG loss. Roy literally created bolts that were needed for a "stock" build. Some at a loss of money. Big big loss of a ford icon. I can't imagine buying a 38 truck offset hood support hard ware bolts today that are parkerize.

I did buy my fender welt from drake. It worked fine. Not sure how anyone gets true ford parts. If you paint a car with modern paint, its not a ford orginal car but a restored car. I guess there is a bit of hypocrisy and just how it is.

Yes, it has a bead.
Hi ya Tink!
I am so glad to see you have returned after your recent health issue. Also, it appears your language skills are coming back fairly reasonably. That's super good news as you know.
Last time we'd spoken, I had told you about my Mom and her experience. Not nearly as good as a recovery as you seem to be having.
Keep it up!

Anyway, the welt... here's a brief description of the correct welt:
A piece of black anti-squeak material, most commonly referred to as welting, was pinched between the fender and body. No concerted effort was made to finish the ends of the material. Rather, it was simply cut off near the trailing end of the fender. Regardless of body color the anti squeak material was black and had a fine grain texture.
I have attached both a copy of the drawing as well as a photograph for yours and everyone else's benefit.

Take care my friend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (5.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg P1100563.JPG (159.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Hi ya Tink!
I am so glad to see you have returned after your recent health issue. Also, it appears your language skills are coming back fairly reasonably. That's super good news as you know.
Last time we'd spoken, I had told you about my Mom and her experience. Not nearly as good as a recovery as you seem to be having.
Keep it up!

WOW Tinker! I didn't realize that you had experienced some sort of incapacitation, or communicative event. That would explain my confusion trying to comprehend any meaning in some of your replies in the past. Glad to have you back, and on the mend cognitively. Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:24 PM   #9
ms fowler

Glad for everyone's good health. and thanks for the dimensions of the welting. The truck is not intended to be judged, but I still want it as close as we can reasonably make it---especially--no SBC under the hood!
Old 04-23-2022, 08:31 PM   #10
nelsb01

I would check with Third Gen.
Why? Because he bought Roy's heavy duty sewing machine that Roy created the fender welting on.
And I know that the sewing machine is still there, as I was at Third Gen this past Thursday.

And, i agree. I miss Roy also and our phone calls about all things hockey. One of his grandsons now plays for the Saint Louis Blues.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:32 PM   #11
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
WOW Tinker! I didn't realize that you had experienced some sort of incapacitation, or communicative event. That would explain my confusion trying to comprehend any meaning in some of your replies in the past. Glad to have you back, and on the mend cognitively. Coop

Well that's just Kube making a joke or running me down. Cognitively I'm just as normal as I've ever been haha . I just spend less time on here. WOW, Not like I would defame anyone's character here, certainly when I've not talked to them on pm's for years, which was regarding about there own proclaimed OCD issues. Gets a bit toxic here sometimes. If you ever disagree with the regular posters, they do gang up on ya. haha. A few here ran Ol'Henry off, it was fun when it lasted. Coop you have never liked me since I voiced I'm not a fan of t5 transmissions.

Guess I will have to check in every few weeks and see what some are saying about me.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-25-2022 at 01:41 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:10 AM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
A few here ran Ol'Henry off, it was fun when it lasted. Coop you have never liked me since I voiced I'm not a fan of t5 transmissions.

See, there's some of that "cognitive" stuff I mentioned sneakin' back on ya. First of all, "Ol' Henry" is a worn-out, band-aided '47 Ford owned by Craig McAllister. Craig 'ran himself off' when he got tired of us Ford Barners and started piddling with model airplanes. Then, Craig announced that he and his wife were leaving in a couple of months to serve a full time mission for the church in Hong Kong for 18 months. Nobody ran him off! And you MAY have voiced a negative opinion of the T5 to the Easter Bunny, but I never got the OFFICIAL word until now. And I say that's great news, Tink...great that you're not wasting any T5s for the guys that DO appreciate them. Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #13
tubman

Queue the theme from "The Twilight Zone".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:55 AM   #14
Don W/Norfolk

Okay, enough, girls. Break is over, back on your heads!!!!
Old 04-25-2022, 12:41 PM   #15
rotorwrench

Ford use the pyroxilin impregnated cloth that was wrapped around the welt cord in similar fashion to welting used for seat covers and such. The dope & fabric cloth is not so easy to find now days but it can be fabricated. Nitro cellulose dope on pre-shrunk cotton cloth will work or a person can sew up the welt with a walking foot machine and the correct size welt foot and then soak the welt in aircraft dope then hang it up and let it dry out. The stuff can be pre-painted or painted on the vehicle depending on originality concerns and how a person wants it to look.

When a person fabricates it, it allows to make the tail as long as necessary to help pull the stuff into position during installation. If you can't get a hold of the tail then a few extensions can be sewn on & trimmed off after the stuff is well positioned and secure.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:50 PM   #16
35fordtn

We did buy out Roy and have sold thousands of feet of his welting. Model A guys in particular love it.. The issues currently is due to Covid restrictions we are unable to get the material (imported from England) for at least another 6-8 weeks. We have been out for going on 45 days now. Just as Roy did, I sew this stuff in our shop using the same sewing Machine his father started using in 1946.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:13 PM   #17
rotorwrench

The model A gas tank on the 28 & 29 cars really only fit well with the original thickness and material type welt. You bet the model A guys like it.

Those restrictions should be lifted before too God awful long.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:58 AM   #18
ms fowler

I appreciate the lengths some of you true "restorers" go to for authenticity. Not going to happen for this project, but its nice to see the dedication to correctness is alive and well.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:02 AM   #19
corvette8n

Kube thanks for the drawing and pictures, looking down from the top at my fender welt I couldn’t even imagine how it was constructed.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:48 AM   #20
rotorwrench

A lot of it is plastic or rubber type material now days. In most cases it is problematic to get it to fit like the original stuff did. Some of the modern stuff it too big and these kinds of things can play hell to get it to fit and look right. If a person can be satisfied with it then use it. Rubber doesn't last well with extended time in the sun light. It will deteriorate and eventually crack up into pieces.