Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2022, 11:15 PM   #1
JHarley

Default Engine questions

Hey guys, i bought this replacement engine about a month ago. It is a 239 bored .040 over and to my surprise it has a 4"crank. It isn't a fresh rebuild, but no ridge on cylinders and rotates seemingly fine. I dont want to tear it all apart but I want to remove all of the grime. Is it safe to steam clean the engine (crankcase and lifter gallery) without causing any damage? And also has anyone ever ran these main cap supports that Speedway sells?
Thanks, Julie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220506_212920.jpg (36.7 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 20220506_212929.jpg (42.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 20220506_213022.jpg (37.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 20220506_220127.jpg (39.1 KB, 101 views)
JHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:27 PM   #2
JHarley

Default Re: Engine questions

Here is a pic of some of the crud in the lifter gallery. Should I just send it and change the oil several times?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220417_171238.jpg (51.0 KB, 143 views)
Old 05-07-2022, 01:48 AM   #3
frnkeore

I think it would be fine, if you take precautions.

Make sure you use a steam cleaner and not just a high pressure washer and get it heat soaked, so it will dry fast.

Hand oil the internal areas and last, turn it over, with the pickup in oil, until you see oil flowing at the rods.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:01 AM   #4
mercman from oz

Julie's 239 Flathead V8
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:40 AM   #5
Ol' Ron

Those main cap reinforcements are unnecessary for most modifications, like hi boost blower ot nitro additive. Lucky find,steam clean should work just fine. good luck
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #6
JHarley

Thanks fellas. We have a Hotsy at work that I can use. I will get it good and hot and then oil it all right after. The seller hadn't said anything about it being a 4"crank, so I feel like I scored pretty well. The engine was supposedly some reputable local flathead guys spare a couple owners ago. Been sitting under a work bench for a few years. While it is tempting to do a full rebuild, I am so anxious to get it back in my pickup and get it running, so will run it as is. I could plasti-gauge it but think I will take my chances as is. Getting my radiator rebuilt at a local shop.
One more thing. Replacement 239 came with aluminum heads. The Offy paperwork says to torque them from one side to the other like you would if applying a decal. Seems so weird and against everything I have been taught about torque sequence, but I guess Offenhauser knows more about heads/engines than I do by a smidge��
Old 05-07-2022, 09:47 AM   #7
flatjack9

As long as you torque in increments, it makes no difference.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:52 PM   #8
deuce_roadster

My late friend who built my flatheads had seen those kind of main cap straps cause the cap to break right at the apex. Like Ron said, you don't need those.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:47 PM   #9
jimTN

I think a Hotsy is a pressure washer. If so, would not use it because it will drive grit in where you do not want it. Turn the engine on its tail and wash down in the valve valley then tip it over to drain.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:56 PM   #10
Pete

Those main cap straps are not required unless you are seriously racing. They require special installation procedures to work right.

John Bradley one of the fastest flathead drag racers that ever lived used them.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:30 PM   #11
cadillac512

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
I think a Hotsy is a pressure washer. If so, would not use it because it will drive grit in where you do not want it. Turn the engine on its tail and wash down in the valve valley then tip it over to drain.

I vote this way. I build engines for a living and washing a partially assembled engine with either water or steam is just not the best idea. Maybe get a siphon type blow gun and clean up that valley area and drain as jimTN suggests or use a good parts washer type brush with diesel fuel/kerosene/solvent and do it that way. Water has a way of getting where it's not wanted.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:19 PM   #12
cas3

I have to agree with this ^^^ . If you have the motor mounted on an engine stand, you could wash it out with gravity to your advantage. Napa sells a 1 qt spray gun that clips on to a tire air chuck, so you can spray mineral spirits or diesel fuel and wash it out so the dirt falls into a pan instead of being pressure washed into areas you can not control. Napa also sells a large tin pan, about 3' x 5' that would hold the crud that washes out. Many of these old fords have that pan underneath where they sleep at night !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:16 AM   #13
Bored&Stroked

I like the ideas of diesel fuel or mineral oil to wash things down. If it was mine, I'd take it apart and clean the heck out of it - probably cost you a weekend of time and $250 in gaskets.

But, if you're going to do the "quick and dirty" method, then consider using a pressure tank to pump some oil through it while the pan is off and rotate the crank while doing so. This would re-lubricate the bearings - which isn't a bad idea before you start it. I'd also at least pull the oil pump, take it apart - check it out, etc.. If in doubt, put a new oil pump in it.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:17 AM   #14
Bored&Stroked

Also, on those main cap supports - you won't need them and if you were going to use them, the right way to install them is to align bore/hone the mains afterwards - to ensure that the center main bore isn't distorted from the torque the center support puts on the middle of the cap.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:20 AM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Also, I don't like what appears to be rust on the valve springs . . . do you see rust other places? Getting rust into the oil and running through the bearings isn't such a good thing.

I'd take it all apart, clean everything out, check the valve faces/seats, etc.. If the valves/seats look good, use some fine compound and lap them to check each one. Again - probably a weekend of time to know exactly what you have and the condition of everything in the engine.

Also, this makes it possible to put good assembly lube in all the right places - before you start the engine (which is also a very good thing). It has been sitting for a lot of years - things will be a bit "dry".

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 05-08-2022 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:51 AM   #16
marko39

I would want to check my valve lash as it doesn’t get much easier.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:51 AM   #17
cadillac512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Also, I don't like what appears to be rust on the valve springs . . . do you see rust other places? Getting rust into the oil and running through the bearings isn't such a good thing.

I'd take it all apart, clean everything out, check the valve faces/seats, etc.. If the valves/seats look good, use some fine compound and lap them to check each one. Again - probably a weekend of time to know exactly what you have and the condition of everything in the engine.

^^^ This is also what I'd do if it were mine. It looks to quite possibly be a nice piece and would be a shame to damage it to save some time. I know it all adds up and delays the process but in the end it's always worth it in my experience. Congrats on getting a really nice combination though...it'll make you smile when you get it running and driving!

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #18
Ol' Ron

With the 4" crank, you have 255 ci. Now if it's bored oversize it will be more. Now this will increase your Cr as well. So consider milling the heads to add more. Unfortunately, adding a Cam will reduce the CR, depending on the duration. The L-100 will knock of more than a point. These things are important so the application of the engine is important, I doubt vey much you'll see the price of gas come down much in the future, so a well tuned Flathead can give you exelent fuel milages for a daily driver. Pulling this engine apart and going through it might be a good idea. Might consider a full flow oii filter as well. they don't cost much.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:12 PM   #19
JHarley

All good points and I will contemplate all of it. The supports caps will be a no go for me. I appreciate the input.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:48 PM   #20
Tinker

Ol' Ron you are right as usual. As oil companies are making record profit ever quarter now, I wouldn't expect the price to go down anytime soon. Stock holders would not like that. I'm a stock holder. Geezzz if only I went all in with Tesla stock 10 yrs ago.

But a well tuned car runs better and also doesn't wash cylinders with excess gas. Efficiency and maintance is just smart.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-09-2022 at 12:54 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote