Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2022, 08:43 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default I'm all dressed up for the dance

Just noticed there is gonna be a car show on a neighboring island tomorrow. The woodie has never been to a car show ... 'Finished' in 2019, but of course covid.... Then there's the fact that I don't go to car shows anyways. It is being put on by a Highschool senior. In our county it is a requirement to do a 'senior project' along with your good grades to graduate from high school. This project is often a community service or something similar. The young man putting the show on has chosen this for his senior project. I put a light hose to the wagon this afternoon and dried it with a towel. 3 years on the dirt road left a lot of dust at the joints. All that not withstanding, my buddy is gonna meet me at the ferry landing in the morning in his '67 122 volvo wagon converted to a pickup, The 'El Volino' and we will hit Friday Harbor and show them how we do it on Orcas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie wash 1.jpg (128.3 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg woodie wash 2.jpg (145.8 KB, 393 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-22-2022 at 08:50 PM.
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:06 PM   #2
mercman from oz

Default Re: I'm all dressed up for the dance

G B SISSON's Ford Commercial based Woody
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:19 PM   #3
JayChicago

That’s great! And you will help make the kid’s show a success. Hope you have good weather and a good time.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:27 PM   #4
19Fordy

Well done. It's great that a highschool senior is promoting such an event.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:34 PM   #5
51504bat

Nice that you're supporting a student's project. You'll be styling in the woodie for sure. Pictures, we like pictures.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:40 PM   #6
GB SISSON

I have done some correspondence with a high school guy in Friday Harbor about jailbar trucks and parts. I think he may be the guy putting it on. I'm guessing he is having a busy night and I have had a hell week of 'self employed small business owner' for the past 5 days. Yes, I will have pictures!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-22-2022, 09:40 PM   #7
tubman

Cool project. Make sure you get a picture of the "el Volino" and post it. It's OT, but it sounds interesting.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:43 PM   #8
40cpe

Enjoy the day! I hope they recognize the significance of the woody.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:48 PM   #9
cas3

By golly you're gonna be the star of the show I bet ! have fun. PS I drove a 122 wagon about 100k in the 80's
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:36 PM   #10
tomcarman

What a great idea for the Senior! Wish I could shoot on up there. Maybe it will help cheer Friday Harbor up after the fire. I've been to a few car shows where it was predominately teens and the energy they put into their cars is fantastic. Brings back memories and it's admirable a senior project is still required in your area. I hope you let them know many Ford Barn members are interested in the attendance with pictures, keeping in mind it's a different generation with different cars but with the same enthusiasm.
Tom
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:57 PM   #11
Ray in La Mesa

Kool project, hope it all goes well. So great to see interest by the younger folk being encouraged by us Greybeards! Hi Gary-Ray
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:03 PM   #12
Tinker

I'd guess, it'll be a hit for a few or more that know what they are looking at. Have fun!!!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:06 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
What a great idea for the Senior! Wish I could shoot on up there. Maybe it will help cheer Friday Harbor up after the fire. I've been to a few car shows where it was predominately teens and the energy they put into their cars is fantastic. Brings back memories and it's admirable a senior project is still required in your area. I hope you let them know many Ford Barn members are interested in the attendance with pictures, keeping in mind it's a different generation with different cars but with the same enthusiasm.
Tom
I attend a Thursday night bonfire/cookout on occasiion with the younger group of car nuts. I'm kinda like 'Old Pops' when I show up in one of my jailbars. They sit around the fire and talk about 'square body' chevys and 'twin turbo supras' amongst other less interesting things. They give me slack and I give them theirs. They are guys that like cars built before they were born and make an effort to learn how to keep them running and improve their performance. We cannot expect them to like our stuff. Heck, I never even thought about having a model T. Just too 'old'.....
Old 04-22-2022, 11:12 PM   #14
Tinker

I'm "stuck" being that guy that runs a basically stock 36 and 38 ford. Just whom I am. I've heard all the suggestions and add the numbers and cards to my glovebox when I will sell.

It's fun just talking cars too. Just because my car is stock, doesn't mean I don't know anything about turbos or superchargers, etc. Been a bit interested in electric cars lately.

If you don't show up, no one will know what it could be or how it was. Being the odd man out, is a good thing.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-22-2022 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:30 PM   #15
GB SISSON

I'm gonna think that the vast majority at any car show, no matter who puts in on will be OUR age. Just think of the crowd at any of the swap meets we attend. If our hair isn;t gray, it's white. Here's my buddy's El Volino. At 72 years old he spent most of his adult life delivering propane throughout these islands. Since the trucks can't be boarded onto a state ferry due to haz-mat regs, they load and unload from front load barges (D-Day) style and creep up the local boat launch ramps or gravel beaches and then onto their destinations. We travel to car stuff together, and when backing a trailer I just look at him and we switch places. Here's one of his cooler rigs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg El Volino 1.JPG (117.0 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg El Volino 2.JPG (105.6 KB, 362 views)
Old 04-22-2022, 11:33 PM   #16
Tinker

That moss is going to do damage to that roof!!!

Very Cool car/truck!
Old 04-22-2022, 11:53 PM   #17
cas3

One of my hero's that passed recently made an "el camino" out of an early dodge colt. Remember when gas prices went nuts in the late 70's, my hero Don, quite "frugal" , made the pickup out of a 50 MPG car to replace his gas hog pickup. He was a master craftsman of all things, life long A&P with commercial airlines, the thing was gorgeous, but after the thrill wore off, and gas went down, it sat in the shed for the next 20 years or so, and sadly nobody would pay anywhere near what it was worth when it sold. I wish now I had it if nothing else for the memory of my friend
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:56 PM   #18
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Here's my buddy's El Volino. At 72 years old he spent most of his adult life delivering propane throughout these islands.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:49 AM   #19
mfirth

Really cool GB. Good on you & have a GR8 time helping that kid & "showing" that neat Jailbar.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:47 AM   #20
sugarmaker

Gary,
For sure looking forward to the pictures of the car show! Your friends custom car looks very good. He did nice work on that!
Your jailbar will be a real hit too.
Regards.
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote