Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2022, 10:53 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Need A Screw Driver

I lost my 3/8" wide flat blade screwdriver that I used for the distributor cam screw. After searching in many many places, I have not found a 3/8" wide flat blade screwdriver. Where can I get one?
Old 05-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #2
BillCNC

Default Re: Need A Screw Driver

I got mine from Harbour Frieght a few years back. It's the largest one they carry. I just measured the tip and it's .350", only a 32nd under 3/8".

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:25 AM   #3
Patrick L.

You can always make one fit.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:31 AM   #4
Brentwood Bob

Ace hardware carrys the craftsman stubby one. Several with different blade thicknesses.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #5
nkaminar

https://www.mcmaster.com/screwdriver...iver/size~3-8/

They go up to 5/8
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:31 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

Snap-On,
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:15 PM   #7
katy

Proto and probably others make a 3/8" blade that fits on a 3/8" square drive.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

Thanks all for your tips.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:47 AM   #9
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Snap-On,
Paul in CT
I would not recommend a Snap-on screwdriver. Unless they have changed the material the handles are made of in recent years, it will deteriorate in a few years. Everyone I bought did the same thing. They will crack and become brittle and finally break off. Good luck getting them replaced

Two things I have learned over the years. Don't buy Snap-On Screwdrivers or Timing Lights.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Snap-on.jpeg (92.3 KB, 227 views)

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:54 AM   #10
The Master Cylinder

I bought these bits from Amazon.com for the wide blades. 5/16" drive.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 05-16-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:56 AM   #11
rotorwrench

Snap On dealers will replace the handle with no charge or replace the entire screw driver. The only problem is that the latest style driver will be the replacement and it may not match an older style. They finally moved away from the type of plastic that chemically deteriorated but it took quite a few warranty replacements before they finally did. I've had many a handle and driver blade replaced and it never cost me anything.

My 40 year old Snap On timing light still works just fine. Not a lot of cars even need a timing light in this day and age.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #12
jrelliott

Instead of throwing away the screw driver just make one out of a hard wood like oak or ash and turn on a lathe where rounded then drill out the hole for the back end. Wood would last a lot longer than plastic.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:01 AM   #13
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Snap On dealers will replace the handle with no charge or replace the entire screw driver. The only problem is that the latest style driver will be the replacement and it may not match an older style.
Haha, The only problem, good luck catching up with a "dealer".

Old 05-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #14
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
Haha, The only problem, good luck catching up with a "dealer".

And if you do and you're not a professional or regular customer the chances of getting a replacement are slim to none. I bought a Snap On stubby 3/8 ratchet at a yard sale with stripped gears. Luckily a buddy who has a shop had a new dealer wanting his business so he was able to get it repaired. Best 50 cents I ever spent. Per the dealer the ratchet was made in 1969.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:01 AM   #15
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
I would not recommend a Snap-on screwdriver. Unless they have changed the material the handles are made of in recent years, it will deteriorate in a few years. Everyone I bought did the same thing. They will crack and become brittle and finally break off. Good luck getting them replaced

Two things I have learned over the years. Don't buy Snap-On Screwdrivers or Timing Lights.

My snap-ons did the same, they look good...but they don't work good
That may explain why I have not bought snap-on tools in decades
I still go to the flea market to search\buy old tools, they can be cleaned up...and they work without breaking...and they're cheap
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:38 PM   #16
rotorwrench

I know where my Snapy dealer lives. He will get me whatever I need in one way or another. I haven't bought a screw driver in years. Some folks will pay more for a good quality antique screw driver than they will for one with a life time warranty that is made in US. All of them wear out. Folks used to buy Craftsman at their Sears & Sawbucks store but they don't anymore. They all buy the cheap stuff and they get what they pay for.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:03 PM   #17
Ruth

Quote:
Some folks will pay more for a good quality antique screw driver than they will for one with a life time warranty that is made in US.
A life time warranty is only good if you can find someone to honor that warranty. I have had the same problem with getting a Snap-on dealer to honor that warranty unless you are a regular customer.

And the screwdrivers, has anyone else had a terrible smelling substance oozing from the handle of Snap-on screwdrivers, then crack and break. I have had several do that. Others just crack.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:20 AM   #18
rotorwrench

The modern ones from say 2000 on have been very reliable. My first set was 1980 vintage and they all went south years ago. I wear the bits out before the handle on the modern ones. The phillips head drivers wear out faster than a straight blade since most screws are phillips in aviation. Now days we use more and more torx type screws so a person has to get a replaceable bit type driver to do those.

The Snappy man came to me and yes, their tools are expensive but I've abused them time and time again and I still have most of the ones I originally purchased over 40-years ago. I still have all the old ratchets but most have the replacement titanium gear sets that I paid no money for after repairs. I bought all that stuff so long ago that it was cheap by todays standards. Snap on doesn't even make a lot of it any more. I'll never regret investing in good quality US built tools. I made a lot of green with them. I always had good relationships with Snap On dealers. Some are even old car and motorcycle buffs themselves. They always bent over backwards to get things for me. One that was a gun dealer even gave me a valuable gift for bailing him out on a deal where a customer reneged on an order. I needed the tool box anyway and got a bonus out of the deal.

If you want a good flat blade screw driver that your ancestors may have used to work on a model A distributor cam then look for a larger blade H.D. Smith & Co. "perfect handle" screw driver. They are still out there. http://alloy-artifacts.org/hd-smith-company.html

Gunson is the modern day equivalent but I don't think they are made in the US anymore.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-17-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:20 AM   #19
jb-ob

Bob,

Not exactly what you are looking for, I do find this one works very well adjusting the Model A distributor cams.

Ebay # 284817472574 (not connected to this sale) jb
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:27 PM   #20
51504bat

Quote:
The modern ones from say 2000 on have been very reliable. My first set was 1980 vintage and they all went south years ago. I wear the bits out before the handle on the modern ones. The phillips head drivers wear out faster than a straight blade since most screws are phillips in aviation. Now days we use more and more torx type screws so a person has to get a replaceable bit type driver to do those.

The Snappy man came to me and yes, their tools are expensive but I've abused them time and time again and I still have most of the ones I originally purchased over 40-years ago. I still have all the old ratchets but most have the replacement titanium gear sets that I paid no money for after repairs. I bought all that stuff so long ago that it was cheap by todays standards. Snap on doesn't even make a lot of it any more. I'll never regret investing in good quality US built tools. I made a lot of green with them. I always had good relationships with Snap On dealers. Some are even old car and motorcycle buffs themselves. They always bent over backwards to get things for me. One that was a gun dealer even gave me a valuable gift for bailing him out on a deal where a customer reneged on an order. I needed the tool box anyway and got a bonus out of the deal.

If you want a good flat blade screw driver that your ancestors may have used to work on a model A distributor cam then look for a larger blade H.D. Smith & Co. "perfect handle" screw driver. They are still out there. http://alloy-artifacts.org/hd-smith-company.html

Gunson is the modern day equivalent but I don't think they are made in the US anymore.

Snap On is now making some of its tools off shore as well. Most hand tools are still US made but for how long?
https://agradetools.com/snap-on-usa-or-china/